Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

World Darts Championship 2011 Watch

(Original post by Rock Fan)
      What a brilliant match between Terry Jenkins and Joe Cullen (who will surely be a star in the future) he's already beaten Phil Taylor on the PDC tour this year.
      Two dutchmen have gone, Klassen and Van Guerwen, neither of them played well, however no messing about from Van Der Voort. Tomorrow it's the last dutch man Raymond Barneveld.

On a side note it was so funny when they had Andrerw Flintoff in the commentary box with Sid Waddell
      Thats the funny thing about sets play - if the Jenkins-Cullen match was played in matchplay rules it would have been 13-6. Cullen was brilliant in sets three and four to dig deep having lost 6 legs to go 2 down. It looked like it took too much out of him, that 4th set.

Both MvG and Klaasen were shocking, Van der voort is the only dutchman through so far - Barney will no doubt join him, but a poor year for the Dutch, who've only 2 qualifiers for Lakeside both in the Mens draw.

I was impressed with Preston Ridd, and Steve Brown - The way Brown played, he has every chance of taking Jenkins out in the second round.

Just 10 more prelims and first round matches to go. Flown by - the draw for the second round shaping up.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
      Thats the funny thing about sets play - if the Jenkins-Cullen match was played in matchplay rules it would have been 13-6. Cullen was brilliant in sets three and four to dig deep having lost 6 legs to go 2 down. It looked like it took too much out of him, that 4th set.

Both MvG and Klaasen were shocking, Van der voort is the only dutchman through so far - Barney will no doubt join him, but a poor year for the Dutch, who've only 2 qualifiers for Lakeside both in the Mens draw.

I was impressed with Preston Ridd, and Steve Brown - The way Brown played, he has every chance of taking Jenkins out in the second round.

Just 10 more prelims and first round matches to go. Flown by - the draw for the second round shaping up.
      Steve Brown beat Jenkins in the World Matchplay earlier in the year, but that was around the time just after the Premier League where Rod Harrington was criticising Jenkins and Jenkins was clearly affected by it. He played well in the European Championship and since then, Jenkins has been pretty impressive, so don't think Brown will have it his way a second time.

Michael van Gerwen has been shocking for ages now, it seems like he'll never rediscover the form that he had 4 years ago.

Who's your favourite for the tournament?

(Original post by Phil_Waite)
        Steve Brown beat Jenkins in the World Matchplay earlier in the year, but that was around the time just after the Premier League where Rod Harrington was criticising Jenkins and Jenkins was clearly affected by it. He played well in the European Championship and since then, Jenkins has been pretty impressive, so don't think Brown will have it his way a second time.

Michael van Gerwen has been shocking for ages now, it seems like he'll never rediscover the form that he had 4 years ago.

Who's your favourite for the tournament?
        Interesting, the Matchplay result was comprehensive but compared to what they'll be playing in the second round, best of 7 sets, its a longer distance (basically equivalent of best of 25 or so at the matchplay) - and Terry has the experience of that. I certainly expect it to be close though.

Your right on MvG. He's never gotten over the loss to Taylor when he so nearly put him out first round

ReputationRep:
        Interesting, the Matchplay result was comprehensive but compared to what they'll be playing in the second round, best of 7 sets, its a longer distance (basically equivalent of best of 25 or so at the matchplay) - and Terry has the experience of that. I certainly expect it to be close though.

Your right on MvG. He's never gotten over the loss to Taylor when he so nearly put him out first round
        Jenkins is a class player, he showed that tonight in that final set decider against Cullen, and I think the longer distance will suit him. He seems to be able to produce 140s when under pressure better than most players can, and his all round game is solid. I'm thinking a 4-2 or 4-1 win to Jenkins in that. I could be completely wrong though, and it would be nice to see Brown do well.

Another interesting second round match is Baxter against Webster. Both of them looked in really good form in their first round matches, especially Webster, and with Baxter's experience of the big matches this season I think that one could be very close.
        • TSR Support Team

Can't be good for Van Gwuern he's had a few first round exits, he can't make a living like this, same for Klassen he hasn't been good either, apart from the one good run he's had, he's done nothing since he came over from the BDO. The favourite has still got to be Taylor, although I reckon James Wade, Gary Anderson will run him close. And if Simon Whitlock can find his form then don't bet against the Aussie, and you can never rule out Barney.

ReputationRep:
        If I was MVG my biggest worry would be the fact I went from a baby faced 17 year old to a 35 year old looking fat baldy in the space of two years. Shame he's gone backwards

ReputationRep:
        I'm going to the quarter finals on New Years Day- I hope Phil Taylor is playing when I go.
        • TSR Support Team

(Original post by barnetlad)
        I'm going to the quarter finals on New Years Day- I hope Phil Taylor is playing when I go.
        Lucky, i've always wanted to go, have to make it my mission next year. Worst match ever so far on now Kevin McDine and Barrie Bates.

ReputationRep:
        I don't really know much about darts (I only tend to watch the world championships and some of the Premier League tournament) but it's pretty good to watch. Barney is looking very poor at the moment. I'm never confident when I watch him.

I like Whitlock (surprisingly as he's Australian) but I'm expecting a closer final this year. Should be quite open, and make for a excellent viewing.
        • TSR Support Team

Barney hasn't looked at his best so far but he's not dead and buried in this game. Least that McDine and Bates game is over, that was so poor.

ReputationRep:
        Apart from that first set with those missed doubles, it's been a pretty good performance by Barney.

ReputationRep:
        It's a lot less enjoyable without Freddie.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by little_wizard123)
        It's a lot less enjoyable without Freddie.
        I think Sid is a source of amusement himself.
        • TSR Support Team

It were comfortable for Barney, that qualifier Petersen gave James Caven a good run for his money, but a great 161 finish by Caven at the end, just one more lot of first round games tomorrow featuring the likes of Mervyn King and Dennis Priestley.

ReputationRep:
        It will be interesting to see how Mervyn King plays tomorrow. He's had a pretty poor season since the premier league, when he was playing really well, and if he can find that form again, he could be a threat in the tournament.

Barney given a test, now that will be a good thing for him as if he gets a test in the tournament he normally goes on to the Final or so, in 2007 he had the epic match against Lloyd where he recovered from 3-0 down to win in a sudden death leg in the 7th set. He went onto win the title. In 2009 he had a sudden death leg against Baxter and reached the final. In 2008 and 2010 he quite easily waltzed through the draw, and both times when he got to the longer games hadnt had enough tense darts match practise and it sa

With King he's had some family problems, his father who was often seen as his number one fan has recently died - which probably explains the loss of form. You cant get away with playing bad though at this tournament, and with that in mind, he should get to the third round easily enough, but no further.

Regarding a winner, I'd say the most open in three years. I'd definitely say Taylor is more beatable than in recent times, the World sporting record for Individual world championships is jointly held between Taylor and Joe Davis, 15 time world snooker champion, so Taylor is after becoming the most successful world champ of all time - which adds on the pressure.
          • TSR Support Team

Was awful for Mervyn King when he lost his Father in the early part of this year and even he admitted it affected him, which is not surprising really. But yeah no one can afford to have a bad game because otherwise they won't survive in this tournament.

(Original post by Rock Fan)
            Was awful for Mervyn King when he lost his Father in the early part of this year and even he admitted it affected him, which is not surprising really. But yeah no one can afford to have a bad game because otherwise they won't survive in this tournament.
            Also King is down to 11th on the OOM and its only top 4 to get automatic PL qualification

ReputationRep:
            Also King is down to 11th on the OOM and its only top 4 to get automatic PL qualification
            It's interesting how they're going to have 4 wildcards next year instead of 2 in previous years. Who do you think will get the wildcards? One of them has to be Gary Anderson, and it would be nice to see Wayne Jones getting a go in the Premier League as well.

ReputationRep:
            Taylor, Wade, Barney, Whitlock. Then looking at Anderson, Nicholson, Webster, Lewis perhaps, unless the rumours about inviting BDO players over is true in which case we may get Hankey, Waites instead

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2011
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.