Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats More Important GCSE or A-Levels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    That's like saying what's more important, money or food? You need both.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs! Because I got absolutely crap grades for my A-levels but miraculously got into Uni, LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Life)
    Whats more Important GCSE at high school year 11 or A-levels at college/sixthform?

Thanks.
    That's like asking what's more important: Year 1 study or Year 13 study.

I mean yes, GCSE will lay a foundation for your future, but it is actually the A Levels that people will be asking for unless you go to university, when your degree is what people want to know.

ReputationRep:
    Well I assume both GCSEs and A-level crucial because firstly without GCSEs you will not able to do A-Level unless if you re-take it. And A-levels will lead you into uni.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, when you're 25 and applying for a job somewhere who is going to care about exams you took when you were 16.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I've found that nobody really gives a **** about GCSE's apart from the people studying for them and the teachers that teach them.

ReputationRep:
    Past college, the only GCSEs that matter to employers are English and Maths. As long as the employers sees that you passed those he knows you're not a total buffoon. I don't even think it's necessary to list any other individual ones on your CV, just a summary of your grades...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah unless they are below a C GCSEs aren't that important, most people just write 'X GCSEs at grade C or above' on their CVs. I didn't get anything above a B and have conditional offers from 3 russell group unis.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say A-levels, as they open up so much; higher education, all the careers that are inaccessible without a degree, slightly better jobs that would be availible with only GCSEs.

GCSEs are only important if you don't do A-levels and go to university, I would say; it's all people like that have to show for their education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhotas)
    At the end of the day, when you're 25 and applying for a job somewhere who is going to care about exams you took when you were 16.
    This, exactly.

I was thirteen when I got my first GCSE :lolwut: my school was weird.

To be honest, I don't even really think that GCSEs are a measure of ability or intelligence, but rather a measure of how well you are taught; I know an awful lot of people from college who went to very good schools, got 10A*s and are now C grade students at A-level, whereas some people who got maybe a smattering of C grades and a few B grades at GCSE are now A/B grade students at college.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say GCSEs to be honest. Since i've never seen a job advertising for an A-level, whilst i have seen them asking for certain grades in English and Maths. Also, A levels become overlooked in a lot of cases if you've earnt a good degree, unless you're applying to graduate programs.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it's possible to go to uni without any A-levels (BTECS, HE diplomas, mature students with relevant life experience etc.) but you still need a C or above in English and maths GCSE. So I would say GCSEs are important, but depending on the student's own context, it's hard to say which one.

ReputationRep:
    Neither. I can hardly remember my GCSE grades & subjects as for a-level i rememver grades & subjects but not details

Has it affected me or made a difference? Nope diddly squat. Whats with all the tarded questions on here?!

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs mean **** all.

A-Levels/IB/equivalents are where it's at - a lot more work involved.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say both are important, but A levels slightly more.

Its because, you need the right GCSE results to actually get into the A level subjects you want to do...and if you dont get in, then you're future plans may be affected quite a bit..

with A levels, they're quiet important once you're starting to apply to university...because that determines what you're going to do/be for the rest of you're life...for most people anyway (some people change degrees but thats a different story)

but even at that moment in time...because of the high demand for uni (not sure about next year because of the tuition fees! ahem ), universities now look, even more so, at GCSE results...to try and differentiate between applicants with similar A level grades etc etc...

went on quiet a bit there lol..

so i guess they're equally important...just depends what stage you're at from an academic point of view....

hope i helped!

ReputationRep:
    To getting into a good uni, both are vital. If you're aiming for medicine which is a highly competitive degree, A-levels will of course be extremely important as most Uni's will expect nothing less than ABB/AAA really, and amazing GCSE'S will help set you apart from those who just did average and then worked harder for A-level. Obviously good grades aren't enough however, extra-curricular work etc activities and an all-rounded person with a great personal statement will all help getting into Uni etc.

ReputationRep:
    What if you got LOW GCSE and then high a-levels? Like AAA or AAB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.