Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it immoral to want to hit somebody? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Of course there is. Plenty of people conform to to what they think is "the right thing" just because their peers do it.
    Most people don't conform to social norms. only low intelligence/low class people do.

ReputationRep:
    To do it for someone who has not deserved it yes that is immoral

if thier asking for it then no

ReputationRep:
    doesn't everybody deserve it? I think some moreso than others do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    why is it wrong to cause harm to people? i think some people deserve it.
    Says who?

That same argument could be employed by a group of skin heads beating the **** out of a black person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    Says who?

That same argument could be employed by a group of skin heads beating the **** out of a black person.
    morality is subjective, so anything goes. There is no reason why we should like/respect others.

ReputationRep:
    morality is subjective, so anything goes. There is no reason why we should like/respect others.
    It's just that you said "some people deserve it", which makes it sound like you are trying to prescribe a universal truth.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is universal. Everybody knows that. I disagree that, as all of you say, it's immoral to hit somebody. morality exists, yet anything goes, and there are no moral rules.

ReputationRep:
    It can't be immoral if it's all in your mind

ReputationRep:
    No but its immoral to make threads as bad as this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    yes it is immoral. I was hit in the back of the neck for no reason when I was 16 by boys from my class while I was only playing in my front garden with my toys and I am now 21 and my neck always clicks it has ruined my life.
    :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xayshx)
    :indiff:
    yeah my toy trucks digging in the dirt am i not allowed to play with my toys on my front garden?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    It can't be immoral if it's all in your mind
    I'm just asking a question. I don't think it's wrong to hit somebody, and nobody has given a valid reason why it is.

ReputationRep:
    The basic crux of all this is: "Are humans inherently violent?".

And no, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    In my personal opinion:
    Wanting to hit someone is ok. We are human, it's fairly normal.
    It is not okay to hit someone without reason. If there is reason enough, and if it is justifiable, then it is acceptable.

Now the question arises as to what is acceptable and what isn't. That is for each person to decide for themselves, because everyone will have differing views.

ReputationRep:
    it's just natural, but whether you hit them or not is the main point

ReputationRep:
    If so, why? there are some people i wish to do so, but I need reasons why it shouldn't be so.
    deferring your morality to TSR, classic :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm just asking a question. I don't think it's wrong to hit somebody, and nobody has given a valid reason why it is.
    I answered the title question : wanting to hit someone is ok, because it's a thought and thought only belong to us. We can be as evil as we want inside, it won't matter because morality is only an issue when others are affected by actions.
    Whether or not someone actually deserves to be hit is an unsolvable matter because it depends on who the victim and the perpetrator are, as well as a large set of other factors.

ReputationRep:
    immoral according to who?

Ive recently come to some epiphanies that all beliefs are just beliefs/concepts and should neither be accepted for truth or rejected as false.

There is an insane side to every human being, an "evil" side. Everyone has it eg arragance, power hungryness, blaming others for your problems, trying to impress someone, wanting to cause pain to another person. Its better to be aware of your behaviours. But notice there can be no good without bad and a lot of these rules can and should be broken when "neccessary".

ReputationRep:
    Well....It depends really :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinbad23)
    immoral according to who?

Ive recently come to some epiphanies that all beliefs are just beliefs/concepts and should neither be accepted for truth or rejected as false.

There is an insane side to every human being, an "evil" side. Everyone has it eg arragance, power hungryness, blaming others for your problems, trying to impress someone, wanting to cause pain to another person. Its better to be aware of your behaviours. But notice there can be no good without bad and a lot of these rules can and should be broken when "neccessary".
    I agree. I don't think any human's opinion/belief is total. It all stems from our unique/subjective view of the universe.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.