Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had thought that they would start next week at the very earliest, golly... I'm putting it out of my mind, don't want a rejection to destroy my birthday (but on the other hand, an offer would make it the best 18th possible!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieLucenstiel)
    Since when did Cambridge ever make offers before January?
    This...?!

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry but this is not the case for any undergraduate admissions. The admissions forum of Cambridge (which defines the selection procedures) states that interviews take place in the first two full weeks of December. Selection then takes place in the week immediately preceding Christmas. A college chooses to accept any of its applicants which receive a positive enough critique (from the application and interview) to be deemed acceptable. They then look the to inter-college 'pool' in the week before the 5th January, to find excellent applicants which have not been immediately accepted by that college and consider them for any places that that have remaining. Hence undergraduate offers are not made before Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tellitims93)
    I'm sorry but this is not the case for any undergraduate admissions. The admissions forum of Cambridge (which defines the selection procedures) states that interviews take place in the first two full weeks of December. Selection then takes place in the week immediately preceding Christmas. A college chooses to accept any of its applicants which receive a positive enough critique (from the application and interview) to be deemed acceptable. They then look the to inter-college 'pool' in the week before the 5th January, to find excellent applicants which have not been immediately accepted by that college and consider them for any places that that have remaining. Hence undergraduate offers are not made before Christmas.
    It may be different for international students! Also it said that applicants should not be charged for accomodation and meals but Downing did charge so perhaps they are being maverick this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simply_love_you)
    Thanks for creating the thread! I actually got my offer letter yesterday but I did not know if I should post the good new on TSR or not! There are people who had good news now!!
    College : Sydney
    Biological Natural Sciences
    Offer : A*A*ABB
    IELTS : 7.0
    That would be Sidney (Sussex)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd4483)
    That would be Sidney (Sussex)
    Shot down, Amen to you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tellitims93)
    Actually, that is not completely true. I am a graduate but the course I have applied for is an undergraduate course and I have an offer. It depends on the course and if the applicant is international (which does not apply to me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seham)
    Actually, that is not completely true. I am a graduate but the course I have applied for is an undergraduate course and I have an offer. It depends on the course and if the applicant is international (which does not apply to me).
    I assume you have an offer as an affiliated student ie a Graduate who will take a two year course. All normal undergraduates will have their offer letters posted to them on 5th January. It does not vary between courses and it is the same for internationals-although they may hear by email.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...tion2/2_2.html
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ffiliated.html
    If you’re a graduate with an approved degree from another university, you can apply to take a Cambridge BA course as an affiliated student. This means you could take a degree in a year less than usual. Most Colleges admit some affiliated students.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I assume you have an offer as an affiliated student ie a Graduate who will take a two year course. All normal undergraduates will have their offer letters posted to them on 5th January. It does not vary between courses and it is the same for internationals-although they may hear by email.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...tion2/2_2.html
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ffiliated.html
    If you’re a graduate with an approved degree from another university, you can apply to take a Cambridge BA course as an affiliated student. This means you could take a degree in a year less than usual. Most Colleges admit some affiliated students.
    No, I'm not an affiliated student. This is the course that I have an offer for:
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...urses/medgrad/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seham)
    No, I'm not an affiliated student. This is the course that I have an offer for:
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...urses/medgrad/
    Well done, not an easy course to get an offer for.

It is a four year course whereas the undergrad medical course is six years (so is treated like an affiliate course for admissions) hence why you didn't have to wait till the 5th Jan.

Nobody applying for the six year course will hear early.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    Well done, not an easy course to get an offer for.

It is a four year course whereas the undergrad medical course is six years (so is treated like an affiliate course for admissions) hence why you didn't have to wait till the 5th Jan.

Nobody applying for the six year course will hear early.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is probably really stupid question but do cambridge send the offers or rejections at the same time from 5th january-going on what previous posters have said...??

ReputationRep:
    Also there will be a backlog of post from christmas due to snow...longer wait, to probably get rejected-stupid snow how annoying

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about emailing my college on the 5th because I assume there will be a backlog from the snow. Is that really going to be an issue as they've already made up their minds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safwaansh)
    I was thinking about emailing my college on the 5th because I assume there will be a backlog from the snow. Is that really going to be an issue as they've already made up their minds
    I think you can actually phone them on the 5th if your desperate to know.

ReputationRep:
    Wie leicht werden bei euch 15 punkte verschenkt? bei uns sind die lehrer nach dem motto: ich hab erst 2mal in 20 jahren oberstufe 15 punkte vergeben.
    Das ist einfach unfair! nichtmal zwischen den bundesländern wird unterschieden in england, mies ist das, mies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schnecke)
    Some one on the other thread knew someone who had one.. so a loose connection but yeah.

I applied there for Maths, was expecting to wait til the 5th, so news that people are getting offers is petrifying.
    Definitely agree with u,it is petrifying.:eek::eek::eek:
    I applied Downing for engineering.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Since decision day is coming up, you can use this thread to let the rest of the world know about your offer, but please limit yourself to one post in the following format:

Name (optional): Anne Richardson
    Subject: Engineering (Civil)
    College: Trinity Hall
    Offer: A*AA and an A * in Physics
    How you found out: Post
    [Insert gushy, smiley-riddled response here]: :eek::eek::eek::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:
    *starts to hyperventilate and collapses in a heap*

For ANY other form of discussion, i.e. congratulations, questions whether anyone has had an offer for X from college Y yet, 'omg I'm SO nervous' posts, etc. please use the 2010 applicants' discussion thread, otherwise your posts will be moved or binned. If you want to discuss your offers, please use this thread.

If you were unlucky, feel free to post on this thread to have a good moan, exchange commiserations, feel a bit sorry for yourself and hopefully recover a bit more quickly in the knowledge that you're not the only one who missed out this year...

Good luck everyone!!!!

Why open this thread eight days before we hear?
      It's also an exact copy of the Oxford one.

ReputationRep:
      According to the Cambridge website, they send out all offers aroun the same time in JANUARY.
      I am still under the impression that they do not send out offers before then.
      Hmm.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.