Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asylum seeker who left girl to die after hit-and-run allowed to stay in UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fist of the south star)
    I don't understand how being an asylum seeker and a murderer are two related things.

No doubt what this person did is sickening, but living in this country and being punished for his crime arn't mutually exclusive things.
    Asylum seekers are those who face persecution in their own countries for their political and religious beliefs. And are allowed to live here by an act of grace of this country. In general, a string a crimes and a dead twelve year old child under your car would be taken as a sign that you're not exactly grateful to your host country, and probably ought to be shown the door.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like this rarely surprises me. Got to say if it was my daughter I'd quite happily take matters in to my own hands, given that supposed justice has failed me.

ReputationRep:
    I find the worst part is that he took decades from someone's daughter, but only lost 4 months of his own life...

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that this is meant to be justice. How does he have a "right to life" in this country when he took a little girl's life from her with no remorse. Absolutely disgusting, makes you lose faith in the criminal justice system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    I'll ask you straight; should this man be allowed to stay in this country?

ReputationRep:
    He's here for asylum reasons. By the nature of his situation, they cannot be sent back to his country of origin. To suggest otherwise is frankly barmy.

(Original post by Time Tourist)
    What about the right of our society to protect itself in the face of its enemies and outsiders who would harm it?
    "Society" doesn't have rights, individuals do.

(Original post by Aj12)
    I find it difficult how a lawyer can argue human rights when the man so willingly took another's life, with no respect to the victims human rights.
    Human rights are about the individual's relationship with the state and where its reach extends. Dead this girl may be, but her human rights were not violated: the state perhaps can be said to have a duty to protect against crime, and it did that: that doesn't imply bad things will never happen.

(Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      Thoughts?
      If he has a valid claim to asylum then he should be allowed to stay: we shouldn't be blind to the persecution of individuals. While it is easy to sympathise with the father's calls for deportation, he needs to try realizing that retribution is not the solution. A serious mistake was made, but that mistake was in the past. It can't be undone. Looking forward, and working out how to make the best of the scenario we are now in: the Iraqi man needs assistance so that he can become a productive member of society in future.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by L i b)

Fair point, but I'm sure you can appreciate what I was saying.

For example, there have been several recent cases where the rights of would-be mass murderers who have no place in our society appear to have trumped the rights of people who are members of our society.

ReputationRep:
      Judges only ever seem to be concerned with the "human rights" of enemies of this society.

Edit: So today "human rights" have meant that a failed asylum seeker who let a little girl die under the wheels of his car has won the right to live in this country.

And the European court of human rights has forced Ireland to pave the way for mass abortion.

Moral rectitude at its finest.
      Oh my days, what hyperbole.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by L i b)
      He's here for asylum reasons. By the nature of his situation, they cannot be sent back to his country of origin. To suggest otherwise is frankly barmy.

Human rights are about the individual's relationship with the state and where its reach extends. Dead this girl may be, but her human rights were not violated: the state perhaps can be said to have a duty to protect against crime, and it did that: that doesn't imply bad things will never happen.
      Indeed.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kolya)
      A serious mistake was made, but that mistake was in the past. It can't be undone.

A serious mistake is when a doctor misdiagnoses a patient who has a serious illness, or someone loses the company a lot of money. This was a crime, with a dead child.

(Original post by Kerny)
        so four months for driving carelessly and killing someone, fleeing the scene, AND whilst disqualified (and thus uninsured)

wat?
        Obviously the facts were far more complex than can be described in a Press Association article.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Kolya)
        If he has a valid claim to asylum then he should be allowed to stay: we shouldn't be blind to the persecution of individuals. While it is easy to sympathise with the father's calls for deportation, he needs to try realizing that retribution is not the solution. A serious mistake was made, but that mistake was in the past. It can't be undone. Looking forward, and working out how to make the best of the scenario we are now in: the Iraqi man needs assistance so that he can become a productive member of society in future.
        You are looking through rose tinted glasses I am afraid. The man has a string of convictions and committed offences after the event if I can recall.

If it was a one off accident, then fair enough; however, this man has proven to be a detriment on society. If there are any parameters in offering asylum, surely not committing multiple criminal offences in the host country should be one of them?
        • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
        1. 4 months?!?! ******* outrageous
        2. he shouldn't be allowed to stay here.

ReputationRep:
        A serious mistake is when a doctor misdiagnoses a patient who has a serious illness, or someone loses the company a lot of money. This was a crime, with a dead child.
        Not really. It lacks the 2 vital aspects which makes something a crime, which are intent and malice. This a tragedy and the guy is no doubt a coward but he is by no means a murderer. Although, I do admit that 4 months seems a very lenient sentence

ReputationRep:
        As far as I'm concerned this father has no right to request he be deported. His status as an asylum seeker is irrelevant.

Her father has every right to complain about how long he was in prison. Which from the facts we are given (In all likelihood the press haven't given us the details that would make there story less emphatic) was far too low.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Kolya)
        But he has a string of criminal convictions as well.

ReputationRep:
        this is terrible...he should be locked away for a long long time.
        the law system in this country is ****.

(Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
          If it was a one off accident, then fair enough; however, this man has proven to be a detriment on society.
          He is? Or was? Or will be? I don't see why it can't be the case that he will be able to contribute to society, given the right help. And that is what matters: the future.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Aj12)
          I find it difficult how a lawyer can argue human rights when the man so willingly took another's life, with no respect to the victims human rights.
          enough said.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.