Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    1) Indian / Sri-Lankan
    2) Swedish / Norway / Denmark
    3) Not sure American?
    4) Spanish and ?

As you can see I'm not very good Out of interest why do you think Americans are able to spot diff races better? Because they're less xenophobic? More central geographically so have a more diverse culture? Sounds interesting
    I was arguing that it was due to America's diverse culture. Just being surrounded by different ethnicities would cause people to be more aware of at the very least the physical differences. Also many European countries are purely of one ethnicity, so I could easily show the contrast.

Judging by most responses, I think i am right. 1,2, and 4 almost everyone I surveryed got right. Many got #3, as well and 1 of the two ethnicities of #5. So far, with the exception of #1 (which I conscider really easy) everything on here is wrong, so I think I am right to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie-23)
    I was arguing that it was due to America's diverse culture. Just being surrounded by different ethnicities would cause people to be more aware of at the very least the physical differences. Also many European countries are purely of one ethnicity, so I could easily show the contrast.

Judging by most responses, I think i am right. 1,2, and 4 almost everyone I surveryed got right. Many got #3, as well and 1 of the two ethnicities of #5. So far, with the exception of #1 (which I conscider really easy) everything on here is wrong, so I think I am right to some extent.
    by "everyone I surveryed" I ment everyone I surveyed in america.

ReputationRep:
    please!! i need a few more guesses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    The first girl looks South Indian/Bangladeshi..No clue about the rest of them though..

(Original post by phill232)
    by guessing

1 Indian/Sri Lankan
    2 Central European
    2 Turkish
    2 East European

(Original post by asdfg0987)
    First looks south asian and the fourth looks weird

(Original post by CapnHooch)
    Foreign?
    On a serious note, I have no idea...
    >.<

(Original post by $tar£reaker)
    1) Indian or Sri Lankan
    2) Eastern European
    3)Mediteranian or from the middle east
    4) European idk where though
    5) Singapore or something?

(Original post by darkxangel)
    1)indian/sri lankan
    2)polish and russian/ukrainian
    3)french
    4)english
    5)taiwanese and filipino

meh, i'm not good at this.

(Original post by HumanNature1992)
    2nd girl is hot.

(Original post by Peel)
    1) Indian / Sri-Lankan
    2) Swedish / Norway / Denmark
    3) Not sure American?
    4) Spanish and ?

As you can see I'm not very good Out of interest why do you think Americans are able to spot diff races better? Because they're less xenophobic? More central geographically so have a more diverse culture? Sounds interesting
    The thread died, so here are the answers if you want to know.
    1) Indian
    2) Irish and German
    3) Puerto Rican
    4) Italian
    5) French and Hong Kong

ReputationRep:
    I'm Irish and I didn't recognise the second as being Irish because......... we don't all look the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by $tar£reaker)
    I'm Irish and I didn't recognise the second as being Irish because......... we don't all look the same
    I understand your point and I agree that clearly not everyone looks the same. I beleive that maybe because you live in Ireland you notice differences more then similarities, but that is just a hypothesis. I think there is something to be said, however, for the fact that I surveryed 30 Americans using this picture, and only two couldn't tell she was part Irish.

(I do admit though that their may be experimental error due to the fact that the American's I interviewed knew her last name was Healy, which is a bit of a give away. I am taking numbers two and four out of my essay because of this.)

It's like taking a Korean, Japanese person and a Chinese person. Clearly within their respective cultures everyone looks completley unique, but take those people out of their respective cultures and most of the world could identify their country of origin (or at least the fact that they come from western asia.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie-23)
    I understand your point and I agree that clearly not everyone looks the same. I beleive that maybe because you live in Ireland you notice differences more then similarities, but that is just a hypothesis. I think there is something to be said, however, for the fact that I surveryed 30 Americans using this picture, and only two couldn't tell she was part Irish.

(I do admit though that their may be experimental error due to the fact that the American's I interviewed knew her last name was Healy, which is a bit of a give away. I am taking numbers two and four out of my essay because of this.)

It's like taking a Korean, Japanese person and a Chinese person. Clearly within their respective cultures everyone looks completley unique, but take those people out of their respective cultures and most of the world could identify their country of origin (or at least the fact that they come from western asia.)
    then youre test was flawed. Many assumptions about peoples backgrounds are subconciously made through their last name. I agree with the comment that not all irish people look alike and comming from an Irish person I couldnt tell the difference between and Irish person from an English, Scottish or Welsh because generally apart from the high proportion of ginger people in Ireland and scotland there just isnt one and to assume that Italien people based on first appearence can be told apart from other europeans is somewhat flawed also as I have friends who look mediteranian and at first glance people will swear theyre spanish but of course theyre not whilst I have a friend at school from turkey and shes blond and has the same skin tone as I do yet both her parents are turkish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phill232)
    then youre test was flawed. Many assumptions about peoples backgrounds are subconciously made through their last name. I agree with the comment that not all irish people look alike and comming from an Irish person I couldnt tell the difference between and Irish person from an English, Scottish or Welsh because generally apart from the high proportion of ginger people in Ireland and scotland there just isnt one and to assume that Italien people based on first appearence can be told apart from other europeans is somewhat flawed also as I have friends who look mediteranian and at first glance people will swear theyre spanish but of course theyre not whilst I have a friend at school from turkey and shes blond and has the same skin tone as I do yet both her parents are turkish.
    I said that I recognized my data from 2 of the pics was flawed and therefore am extracing it from my essay. Honestly though, by first glance there are many differences that can be assosiated with a region and are easy to spot. Some ethnicities more than others. i never said that they all looked alike, I just said that you could tell their nation of origin due to some physical features, and Irish as an example is one of the most easy ethnicities to pin point, and not the because of the red hair. The fact that you are claiming to have issues identifying diffeent cultures further proves my thesis. And just so you know, mediteranian looking is not an identifier of the Italians. The two girls I used as an example were Northern italian and very pale, yet easily identifiable as Italian by a combo of the sharper bone structure, dark eyes and hair as well slightly higher cheek bones. As I previously mentioned, this isn't always true and there are exceptions within every ethnicity, but on a larger scale it does seem to hold true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.