Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    There's a massive gap being nationalism and patriotism. Nationalism is stating that your ethnic group is superior to others and you don't want to associate with them. Patriotism and being proud of your nation is about pride in past generations and the people who have built this nation and the people who continue to.

Please clarify the difference for me. Pride inherently requires something to be proud of. Naturally that means something to compare what you are proud of to. So evidently, in stating your pride for something you assert its superiority over something else.

Nationalism is not stating that your ethnic group is superior to others it is stating that your nation is superior to others. Ethnicity, locaion etc..etc... comes afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yes.

Also to the neg reppers,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devils18)
    By British does that include Asians that were born here like me? Or is it just the indigenous population?
    It is replies like this one that makes me wish nick griffin was here He thinks you're only british if your ancestors were here just after the iceage. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Extremely. This sums it up for me, an extract from Bill Bryon's "Notes From a Small Island"

"It looked so peaceful and wonderful that I could almost have cried, and yet it was only a tiny part of this small, enchanted island. Suddenly, in the space of a moment, I realised what it was that I loved about Britain - which is to say, all of it. Every last bit of it, good and bad - Marmite, village fetes, country lanes, people saying 'I'm terribly sorry but', people apologizing to me when I conk them with a careless elbow, milk in bottles, beans on toast, haymaking in June, stinging nettles, seaside piers, Ordnance Survey maps, crumpets, hot-water bottles as a necessity, drizzly Sundays - every bit of it.

What a wondrous place this was - crazy as f**k, of course, but adorable to the tiniest degree."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRevolution)
    I am not proud to be living after the golden age of the British Empire.

I am not proud that we are a country desperatley holding on to the global perception of being a world power. It's so contrived when it used to be effortless.

I'm very dissapointed and ashamed at the pathetic way our Empire was thrown away.

I am also not proud because I'm not part of the gentry or the upper classes but lower-middle at best. It's not tha part of British society I feel like i fit in within nor feel proud to be in.
    wasn't thrown away. fought tooth and nail for it; especially the "jewel in the crown"....

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud that Britain had the largest empire the world has ever seen but those glory days are gone and I am ashamed of what Britain is becoming. But still, proud to be British.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was born with a mildly rich family in LA - 90210

Spoiler:
    Show
    Or in the future when Jedi's exist

ReputationRep:
    Not really, it's just a fact that i'm British, I haven't done anything to achieve it so I have no reason to feel proud

ReputationRep:
    yes indeedy..... ingurrrlund, ingurrlund, ingurrrlund....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I know you shouldn't be proud of where you happened to be born, but since there's no changing it you may as well embrace the fact and show some national pride. I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.

So are you proud to be British?
    Patriotism is so stupid. I tend to identify myself with those who share the same values as me no matter where they're from, not with the millions of strangers who happen to live in the geographical region as me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    It is replies like this one that makes me wish nick griffin was here He thinks you're only british if your ancestors were here just after the iceage. :rolleyes:
    No it was a genuine question, you plum. I wasn't being sarcastic, just trying to a clear understand of what the OP meant.

ReputationRep:
    i'm happy to be british, sure, but not proud

infact i find myself disliking the majority of british people i meet

especially the general youth culture, it's an embarrassment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I know you shouldn't be proud of where you happened to be born, but since there's no changing it you may as well embrace the fact and show some national pride. I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.

So are you proud to be British?
    Britian is the greatest nation on this whole earth . Britian once ruled over 3/4 of the earths surface at the height of the British Empire, and dont anyone forget it!

ReputationRep:
    I dont class myself as British but im proud to be English.

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud to be English, but not British. For me they represent different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    There's a massive gap being nationalism and patriotism.
    No there isn't. Patriotism is the emotional application of nationalism.

Nationalism is stating that your ethnic group is superior to others
    That's not what nationalism is :hmmm: If you don't know what nationalism is, you shouldn't get into a conversation about it. Nationality is not the same as ethnicity. I.e. I may be ethnically South-asian, but my nationality is British.

This is nationalism:

Definitions of nationalism on the Web:

- patriotism: love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it; "they rode the same wave of popular patriotism"; "British nationalism was in the air and patriotic sentiments ran high"
    - the doctrine that your national culture and interests are superior to any other
    - the aspiration for national independence felt by people under foreign domination
    - the doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

Note: the use of the word PATRIOTISM, in the definition of NATIONALISM :facepalm:

and you don't want to associate with them.
    You've got your definitions mixed up, and hence can't make a coherent argument. Reply once you've bought yourself a dictionary.

Patriotism and being proud of your nation
    Which is exactly what nationalism is. Whilst I can not in any way dictate other people's views, I find nationalism, and it's emotional execution, a truly abhorrent thing.

is about pride in past generations and the people who have built this nation
    None of which have anything to do with you personally. Needless pride is the precursor to racism, national superiority, and xenophobia. Whilst you may disagree with me, I find it laughable that your sense of self comes from the achievements of others which have nothing to do with you. You didn't earn your nationality, you didn't work for your nationality, you did nothing more to attain your British nationality than you did your race or your parents income and those are equally abhorrent to be proud of. I find your 'patriotism' rather pathetic to be quite honest.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being patriotic.
    I'm sure many would feel the same about race-pride, and class-pride.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am proud to be British and would fly the flag with pride

More so with the history, not so much with the present time though

We aren't as 'Great' as we used to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Please clarify the difference for me. Pride inherently requires something to be proud of. Naturally that means something to compare what you are proud of to. So evidently, in stating your pride for something you assert its superiority over something else.

Nationalism is not stating that your ethnic group is superior to others it is stating that your nation is superior to others. Ethnicity, locaion etc..etc... comes afterwards.
    You can be proud of your nation and still respect others. Ie I'm very proud of being British and British history and historical figures. Does it mean I dislike the French and belittle their people? no. I love taking the piss out of the French as much as the next man but I still recognise great French art, history, their wonderful language etc.

Nationalism is something different. You see it in Nazi Germany with the idea that Germans were Aryan supermen, you see it in the Balkans with the Serbs and Croats believing the Bosniak Muslims were below them and you see it within some far right elements of Israel who hate the Palestinians.

Entirely different things. One seminar of a political thought class on the subject could tell you that.

ReputationRep:
    Not "proud" as such - as far as I'm concerned, pride is a negative thing: one of the seven deadly sins, no less. But yes, I'm very attached to Britain, Scotland, the city I live in, the county I grew up in, all that jazz.

(Original post by devils18)
    By British does that include Asians that were born here like me? Or is it just the indigenous population?
    Well, you're British then. Have a look at your passport.

(Original post by scorpion95)
    Yes I am proud to be British and would fly the flag with pride

More so with the history, not so much with the present time though

We aren't as 'Great' as we used to be
    Britain has never been a better place to live than it is in this era, morally or materially.

Far too many people fetishise times when coloured people were openly abused in the street, homosexuality was a criminal offence and working class people in towns left their doors unlocked... largely because they owned nothing worth stealing. I certainly don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    this! Although I would rather be a lion.
    I agree, being a lion is much more preferable. Anyway, nobody really knows what 'being British' is anymore?? I can proudly say that I am proud to be, well, Welsh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.