Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    I was under the impression in China you cant get a job in a bank unless you know someone in the bank already.
    Not 100% true, I know an American expat who got a job in GSGH (GS in china). but it would be safe to say a LOT of people got a job in bank through contacts, even for summer internships in Hong Kong.
    But I was told by my friend that 'relationship interns' normally don't get converted, at least at his bank anyway (he got his job through his dad:rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SureWeather)
    Which University?

You must have contacts at the bank, or otherwise be doing a less well-paid job.
    Or they have outstanding extra-curricular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heritage Oil)
    Or they have outstanding extra-curricular?
    Highly unlikely that outstanding extra-curriculars are going to compensate for going to a 'bottom ten uni' - let's be perfectly honest here.

ReputationRep:
    I am being honest here.

If they have made a fortune trading and used all their time in that particular financial aspect resulting in bad grades for university . Compensated by the fact they got top marks and 1st at that particular university. One example of a real life situation of someone able to get into a lot of invesment banks.

Perfectly possible.

Seen quotes from top hedge fund managers stating you need to go to a top university. People from poor - medium universities have a great trading track record to show the firm. Therefore I rest my case about extra-curricular being a way in to Investment Banking from bad universities.
    Quite possibility the most convoluted and utterly wrong argument I have ever heard.

May I ask, what university do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibility the most convoluted and utterly wrong argument I have ever heard.
    Agree with this but couldn't be bothered to reply.

Without having a strong contact high up in the bank they are applying to, a candidate from a poor uni has less than a 1-in-100 chance of even having their application form read.

ReputationRep:

Just a heads up, that guy was talking nonsense in the derivatives thread, and thought summer interns are paid 42k for 10 weeks instead of pro-rata.....

ReputationRep:

(Original post by The IC Guy)
    Agree with this but couldn't be bothered to reply.

Without having a strong contact high up in the bank they are applying to, a candidate from a poor uni has less than a 1-in-100 chance of even having their application form read.
    (Original post by 10Scientist)
    Just a heads up, that guy was talking nonsense in the derivatives thread, and thought summer interns are paid 42k for 10 weeks instead of pro-rata.....
    1. I know someone from a bad - average university getting internships at top IB's. I said some people can slip the net and they do.

2. I posted no nonsense in the derivatives thread. I quickly wrote it to help the guy and most of it was true maybe the english came across in the wrong way.

3. I am currently doing A2 and was thinking about pay at university in the future. I do not have a clue about the kind of money involved.

4. I trade in Derivatives myself and probably make more money then Investment Banker's even though im still at A2. I turned $3k into $8k yesterday alone with options. So I know nothing?

EDIT:

5. Oh yeah and if I go to an average uni I can still become an investment banker if I can prove those kinds of returns regularily.

6. Oh yeah and 10Scientist your a prick. Don't try and put people down when they make an effort to help others.

ReputationRep:
    1. I know someone from a bad - average university getting internships at top IB's. I said some people can slip the net and they do.

2. I posted no nonsense in the derivatives thread. I quickly wrote it to help the guy and most of it was true maybe the english came across in the wrong way.

3. I am currently doing A2 and was thinking about pay at university in the future. I do not have a clue about the kind of money involved.

4. I trade in Derivatives myself and probably make more money then Investment Banker's even though im still at A2. I turned $3k into $8k yesterday alone with options. So I know nothing?

EDIT:

5. Oh yeah and if I go to an average uni I can still become an investment banker if I can prove those kinds of returns regularily.

6. Oh yeah and 10Scientist your a prick. Don't try and put people down when they make an effort to help others.
    Hey Jesus, maybe you can turn water into wine too?

ReputationRep:
    Lets see a screenshot of your pnl over a long period. Not doubting you, many people make money day trading.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jesus, maybe you can turn water into wine too?
    I'd rather have some coke - that'd be something new. dont go copying jesus, turn a stone into coke and youre a real hero.

ReputationRep:
    When we say poor unis are we referring to any out of the top 6 or just generally **** places?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.