Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best real time strategy game? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Medieval II: Total War is my favourite from the series. I perfer the setting and the melee combat is more fun to organise/watch!

ReputationRep:
    Age Of Empires II was wicked, as was Warcraft III. Command & Conquer II is sitting next to me begging to be played, but I has hunger.

ReputationRep:
    CIVILIZATION SERIES GUYS! GAWD!!! They deserve at least a mention! :P

For me, Company of Heroes is probably my favorite, and the Total war series (Though I see them as slightly different genre's)

Starcraft is far too simplistic for me, and when I say simplistic I don't mean that it isn't difficult, that there isn't strategy, that's far from the truth it's quite indepth. I just despise the fact that when you send armies towards each other they just stand still flinging **** at each other till they die. That's just a gripe I have but everyone else seems to be able to enjoy it so it's definately worth trying.

ReputationRep:
    Got to be the Dawn of War series (Picking one, I'd probably say 2)

ReputationRep:
    Starcraft II no doubt

Competitive, always surprising, great single player, millions playing, active community making inventive custom maps all the time... its great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gontak)
    CIVILIZATION SERIES GUYS! GAWD!!! They deserve at least a mention! :P
    Quite funny how an elite warrior has a chance of destroying a tank :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There was a weird online game on the sony website years ago called Infrantry which was quite fun to play with friends. But solo, Age of Empires wins hands down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    Chess.
    That's turned based you smart arse.

ReputationRep:
    Age of Empires II

ReputationRep:
    Red Alert 2 end of. I had so much fun with the map editor.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Age of Empires III, with TWC and TAD. Medieval Total War II is also awesome.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Stronghold: Crusader
    StarCraft 1/2
    Civilistaion
    C & C 3 - Kanes Wrath
    Rise Of Nations
    AOE 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    That's turned based you smart arse.
    It's also a strategy game, you monstrously obtuse ribald.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj12)
    empire earth is pretty epic.
    (Original post by aj12)
    rise of nations/legends

but red alert 2 has to be the best game.
    this

ReputationRep:
    People saying Civ series remember that's a turn based game....

ReputationRep:
    Other than starcraft, i love dawn of war, total war, and company of heroes. Out of them three, i'd say dawn of war hits my favourate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RELAXED)
    ...for the PC

...and Why?
    ...Chess

ReputationRep:
    Chess is awesome, but that doesn't make it an RTS game.

Most fun RTS I've played has gotta be Age of Empires II (and AoC). The first thing I love is the relatively complex economy. It's a real art form to try and get the most out of it, depending on what you're trying to achieve. I especially used to love trying to come up with the best build orders for certain maps and strategies, and how to do the perfect boom, etc.

The second thing that made AoC fun was random map generator - basically every game was played on a unique map (within certain parameters), so it was impossible to do things exactly the same way every game. This adds a LOT of variety to the game, since you have to use your wits to adapt to something new every time.

Lastly, AoC has the most fun team games. Playing a big 4v4 on random map and random civs would always produce some really fun games; you'd almost never see the same set-up twice, and people would always come up with some creative strategies.

There's a bunch of other stuff I could mention too but those were the main things. I wasted so many hours playing AoC when I was younger....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)
    It's also a strategy game, you monstrously obtuse ribald.
    Please refer to the thread title, best real time strategy, you are merely fulfilling half of the prerequisites.

A bit like saying the fastest human female is Usain Bolt. He's not female but he is a human.

ReputationRep:
    Age of Mythology was an absolute classic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.