Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is football still in the dark ages? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were going to talk about goal line technology

I say football improved in terms of racism and hooliganism compared to the earlier decades of the 80s and others. But you can't expect zero intolerance in people from the most popular sport in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Football is thoroughly anti-racist. Violence? In the 1980s mainly. Since the EPL, there has seldom been much violence in stadia. And homophobia? Perhaps, but I think general British opinion on that is mixed. I don't personally think it's as looked down on as racism or sexism. it depends on one's social circle mainly.
    Only because of the prevalence of racism in football. Other sports aren't as public with their anti racism campaigns because there is comparatively less racism, so they dont need to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    People were saying the same sort of things about South Africa. That everyone was going to be mugged, shot or buttraped. Guess what? No-one was. Stop generalising..
    That's not the same thing.

**** Advocaat revealed that he could not sign black players at Zenit St Petersburg for fear of adverse reaction. 'The only players who can make Zenit stronger are dark skinned,' he said, 'but for us, it would be impossible. I would be happy to sign anyone, but the fans don't like black players.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz18I6rai00
    That's the level Russia is at.
    Like another guy has said in this thread, its the World Cup. Not the Lets-only-give-it-to-developed-western countries Cup.
    Your right, but last time I checked it wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize Cup either.

ReputationRep:
    In England, we have no racism, and on that respect better than most other major European leagues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
    That's not the same thing.
    How isnt it?

That's the level Russia is at.
    To be fair to them, thats only 1 club and probably only a select number of hardcore fans. I really dont think Russia is as bad as people make it out to be.

I could use Millwall as an example for English fans, but that wouldnt be true. (Only using Millwall here as they trashed Upton Park a few years ago)

Your right, but last time I checked it wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize Cup either.
    Good point, but the World Cup would get boring if it was just in Europe or w/e over and over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Good point, but the World Cup would get boring if it was just in Europe or w/e over and over again.
    It rotates continent every four years. There are plenty of well developed countries outside of Europe that would do an excellent job hosting it - USA/Australia/Any of the developed african countries.

I just don't agree with using the world cup as some sort of funding grant. End of the day, it's about the fans.

Anyway, I don't really care actually. I wanted it in Holland so I could go over a few weeks and stay at some friends, but I'm just happy England never won it.

ReputationRep:
    It rotates continent every four years. There are plenty of well developed countries outside of Europe that would do an excellent job hosting it - USA/Australia/Any of the developed african countries.

I just don't agree with using the world cup as some sort of funding grant. End of the day, it's about the fans.

Anyway, I don't really care actually. I wanted it in Holland so I could go over a few weeks and stay at some friends, but I'm just happy England never won it.
    I meant it as in, it would be boring if it was always in the richest countries in the world. Its fun to see people who normally have such a **** life enjoying themselves ie South Africa.

I agree. It is about the fans. All of them though. Not to disregard the ones that are seen as 'backwards' or 'not into' football when thats just us not knowing much about them.

I wanted anyone but the USA to win tbh. I dont think I could stand a month of 'Welcome to the Soccer World Cup'. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Source? It seems that many sports succumb to some sort of discrimination but the scale isn't as large as you suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    i thought you were going to talk about the technology used compared to other sports such as tennis or cricket.

violence there may be, homophobia may exist in sub-groups of hardcore football hooligans but generally people don't care (and believe it or not gays can like football too) and i think you'll find there is no racism in football whatsoever.
    You're either constantly trolling or you dumb homey

Of course there's racism in modern football, it's still rife in Spain, Italy, Russia among other places (especially towards black players), not just to them - to Jewish fans and players, although that's not exactly as widespread, may be worse in Turkey and some eastern european countries

and you get all the football rivalries and essentially racism between footballing countries - Greeks and Turks (in football terms anyway, fan and team rivalry) absolutely hate each other, you'll know what I mean if you know of any big European rivalries. Yes there's also racism there

ReputationRep:
    Its huge compared to the other sports...

ReputationRep:
    Football has racism (in some countries, and not in the UK) since it's a reflection of societies.

Russia is a racist country, and foreigners get attacked all the while. What does one expect if racism exists in their football? We are not a racist country as such, so this reflects in our football. British football had more racism in the 70s and 80s since as a society then, racism was still accepted somewhat. Racism is perhaps more apparent in football since it appeals more to the common man, and it reflects what the common man thinks. The OP mentions tennis, but tennis is IMO a minority sport in spectator numbers. Outside of the Grandslams, few people pay attention to most tennis tournaments. It also still has a middle class image, so such people stereotypically are more tolerant/open of others.

Despite what most people say anyhow, most societies in the world still are prejudiced, in whatever way. It's just a fact of life.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth noting how many football clubs have an ingrained political alliance, although perhaps a lot less so nowadays than in the past.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947967

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    As long as the gays dont be gay in Qatar they should be fine.
    What the ****? Why should gay people try and pretend they're not gay? It's who they are and they should be allowed to get on with it.

The statement to send out should be 'Why is homosexuality illegal in Qatar?', and 'let's put a stop to it', not 'Gays, if/when you go to Qatar, don't be gay'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Suffers from racism, violence and homophobia to a much higher extent than say tennis and other sports.
    excuse me it was banned during the medieval period. so please specify exactly what time period it is supposedly similar too.

ReputationRep:
    He's right though.

It's going to be fun for all the black players in Russia.

And it's going to be fun for all the gays in qatar.

Absolute joke to give it to either of them.
    Sorry for my ignorance. I know that the first pic is a banner about Peter Odemwingie but what is the story behind the second one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexx53)
    What the ****? Why should gay people try and pretend they're not gay? It's who they are and they should be allowed to get on with it.

The statement to send out should be 'Why is homosexuality illegal in Qatar?', and 'let's put a stop to it', not 'Gays, if/when you go to Qatar, don't be gay'.
    Im afraid this is of a case of 'if you dont like it you shouldnt go'

Who are we to go into another society and tell them whats right and wrong. Regardless of what our society thinks, we cant go to another group of people and give them our morals. Its up to them to change.
    I think its slightly arrogant to think you can go over to another country and tell the people how to act. Yes, we both think they shouldnt be like that, but thats irrelevant. Why, because each society has its own ideologies, whats right to us may not be right to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Im afraid this is of a case of 'if you dont like it you shouldnt go'

Who are we to go into another society and tell them whats right and wrong. Regardless of what our society thinks, we cant go to another group of people and give them our morals. Its up to them to change.
    I think its slightly arrogant to think you can go over to another country and tell the people how to act. Yes, we both think they shouldnt be like that, but thats irrelevant. Why, because each society has its own ideologies, whats right to us may not be right to them.
    Cultural relativism is such an inane concept. We have every right to tell them it's wrong to execute people for their sexuality. In which civilised society could this ever be deemed morally sound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Cultural relativism is such an inane concept. We have every right to tell them it's wrong to execute people for their sexuality. In which civilised society could this ever be deemed morally sound?
    Do we? If you think about it carefully, who knows whats right and wrong? Why should it be up to us to 'go civilise the barbarians' or whatever?
    Would you go to a tribe in africa and tell them not to do their form of initiation (such as genital mutilation)? After all it is right for them, its not right for us though is it? So should we impose our western rules on every society on earth? Where do we draw the line eh?

ReputationRep:
    still no goal line technology

ReputationRep:
    Regarding homophobia - I can't think of many sports where sportsmen have openly come out. Like someone else said, it's an issue that remains throughout society, I'm afraid.

Regarding racism - In this country I'd say the Premier League was, and to a certain extent still is, an excellent model against racism. It has introduced English fans to foreign players, cultures and developed relationships between them.

Violence - Not universal, it has to be said. It remains a problem, though. I think it results mostly because of two factors:

-That the sport attracts large crowds, often between two rival areas or teams.
    -It is a sport with a predominantly working class following (which is why, I presume, you made this thread, Thatcher).

No other sport really combines those two factors. Rugby attracts crowds but not as large, and the fanship is higher social class in general. The same applies to cricket. Tennis, as an individual sport, doesn't have the same local team pride/prestige/fanship as football.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.