Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Chair. Short story by me Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    I did try and re-read each paragraph. Clearly mussid out the smalled typo. As people said though, it sounds like the protagonist is a mermaid.

Please note: I did see the typos in this message but choose note to edit :dontknow:
    did you mean to say "note"???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbycrisp)
    did you mean to say "note"???
    Nope, meant to say "not" and "Chose". Wanted to see if people noticed said typos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a daedalus)
    I mean it's a surprisingly good start, in a sense, most writing done by anybody under 25 is terrible.
    That's a pretty big sweeping generalisation.

The OP's is just nonsense, and LOLCHAIR was completely and rather serendipitously appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrettyBored)
    That's a pretty big sweeping generalisation.

The OP's is just nonsense, and LOLCHAIR was completely and rather serendipitously appropriate.
    "Most" writing - I think it's pretty fair, lol. And you can get cocky about someone else's writing all you want without showing us any of yours, but at least try to say something useful, or if not, don't say anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    I started reading and I have a few comments:

Nitpicky things... why are there clean torture instruments on a dirty sheet?
    I know this has already been mentioned but there is one particularly irritating grammatical error I can't ignore. You say 'it’s contents'. It's its. But then, that's me being pedantic.

Story comments...
    Um... you have a very interesting concept.
    While I was reading I noticed the motivations of the sadist aren't really explained but you don't make me want to know her motivations. You're telling and not showing. You could have given us an idea of her inner thoughts because right now it seems like it's missing *something*. It's a bit newspaper headline-y 'Newsflash:Person tortures other person'. We don't know why, apart from for sexual gratification. My issue is that there's nothing especially interesting about us 'watching' someone torturing someone else. There needs to be something more to this to make the reader invest in the story. Onto a similar point, the twist at the end with the sadist being a woman didn't really have any sort of effect because there wasn't really a sense of character to begin with. The torturer could be anyone. There are quite a few awkward phrases, and as a result the story is a bit hard to read. Gratituous torture only works in films like Saw (and even then it's debatable if it actually works). I think this has the potential to be a good piece, you just need to show the emotions of the sadist and/or victim and make us feel the tension. Think Misery by Stephen King, the scene where Annie Wilkes tortures the writer is terrifying.
    Hope this isn't too harsh. This is a very interesting story, I just didn't really get anything from it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.