Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the best Afro/Black male hairstyle in your opinion? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Please just cut it all off and get a nice shape up. I hate it when boys think its nice for them to have long hair, its just not attractive. Next thing they'll be getting weave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom Boom Pow)
    You want to end up looking like this?

ehhh not really...I dont think it suits him much.

(Original post by Facticity)
    Would you say there is a difference though between a black person such as I to straighten my hair as opposed to an Asian person (I presume) such as your self to cover their hair in gel, which is typically a western style. :holmes:
    you're a black guy that straightens his hair?

how is your hair styled? I'm very interested haha since I dont know any black guy who has straightened hair...

(Original post by South's Finest)
    Don't get any of those moist hairstyles that have been posted before
    then what do you think I should go for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlackMonster)
    I'm thinking of changing my hair within the next few weeks. At the moment I just have an afro (been growing it out just under two years) and i'm getting really bored with it and want to do something different.

BUUUT, I want a style that would cover up my forehead. It's giant and I really hate it, people tease/diss me for it from time to time so I was thinking something that could cover it up slightly.

Maybe something like this? Your thoughts? I wouldnt mind straightening my hair btw, I think it looks cool for black guys.

Firstly, you're not black. You look Latin American. As for black guys I'd say dreads or braids look good.

ReputationRep:
    ehhh not really...I dont think it suits him much.

how is your hair styled? I'm very interested haha since I dont know any black guy who has straightened hair...

then what do you think I should go for them?
    Ponytail ?
    Canerows ?
    Dreads ?
    Mohican ?

ReputationRep:
    nah, i'm straight up black. and I was thinking of a fauxhawk actually, but a bigger than usual one...

ok, what about this guy? he looks black and not mixed race.

The guy looks like a mug, which you will if you straighten your hair. My mum would slap me, and rightly so, if I ever engaged in such stupidness. I wouldn't get a fauxhawk either. Everytime I see a black guy with one it just tells me that they are late/still hanging onto a trend that reached its peak in Summer '09 and has now died.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    "asian" and "white" people have t the same texture of hair so would apply the same hair products... People of african/caribbean origin have a different texture of hair so apply different products to their hair..... Nothing to do with race/culture, but rather texture of the hair......

nothing wrong with straightening your hair.... depends how "frizzy" the hair is and if it suits the individual...
    Are you jokin? Your trying to make a statement that black people shouldn't straighten their hair because of texture? If you straighten it, as you have seen in the photos, they would have similar hair and texture. There is no difference there really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Firstly, you're not black. You look Latin American. As for black guys I'd say dreads or braids look good.
    heh, that's not me unfortunately

(Original post by South's Finest)
    Ponytail ?
    Canerows ?
    Dreads ?
    Mohican ?
    No, because that would show my forehead off even worse
    I had those a couple years ago and its the same problem as above
    It wont cover my forehead
    Yeah thats what I was thinking of, maybe

and yeah, I know i'm insecure about it but i've had enough teasing and bull**** from other people about it.

(Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    The guy looks like a mug, which you will if you straighten your hair. My mum would slap me, and rightly so, if I ever engaged in such stupidness. I wouldn't get a fauxhawk either. Everytime I see a black guy with one it just tells me that they are late/still hanging onto a trend that reached its peak in Summer '09 and has now died.
    my mum would probably slap me too and I would get a LOT of grief from my black friends as well as a whole bunch of weird looks in school.

but no, fauxhawks are still fashionable and trendy. seriously, but if someone had it I would think they're kinda douchy...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

I DO NOT! straighten my hair mate. I was merely trying to make a point. There isn't really anything inherently wrong with straightening your hair, rather it is just public opinion. But I personally wouldn't straighten my hair, sorry :p:

ReputationRep:
    OP just get a nice shape up..tbh i dont think anyone will really care about your forehead.

And black guys who straighten their hair...well thats just a sign of a loser! sorry to say

ReputationRep:
    A black guy with straight hair would look as wierd as a white guy with dreadlocks or an Afro. Dont do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Are you jokin? Your trying to make a statement that black people shouldn't straighten their hair because of texture? If you straighten it, as you have seen in the photos, they would have similar hair and texture. There is no difference there really.
    I didn't say black people shoudn't straighten thier hair or not wear weaves etc....

I was answering your question as to whether or not straightening hair is similar to asian people putting gel in their hair (something which you attribute to western culture).... My answer was that it is not..... asian and white people have the same texture of hair... and so will use the same hair products (different to "black" people who have a different texture of hair and so would use different hair products)

Even after straightening afro style hair the texture is still different... more coarse hence the need to use a load of different chemicals.... the guy in the photo is mixed race, so his hair is slightly different

don't get your panties in a twist..... not saying that black people shouldn't straighten hair/wear weaves... I know this is a "touchy" subject for some black people..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    A black guy with straight hair would look as wierd as a white guy with dreadlocks or an Afro. Dont do it.
    some white people have tight curls and grows out into afro styles... ie. the style which is referred to as the "jewfro" in american popular culture....looks good on some whte people,..... depends if they can pulll it off... I've seen white rastas and their attitude and "swagger" make it work..

ReputationRep:
    some white people have tight curls and grows out into afro styles... ie. the style which is referred to as the "jewfro" in american popular culture....looks good on some whte people,..... depends if they can pulll it off... I've seen white rastas and their attitude and "swagger" make it work..
    I never said that white people couldnt grow afros or have dreadlocks, i said it would look weird. If i saw a black guy with dreads or an afro i wouldnt look twice at him. If i saw a white person with dreads or an afro, it looks weird. Im sure some can pull it off, in general it looks out of place.

ReputationRep:
    there are quite a few black footballers who go with the straightened hairstyles...

ReputationRep:
    there are quite a few black footballers who go with the straightened hairstyles...
    Drogba and it works, looks fine with him

OP ignore the stupid people degrading black guys that straighten their hair, do it if you want, it doesn't make you any less of a person. It's just your choice

Haters gon' hate

ReputationRep:
    nah, i'm straight up black. and I was thinking of a fauxhawk actually, but a bigger than usual one...

That looks so weird, like he's trying to be emo or something

ReputationRep:
    Drogba!

T.J STORM!

ReputationRep:

gay.
    but if you're gay, go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Shape up!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am going travelling in Jan 2011 to South East Asia for 4 months and then to Australia for hopefully a year.

This may sound pathetic but, i have no idea what to do with my hair for the 4 months in Asia. I currently relax it but this isnt going to be an option there.

I have tried googling what to do with my hair for that long but couldnt find any responses.

I think ill end up plaiting it, but if anyone has any tips on how to make the plaits last for 4 months id be really grateful?

Thanksxx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.