The Student Room Group

How do you react when you recieve a present?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tootles
Maybe she does like you, and that's why she acted in such an odd way.

When I'm accepting a gift, I'll immediately thank the giver, and if appropriate give them a hug.

Hmm maybe, but she could have mustered some sort of appreciation?
People react differently when receiving presents. My family are very enthusiastic about presents, even if they don't really like them. Its the thought that counts. On the other hand my exes family were like "Thanks... not really my colour, did you keep the receipt?" I was shocked the first Christmas I spent there, Lol.

I wouldn't worry about it, you've said she can be a little socially awkward, maybe she just didn't know how to react. She's probably kicking herself for reacting in such a strange way. Just ignore it, don't embarrass her about it.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm maybe, but she could have mustered some sort of appreciation?

You would hope that, but some people don't think that way.
Reply 23
She probably doesn't know how to react as someone said before, as you said she's fine with you normally.
Reply 24
Anyone else?
Original post by Vohamanah
People react differently when receiving presents. My family are very enthusiastic about presents, even if they don't really like them. Its the thought that counts. On the other hand my exes family were like "Thanks... not really my colour, did you keep the receipt?" I was shocked the first Christmas I spent there, Lol.

I wouldn't worry about it, you've said she can be a little socially awkward, maybe she just didn't know how to react. She's probably kicking herself for reacting in such a strange way. Just ignore it, don't embarrass her about it.

If someone said that at a present I got them, I'd just be like 'rights, don't like it - then give it back and i'll give it to someone else'.

i can't deal with rude people tho.
i scream at the top of my lungs and cry
Reply 27
Original post by aarroonnn
i scream at the top of my lungs and cry

jaja biggs
So I give this girl that I like from work a present (small box of choc that she likes kinda rare) and she acted really weirdly!
First she was like 'Wow you actually brought me something?!' Then I handed it to her and she didn't take it so I put it on the table by her. She looked at it for a bit then blushingly asked if I would put it in her bag as she was putting her coat on. Then without saying thanks she walked off, and i'm like wtf? Not even a thank you?
We're normally good friends and speak a lot, her friends even told me that she liked me so that's why I got her a present. I just don't understand why she'd just walk off :dontknow: She's kinda shy normally, and not very good at social situations. is that why she acted like that or does this mean she doesn't like me?

I would be like 'wow, thankyou' and smile. If you are just a guy at work who went out of his way to give me something then i would be bit weirded out. I know a guy at work who gave me a safety knife cos i borrowed his and said how useful it was and he happened to have got pack of 5. He's a nice guy and sweet, he gives me a lift to and from work every sunday, but i would feel a bit weird if he bought me a present just randomly.
Reply 29
if shes shy and awkward she might just embarrassed that she didnt get you anything?
Reply 30
Original post by hippieglitter
I would be like 'wow, thankyou' and smile. If you are just a guy at work who went out of his way to give me something then i would be bit weirded out. I know a guy at work who gave me a safety knife cos i borrowed his and said how useful it was and he happened to have got pack of 5. He's a nice guy and sweet, he gives me a lift to and from work every sunday, but i would feel a bit weird if he bought me a present just randomly.

It's not really a random gift it's for Christmas. Anyway she hinted that she wanted these chocs for xmas and that she likes presents?
Reply 31
How do you react when you recieve a present?

I take off all my clothes while screaming "SOMEBODY LIKES ME!", then I take the present and jump out the window.

Seriously though, your 'friend' sounds either very stuck up, or nervous.
Reply 32
Original post by James4d
I take off all my clothes while screaming "SOMEBODY LIKES ME!", then I take the present and jump out the window.

Seriously though, your 'friend' sounds either very stuck up, or nervous.

Definately not stuck up, I'd say the latter.
Reply 33
Original post by damos92
If it's from my family, i'm like 'thanks' and i flash a small smile, aiming for sincerity if the present in question is **** but in recent years, they've stuck to the list and not deviated, which is unfortunate for Burton...

When i was in year 6, there was this girl on my table and we were very friendly. I bought her a big chocolate bar and she comes in with some £15 aftershave and a huge ass Harry Potter card which was coloured gold on the sides, it really was something. I gave her a normal sized card from a generic 50 pack.

Needless to say, i felt quite embarassed and just hit her with the old 'cool' and went off and erm, played tag.

Aftershave for an 11 year old?

The card sounds awesome though :tongue:
Original post by ArcaneAnna
If someone said that at a present I got them, I'd just be like 'rights, don't like it - then give it back and i'll give it to someone else'.

i can't deal with rude people tho.

I thought it was rude as well, found it quite awkward. But I guess some people are like "Well, if you're going to spend money I want something I'd buy myself". I'd rather accept it with thanks and then put it in a drawer (not a fan of wearing things for show, but I might tell a little white lie and say I've worn it a couple of times) then eventually slip it into a bag to the charity shop when I can get away with it =D
Reply 35
I thought it was rude as well, found it quite awkward. But I guess some people are like "Well, if you're going to spend money I want something I'd buy myself". I'd rather accept it with thanks and then put it in a drawer (not a fan of wearing things for show, but I might tell a little white lie and say I've worn it a couple of times) then eventually slip it into a bag to the charity shop when I can get away with it =D

How rude of you! :mad:
How rude of you! :mad:

Whatevs =p
Reply 37
So I give this girl that I like from work a present (small box of choc that she likes kinda rare) and she acted really weirdly!
First she was like 'Wow you actually brought me something?!' Then I handed it to her and she didn't take it so I put it on the table by her. She looked at it for a bit then blushingly asked if I would put it in her bag as she was putting her coat on. Then without saying thanks she walked off, and i'm like wtf? Not even a thank you?
We're normally good friends and speak a lot, her friends even told me that she liked me so that's why I got her a present. I just don't understand why she'd just walk off :dontknow: She's kinda shy normally, and not very good at social situations. is that why she acted like that or does this mean she doesn't like me?

she's not into you
Reply 38
Whatevs =p

I'll give you 'whatevs'

This song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cZGgtN42ns
Original post by Dr. Manic Mechanic
I'll feed yer belly with chips and make ye laugh wae ma Scottish accent.

And I'll see if you say "Thank you" to me. :colondollar:

Ha, I would most definitly say thank you :smile: food is my second favourite thing..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending