Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite guitarists and why Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Edge, he has style despite the fact he's nearly 50 and revolutionized the idea of less is more.

I also love his 1970's Xplorer!

ReputationRep:
    Slash and Kirk Hammett.

Maybe it's just the hair?

ReputationRep:
    Mark Knopfler is a massively underrated guitarist. Who can forget the riff to Money for Nothing?

I'll agree with OP and say Tony Iommi is incredible.

I'd throw Slash in there for good measure, not sure why, there is a just something about his playing which impresses me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Currently Mark Knopfler.

Also I really like Satriani, and really respect schuldiner of Death.
    Of course clapton gets a mention, as does steve hacket.

ReputationRep:
    Alex Lifeson. Because have you heard rush?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fretter778)
    David Gilmour. Plays the guitar like few people can. I keep saying it but Echoes is just musical perfection.

On the acoustic side of things, Tommy Emmanuel and Andy McKee are right up there. Seeing them both live together was something special.
    Gilmour is a sexy, sexy guitarist

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow:

But my favourite acoustic guitarist right now is probably this guy:

3.25 onwards is :coma:.

ReputationRep:
    David Gilmour, The Edge, Hendrix, Alex Lifeson, Bill Nelson.
    A lot of people would put Jimmy Page on here, but I always thought he was the weakest of Zeppelin. Guy was a very sloppy player live, especially towards the end when he had drug problems. As a songwriter, he was great though.

ReputationRep:
    Grant Mickelson.

ReputationRep:
    Hendrix, Because no matter how much acid he was on he could still play ridiculously amazing guitar.

ReputationRep:
    slash, john frusciante (hope i spelt this right!),jack white, jamie hince, and thurston moore...
    actually i think i ought to add liz phair to this list - when i was young my eldest brother was (actually,still is ;P) a big fan of her's... posters everywhere! ok,so i don't think she's the most gifted player i've heard,by a long way...but i consider being exposed to images of her with a guitar the biggest reason in making me want to learn to play guitar since in my early teens.

ReputationRep:
    Many mentioned on this thread.
    My current 3 favs are:
    Jimi Hendrix
    Slash
    Synyster Gates

ReputationRep:
    My favourite would have to be Julian Bream due to his tone control. Andres Segovia also has a very distinctive tone and style which i like.

ReputationRep:
    Hendrix
    Buckethead
    Eric Clapton
    BB King
    Dave Gilmour
    John Frusciante

ReputationRep:
    The blokes from Iron Maiden. The way they play off each other is simply brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielleT192)

Andy McKee - never heard an acoustic sound so... full. Possibly one of the best known acoustic players IMO.
    I had the good fortune to see him live earlier this Year, very good indeed.

ReputationRep:
    the ghost of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kirk Hammett, and god bless Mike McCready

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK471993)
    Johnny Marr - The Smiths. His jangle is orgasmic. He makes the guitar sing. I beg you to listen to Barbarism Begins at Home. That juxtposition between Morrissey's wailing voice and Marr's jangly happiness is sublime.
    You stole my choice and the song I was going to use as the reason! Good work!

Hendrix also gets an obvious shout for the free and relaxed style he has, the instrumentals on Electric Ladyland album are amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1309)
    You stole my choice and the song I was going to use as the reason! Good work!

Hendrix also gets an obvious shout for the free and relaxed style he has, the instrumentals on Electric Ladyland album are amazing
    Aaaah Hendrix is an outstanding guitarist of course. I have listened to about 20 different versions of All Along the Watchtower; his cover is brilliant. Hendrix was one of the first to make the guitar sing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.