• View Poll Results: Your Choice:
    Get involved straight away to try to stop the assault
    45.28%
    Run and get help
    50.94%
    Do nothing
    3.77%

ReputationRep:
    I would get involved, and I have done in the past. But not in an antagonistic way. I wouldn't try and fight (I'm a girl so fat lot of use I'd be) but I would try and dissolve the situation if I could. I certainly wouldn't run.

ReputationRep:
    I would jump in because I think i could take three quarters of a person :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Interesting answers.

Though if you put yourself in the situation of the victim, what would you HOPE your possible saviour would do? I'd personally hope they came over and tried to diffuse the situation/help me if necessary.

It's a bit of a personal issue for me. I've had a couple of bad experiences and the 'discussion' in school kind of offended me. I said I would try to help the person straight away because I know that's what I'd hope someone would do for me: thus preventing me from further harm possibly.
    But yeah, the first time I was beat around a bit by 3 girls while I played football with a friend. HE (yes, a boy. As people seem to just count girls out of fights...) literally just pretended he didn't see anything while they hit me. He did NOTHING at all. But I know that I would have panicked even more if he had left...

The second time wasn't SO bad but I was playing football with my 2 male cousins and these 2 random girls came past and started throwing insults at me. I'd never met them before, especially true considering I don't even live ANYWHERE near the area! And my cousins didn't stick up for me or anything.
    Even more annoying is that after the first incident (the above), they were told about that through my parents and they said they would 'always protect me and stick up for me'.

I honestly do not trust any humans. So much for being 'safe' when you're with people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyNinja)
    Yeah but it could happen, espically as the crime rate will go up because the bad boys will be on the streets instead of college as they wont get there EMA.
    I think this is a bit of an exaggeration, the EMA doesn't have to do that much in this subject.
    There are other more important factors like the unemployment thing, the drugs consume which is (again!) proposed to be partly legal and so on..

If ''fighter'' is the one beating somebody on the corner, then, I'm not one of those.
    I'd definitely go with a non-violent method plus get some help from those who can definitely help me.

ReputationRep:
    Neither I'd tell their parents, this idea is probably more effective if its black folks.
    Assuming i dont know their parents I would probably throw a pebble at them and run, I am good at running I am especially when I am chased. I can gallop like a horse and sore through air. Then I will video them getting pissed off and put it on the internet to piss them off more and video them being more pissed off, make everyone in school watch it. Even better get it on the news! Wow not only am i getting them famous I am also making them look like fools.

Or
    I might start telling them how perfect they are, bullies, give them a break they are vulnerable, they need help and only asking for a hug really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paint-a-Picture)
    Neither I'd tell their parents, this idea is probably more effective if its black folks.
    Assuming i dont know their parents I would probably throw a pebble at them and run, I am good at running I am especially when I am chased. I can gallop like a horse and sore through air. Then I will video them getting pissed off and put it on the internet to piss them off more and video them being more pissed off, make everyone in school watch it. Even better get it on the news! Wow not only am i getting them famous I am also making them look like fools.

Or
    I might start telling them how perfect they are, bullies, give them a break they are vulnerable, they need help and only asking for a hug really.

Funny ideas BUT I can almost guarantee you that chances are very low for you to know their parents or to be that good at making them asking for a hug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_mike)
    I think this is a bit of an exaggeration, the EMA doesn't have to do that much in this subject.
    There are other more important factors like the unemployment thing, the drugs consume which is (again!) proposed to be partly legal and so on..

If ''fighter'' is the one beating somebody on the corner, then, I'm not one of those.
    I'd definitely go with a non-violent method plus get some help from those who can definitely help me.
    Things like unemployment will increase rapidly if EMA gets trashed. I bet most people(im saying like the people who dont want to learn) go to college because of EMA, if EMA doesnt exist they would probably leave school and go on the drugs/gangs side. Which would lead to these assaults for money and other items.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelySoul193)
    Interesting answers.

Though if you put yourself in the situation of the victim, what would you HOPE your possible saviour would do? I'd personally hope they came over and tried to diffuse the situation/help me if necessary.

It's a bit of a personal issue for me. I've had a couple of bad experiences and the 'discussion' in school kind of offended me. I said I would try to help the person straight away because I know that's what I'd hope someone would do for me: thus preventing me from further harm possibly.
    But yeah, the first time I was beat around a bit by 3 girls while I played football with a friend. HE (yes, a boy. As people seem to just count girls out of fights...) literally just pretended he didn't see anything while they hit me. He did NOTHING at all. But I know that I would have panicked even more if he had left...

The second time wasn't SO bad but I was playing football with my 2 male cousins and these 2 random girls came past and started throwing insults at me. I'd never met them before, especially true considering I don't even live ANYWHERE near the area! And my cousins didn't stick up for me or anything.
    Even more annoying is that after the first incident (the above), they were told about that through my parents and they said they would 'always protect me and stick up for me'.

I honestly do not trust any humans. So much for being 'safe' when you're with people
    That's...quite pathetic of them to be honest, if other girls attacked one of my female friends I'd definitely get involved - I wouldn't hit them but I wouldn't let them attack her either, I'd stand in the way if necessary. I don't think most guys would have watched them beat you up.
    In general though it really depends on the situation, if I think that I can genuinely help by getting involved (e.g I can pull them apart and diffuse the situation or even the odds, they're on the ground and are going to be seriously hurt if I don't act now etc) then I'd be likely to wade in. But unless it's a really close friend/relative or someone vulnerable e.g a young kid, elderly person or pregnant woman (just examples) that's being assaulted I'm not going to go charging in and end up in the bed next to them in A&E for absolutely no point whatsoever when it would have been better for everyone if I'd just stepped out of the way and called the police. I'm not going to go crazy on an armed gang for the sake of John Smith in the street.

If I thought I could help them more by intervening and I was unlikely to be 'seriously' injured then I'd intervene. It would be interesting to see how girls voted relative to guys on here.

P.S you should trust 'some' human beings.

ReputationRep:
    I would usually get stuck in because the get help option is useless because it only takes 3 or 4 guys about 30 secs to kill someone if they want to so it is never going to be there in time. Even if there is no chance of being any use I would still get in because I would rather let the person know I tried to help than feel like I stood by and watched it happen. Although I am not stupid and if I was going to get seriously hurt without helping I wouldn't go in.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.