Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Facebook + embarrassing parents= disaster! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Im so glad i have a cool mom
    Im so glad I have the most uncool mom ever. She cant even work properly with a computer, let alone facebook! xD

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered how people end up with their parents on their facebooks, I often think they must have very liberal parents. I for one would never add my parents onto facebook but then I have seen two people on my fb who's mums are always liking and commenting on their statuses. I have really strict boundaries with my parents so I always find it odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Shouldn't have added her in the first place, just delete her from your friends list.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I know that feeling.. but before I added her she was like "Why won't you add me? What are you hiding?" so I thought it would be easier just to accept her.. but now I can't post a status without having to explain it in huge depth to her, can't post song lyrics without her thinking I'm suicidal.. it's a nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    I know, my own fault for having my mum as a 'friend' on Facebook but I had to accept or she would have nagged me endlessly!

She's so embarrassing though, she clicks like on every single status and comment on my wall and leaves comments which are cringe worthy and sometimes don't even relate to the status or make sense!

I've gone as far as changing my privacy settings a couple of times so she couldn't see my wall or couldn't click like or comment but then she just had a massive teenage-hissy-fit about it and I had to change the settings and asked her politely to not click like on everything I do but it didn't work and she still clicks like on everything! I don't actually update my status that often but it's usually with something witty and having my mum like it, makes it less witty imo.. She, on the other hand practically lives on Facebook and it's stupid games (farm-thing for example) which I refuse to go on and her own wall is filled with things she has achieved on these games.. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have this problem with a parent/ other relative, or perhaps a solution lol

I tried to find a 'my mum likes all my statuses group' to join so she would get the hint but no such luck!
    Thumbs up for making me laught

ReputationRep:
    I had this before, not as extreme though - I just removed her from my page and added her on 2nd FB that I rarely go on.

ReputationRep:
    How about you just delete her and any other family members off your friends list.

ReputationRep:
    I would have two accounts. But then I don't let my Mum have fb so its all good.

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately for me my mum's not too uncool, just weird! Ha ha! She does do my head in though when she expects me to explain everything to her...and when she tells me off for swearing on it! When she says that though I just say "well you added me...it's not meant to be aimed at you so you can either put up with it or delete me!"

Either have a separate account for her, or put up with it! I can see why if she lives abroad...or you could introduce her to Skype next time you see her

The only major issue I have is the embarrassing stuff I get up to at uni gets posted all over Facebook! Dammit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Shouldn't have added her in the first place, just delete her from your friends list.
    This. You should just find some excuse to de-friend her. Or be clever about it - deactivate your profile for a week (say you need to study or something), then de-friend her and reactivate.

(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Who squeezed who out of a vagina? Have some respect.
    Hmm, though this guy also makes a good point.

ReputationRep:
    Its your own fault for adding your mum on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    Also to clarify, she moved abroad so it's our main point of contact
    You're a bad daughter

ReputationRep:
    I rarely have any status messages, unless I have something of 'importance' to say. But yes. You really need to teach her how Facebook works.

ReputationRep:
    Ok do one of the following:
    1. You could join some groups like how to kill your mum in 20 ways ect
    2: Reciprocate... like everything she says and comment on all her pictures ect.
    3: Post statuses like 'I wonder whether my Mum will like this'.

Facebook a serious business

4: Tell her to **** off...

ReputationRep:
    Adding your parents on facebook? Ohhmygosh I would totally vom

Family's cool but not all family y'know. There are limits, your parents are the limit imo, even if you're close it's just weeeeird

Delete them, delete them now

*Best solution

Some of my friends have done this as well, just make an alt Facebook account with some friends and all your family there if you want

ReputationRep:
    Can I add your mum on facebook?

ReputationRep:
    My Mum made me accept her as a friend on Facebook too... Thank God she doesn't know enough about it to realise that it's not just that I have "high privacy settings on my account because of all the perverts etc out there" and that she is actually on a limited profile and so can only see 2 of my photo albums and none of wall or status updates!!

ReputationRep:
    My nan does this to me. I just delete whatever she puts on my wall or statuses.

She needs to grow up.

ReputationRep:
      Argh my mum is exactly the same. She likes everything, comments on loads and then starts random conversations about whether I'm coming home for the weekend etc on my statuses. So annoying.

I'm afraid I have no solution, I also blocked her from viewing my wall but then she just moaned about it so I had to put it back.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.