Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Skiing/Snowboarding - Do you wear a helmet? Watch

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickie89)
    sorry. not with it, i didnt mean to write that as i rewrote it as i was typing and didnt mean to leave that bit in (if you get what i mean).
    Ha ha yeah I know what you mean, brain and fingers don't connect from time to time. Sorry for ranting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Ha ha yeah I know what you mean, brain and fingers don't connect from time to time. Sorry for ranting.
    its fine

ReputationRep:
    OP,

It's worth checking your insurance policy, too. A lot of companies now have it in their small print that you must be wearing helmets for their policy to count. I've heard of people who've broken their legs but thad their claim refused because they weren't wearing a helmet... So, it's either £~60 for a lid, or £10k+ for the med bill...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applemilk1992)
    Going on my first snowboarding holiday soon, over new year, after a few sessions on the indoor snow ski slope (chill factor manchester) and i've been accquiring some gear for it - jacket, pants, gloves, goggles etc. One thing i've heard mixed opinions on - should I be wearing a helmet? I know as a beginner I should, i'm more likely to make mistakes and injure myself - plus it's just good sense, but out of curiosity, out of you skiers/snowboarders, how many of you wear helmets?

All I can find, opinion wise, is either 'wouldnt be seen dead without one' or 'naw, ive never had an accident in 43534543 years of boarding, dont bother' + the shiny ski equipment brochures have people NOT wearing helmets

I'm going to wear one, but who here actually does when boarding/skiing?
    Eyyy, I'm right near Chill Factore too! (Woo man chest hair!) :p:

Personally I'd say definitely wear a helmet. I'm an experienced skiier and I still do. My sister is a highly experienced snowboarder and she wouldn't ever go without it.
    You could always borrow or rent one if you don't want to buy one yourself. (I understand, they are expensive!)

Better sorry than safe, I guess.

Have fun

ReputationRep:
    I used to never wear a helmet while I was snowboarding. Then I learnt the hard way. After that I started wearing helmets.

Thinking of snowboarding, I'd really love to go now. Bummer that I've got no time.

ReputationRep:
    I do. I don't see why not.

Warm, dry head. Cheap to buy. Head is much more protected.

However it must be goggles, glasses + helmet = :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Going on my first snowboarding holiday soon, over new year, after a few sessions on the indoor snow ski slope (chill factor manchester) and i've been accquiring some gear for it - jacket, pants, gloves, goggles etc. One thing i've heard mixed opinions on - should I be wearing a helmet? I know as a beginner I should, i'm more likely to make mistakes and injure myself - plus it's just good sense, but out of curiosity, out of you skiers/snowboarders, how many of you wear helmets?

All I can find, opinion wise, is either 'wouldnt be seen dead without one' or 'naw, ive never had an accident in 43534543 years of boarding, dont bother' + the shiny ski equipment brochures have people NOT wearing helmets

Nope - don't wear one. And I've been doing both since I was 3.
    Although, I would wear a helmet if we do something quite a bit more extreme.

ReputationRep:
    I've never worn a helmet while skiing before & I've been skiing for about 5-ish years now.

ReputationRep:

I would say, if you are not a professional, you don't need a helmet really. I went on a ski tour with my school and they never told us about any helmet, except if you are going to go extremely fast at full speed, which I don't think you will as a beginner.

So, if you will go at full speed, YES

Otherwise: good to have it, but not necessary.

(I only ski at normal speed and therefore dont wear one.)

ReputationRep:
    If I'm going to be boarding on difficult runs or planning an excursion through the park then I'll wear a helmet.
    Otherwise I don't bother. I've hit my head plenty of times without one and I'm still fine. I've also hit my head a few times with it when if I hadn't worn it I probably would have concussed myself at the very least, so I think I've got the balance right.

ReputationRep:
    I don't while skiing, I do while snowboarding. Not saying that's a good idea, I just wear one because I'm a less proficient snowboarder.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear usually one, I'm a competent skier and I don't ski fast. However, last time I went skiing and we went to a resort with a jump park, I took one up with me just in case I ****ed over on a jump...

I would recommend you wear one though. Almost everyone on the slopes will be wearing one so it's not like you'd look like a mong. I don't actually know why I don't wear one myself all the time -.-

ReputationRep:
    I never wore a helmet.
    But next time i go skiing/snowboarding, i will definitely wear one.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wear one as a beginner for sure. Now that I've been a fair few times I'm more confident without one, whereas early on I used one because I always felt like I could lose control of my speed.

I guess you've got nothing to lose wearing one, but a lot to lose not wearing one!

ReputationRep:
    Parents don't but I ski a lot of back country and I'd be an idiot if I didn't wear one, in fact I would have died in Austria without a helmet.

If you're worried about looking good then you needn't. 10 years ago only racers really wore helmets. Now you wont look at all out of place at all. Plus they're bloody warm

ReputationRep:
    I dont, but I recommend you do.

ReputationRep:
    i took an awful fall down the face of a slope a few years ago and broke my arm, i suffered severe impact to the head and it ached for weeks afterwards, i fear if i hadn't been wearing my helmet I would've suffered brain damage or even death.

in spite of that....... i now just wear a big hat because it's so much more comfortable than a helmet! however if you are smart then you will wear a helmet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Just because you can stay upright doesn't mean there aren't other people on the slopes who might knock you over...

One year I got knocked over by someone but because the guy felt bad for knocking me over, as opposed to landing on top of me he lifted me above him (which was quite skilful!)
    Oh I know it's an awful excuse, but we always ski quite late in the season during term time, so the slopes are mostly empty anyway, and we always ski really early in the morning so there's even less chance of seeing other people. That and the fact I don't challenge myself on difficult slopes means I've never felt the need to wear a helmet in the last few years.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andmeaning)
    Oh I know it's an awful excuse, but we always ski quite late in the season during term time, so the slopes are mostly empty anyway, and we always ski really early in the morning so there's even less chance of seeing other people. That and the fact I don't challenge myself on difficult slopes means I've never felt the need to wear a helmet in the last few years.
    You don't need it till the one time you fall and hit your head though...

ReputationRep:
    I know it is a hell of a lot more unsafe, but I don't wear one - wearing a helmet makes you look like a prick no matter what, and you cant steal a last pint from the top of the mountain and drink it on the way down if you're wearing one.

I mean if you're going to crash just throw yourself sideways, landing in snow really isn't that painful.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.