Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There is something wrong with me, can't believe I did this........? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    How is suggesting that someone gets checked for schizophrenia is offensive? Things are only taboo if you make them so- it was a serious suggestion.

FTR I misread the OP, I thought he said he heard voices, when he actually said he didn't. So I'm not ignorant, thank you.

And, naturally, I suppose the 4 letter word you attempted to call me wasn't offensive in the slightest!
    Because you said it in a way that made having schizophrenia seem like someone is a bad person or something!
    It's nothing to do with being taboo, it's to d with being insensitive.
    And the 4 letter word was called for, your type of offensiveness wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
    Because you said it in a way that made having schizophrenia seem like someone is a bad person or something!
    It's nothing to do with being taboo, it's to d with being insensitive.
    And the 4 letter word was called for, your type of offensiveness wasn't.
    How is "go and see a doctor and get assessed for schizophrenia" saying that it makes him a bad person AT ALL? Did I say he was a bad person? No. Did I say having schizophrenia would make him a bad person? No.

Thus, I fail to see your point.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I was supposed to have an interview this morning up in London. ANyway, I left before it even started because of these suicidal feelings I get.

It was on like the 5th floor and when I was walking into the office, there was a balcony with a very low fence. ANyway, I walked in and sat down to wait for interviewer. Then I suddenly ran out cos I couldnt get these feelings/urges out of my head to jump, I didnt even stay for the interview. I drove an hour to get there. Im honestly not trolling, I think there is somethign very wrong with me. I dont want to feel this way, its horrible. It happens everytime Im up high somewhere and there is a balcony or smoething, I have to get out. I dont have voices, just really strong urges to jump.

I supopse I have probably been suffering from depression for a while and find it very difficult to get up inthe mornings, finding it difficult to get a job, just too many regrets from getting a 2.2. I cant imagine being normal again
    Definitely go and see your GP and tell them what happened. Since these feelings are something you've had before, try and pinpoint when it started happening or at least when your earliest memory of getting these feelings was, and how often you tend to have them. Hopefully they will be able to refer you on to the right people.

It might be worth finding about a bit about cognitive behavioural therapy, in case there are some CBT techniques you would be able to use in future in order to combat these feelings and be able to stay in a room and calm yourself down :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    cheers, you felt like that ever?
    i did for a long time. I tried to egnore because i just thought i was going mad but then i got help because i couldn't stand it any longer. I don't feel like that anymore so there is hope Look after yourself, try and see your GP, they won't think your weird or crazy - they will be able to help you
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I once went to my GP because I felt so ill, he spent 20 minutes convincing me it was depression; he described it as having a "dark cloud continuously above you" & this description felt very real.

After dawning on me I was actually healthy just depressed I felt like such a pussy... Even now I'll never admit to being ill as I cant't distinguish it & I'm too competitive to start worrying...

By the way my GP then proceeded to interview me on video as part of his thesis... for real... 'smile you're on camera'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I hardly think they would be happy
    Clearly I just had a crap tutor.
    Well if you think about it... One definition of depression is "sad feelings of gloom and inadequacy." I can't see why someone would commit suicide if they didn't have feelings like that, and the opposite of such feelings is therefore happiness right?

I suspect what your tutor may have said is that not all depressed people have suicidal feelings, as depression and feeling suicidal are not the same. However the majority of people that commit suicide would be depressed.

I also could be wrong, but that's my opinion, feel free to neg rep me again for disagreeing with you if it makes you feel better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynds81)
    Well if you think about it... One definition of depression is "sad feelings of gloom and inadequacy." I can't see why someone would commit suicide if they didn't have feelings like that, and the opposite of such feelings is therefore happiness right?

I suspect what your tutor may have said is that not all depressed people have suicidal feelings, as depression and feeling suicidal are not the same. However the majority of people that commit suicide would be depressed.

I also could be wrong, but that's my opinion, feel free to neg rep me again for disagreeing with you if it makes you feel better...
    I'm pretty sure I didn't neg you.
    Also, I'm not really bothered by this. My tutor was clearly high when she was telling me this.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not a troll, go and see a doctor and get assessed for schizophrenia.
    What makes you think its Schizophrenia!? You cannot just have one symptom, as it contains alot of symptoms to be diagnosed as a Schizophrenic.

However, go and see someone about it they will be able to help

Good luck

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Eh? If you were depresed you would obviously know...unless you're slow.
    Hooj .... Just shush please. You have sooo many neg rep gems and 8 warning points. You aren't exactly user of the year or someone to listen to you know. Go play in your corner with your toys quietly.

So I was supposed to have an interview this morning up in London. ANyway, I left before it even started because of these suicidal feelings I get.

It was on like the 5th floor and when I was walking into the office, there was a balcony with a very low fence. ANyway, I walked in and sat down to wait for interviewer. Then I suddenly ran out cos I couldnt get these feelings/urges out of my head to jump, I didnt even stay for the interview. I drove an hour to get there. Im honestly not trolling, I think there is somethign very wrong with me. I dont want to feel this way, its horrible. It happens everytime Im up high somewhere and there is a balcony or smoething, I have to get out. I dont have voices, just really strong urges to jump.

I supopse I have probably been suffering from depression for a while and find it very difficult to get up inthe mornings, finding it difficult to get a job, just too many regrets from getting a 2.2. I cant imagine being normal again
    WOW!!! You SERIOUSLY do not deserve to feel like this and I hope everything gets sorted out for you. See your GP. Maybe Pop in tomorrow first thing in the morning. If you feel really down or suicidal then call your Local Social Services Out of Hours team. They WILL NOT just ram you in hospital they will speak to you about your problems and maybe even recommend you some ways to control it etc...... \If you reallly feel bad then I suggest you go to your local hospital. Mental or General/ district (any hospital)

They can assess you and then either keep you in or send you home but you have to be in a right unfortunate state for that to happen. I wish you all the best

Jonathan

ReputationRep:

try bungee jumping? Sorry thats the first thing which poped into my mind when you said that you have an urge to jump.
    I dont think i can help very much as i feel very much suicidal myself but still find myself making jokes and then i think look if i can make jokes, find them funny it means that i enjoy something about life. Also the other day i was thinking random things and realised that it is those suicidal people that actually loved life because before i came to this age i always use to think wow life, life is brialliant i want to suck the juice out of life an d enjoy every second of it. then i realised that my daily routines were a waste of time, all my goals all my plans were a waste. What was the point of my working, what was the point of working to eat to live then live to work. I didnt like it then i though that i am not a person that can sit and work i am a traveller. I would like to make a difference, mainly with peoples life and all then i realised that i liked politics, economics things made me excited and i knew that i actually adored life and so i was dissapointed i was disappointed at how little it could offer me. So i decided to look outside house i lived. Look at the big picture. Life isnt it amazing how we as humans have come about. That makes everyone of us very precious and you too are very special therefore give life you hold in your parms what it deserves- happiness, pleasure, because all others are insignificant.

Have confidence in yourself there is nothing wrong with you, because you are human, we are all and thats why i have spelling errors in my big paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    How is "go and see a doctor and get assessed for schizophrenia" saying that it makes him a bad person AT ALL? Did I say he was a bad person? No. Did I say having schizophrenia would make him a bad person? No.

Thus, you are clearly an idiot :rolleyes:
    think about it. and i dont care that i'm being rude anymore.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thus, you are clearly an idiot :rolleyes:
    think about it. and i dont care that i'm being rude anymore.
    Tbh, given that she's stated that she misread/interpreted the part about voices, I'm also failing to see what you're finding so offensive... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Tbh, given that she's stated that she misread/interpreted the part about voices, I'm also failing to see what you're finding so offensive... :yes:
    The way she said it. x

ReputationRep:
    There is something very wrong with you. I am struggling to think of a Darwinian explanation for your existance if you get strong urges to jump off buildings. I know a lot of people have suicidal thoughts but I thought that the actually act of killing yourself was something that everybody would dread.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The way she said it. x
    Still not seeing it. When I first read it, I wondered whether I should point out that hearing voices (even if the OP had) doesn't necessarily make you schizophrenic, but I couldn't be bothered and am still failing to spot anything offensive in tone or language used really

How is suggesting that someone gets checked for schizophrenia is offensive? Things are only taboo if you make them so- it was a serious suggestion.

FTR I misread the OP, I thought he said he heard voices, when he actually said he didn't. So I'm not ignorant, thank you.
      Even if he heard voices it wouldn't make him schizophrenic.
      Plenty of severely depressed people hear voices.

I think people are saying its offensive just in the same way that someone saying on here they had unprotected sex and now are feeling unwell being told - "you have AIDS".
      Schizophrenia - rightly or wrongly has a lot of stigma attached to it. Its not a term/diagnosis to be thrown around lightly.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
      Still not seeing it. When I first read it, I wondered whether I should point out that hearing voices (even if the OP had) doesn't necessarily make you schizophrenic, but I couldn't be bothered and am still failing to spot anything offensive in tone or language used really
      (Original post by Jamie)

I think people are saying its offensive just in the same way that someone saying on here they had unprotected sex and now are feeling unwell being told - "you have AIDS".
      Schizophrenia - rightly or wrongly has a lot of stigma attached to it. Its not a term/diagnosis to be thrown around lightly.
      my point

ReputationRep:

Also, this;
      (Original post by Jamie)

ReputationRep:
      You feel crap because you got a 2.2 and can't get a job because of it yet by some lucky chance someone out there decided they'd interview you because they like you so you decided to not take the interview?

:lolwut: you need help and not the kind TSR can give you.

ReputationRep:
      I have this too tbh, but not really that strong and I guess I'm sane enough to not jump. When i went to the top of the eiffel tower something told me to hang phone over the edge and it was telling me to drop it but obvs i didnt but I've always wondered why i got these urges and its only when i'm high up too strange i guess. I've always said to myself if i actually start to think one do to really do it then i'll see a doctor

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.