Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

just a shy girl :(.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalala1)
    thanks for advice

and i really dont understand how shy girls are cute? lol
    With shy girls, you always know there's more to them. This alone makes them wonderful :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    I'm like this and I've managed to make friends at uni
    The trick is to talk to people when they're on their own if you're shy in big groups! Then they often end up introducing you to other people, and things just go on from there
    In the first few weeks lots of people will prop their doors open (if you're in halls) which means they want to talk - just tap on their door and say hi, offer them tea or something too if you like
    Go out during freshers week too, even if you don't like clubbing you're bound to meet people there (often other people that also hate clubbing and just went to be sociable :p:). Granted you don't get to talk too much but you become familiar with them which makes it easier to talk to them later because you can just be like "hey, I remember you from ____"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    I'm like this and I've managed to make friends at uni
    The trick is to talk to people when they're on their own if you're shy in big groups! Then they often end up introducing you to other people, and things just go on from there
    In the first few weeks lots of people will prop their doors open (if you're in halls) which means they want to talk - just tap on their door and say hi, offer them tea or something too if you like
    Go out during freshers week too, even if you don't like clubbing you're bound to meet people there (often other people that also hate clubbing and just went to be sociable :p:). Granted you don't get to talk too much but you become familiar with them which makes it easier to talk to them later because you can just be like "hey, I remember you from ____"
    thank you for that.. and i think that in the summer before i go away, ill get a chance to go clubbin etc cos il be 18! and so i can try talking to new people there mite help for when i actually go to uni

ReputationRep:
    I swear shy girls are the best. Because you are probably not those loud obnoxious stuck up girls. Just try to open up more, I know it can be hard cuz I'm a shy guy myself. But maybe join some sort of activity that'll help you to make friends more easily. You genuinely sound like an awesome person to be around. But always be yourself too.

ReputationRep:
    well, im a girl and im 17, at college doing a levels. i also have a part-time job and planning on going to uni next september.
    but, i really scared of not making friends at uni, becos i am realllyyy shy when i meet new people and it takes me long to eventually open up and be ME!
    cos although people think im quiet/shy i do actually have a loud, funny side to me, but only my close friends see that.

also, i find it hard to talk in big group situations. for example, if im with my best friend i will talk to her like normal and not be shy or quiet etc. but when lots of other people come along i just go soooo quiet. im also really shy around boys that i like lol

and when i start uni, i really want to be more confident, so that people dont think im quiet and boring becos (not to be big headed) i think that i am fun to be around.

anyone got any advice and tips on making conversation with new people and how to become more confident.
    and tips on talking to boys.

thankssss!
    I was in a way quite like this when I was in my earlier years of high school. I would be normal with close friends but in a large group go quieter. I think it was an unconcious fear of embarrassing myself in front of a large audience. I started to adapt to the attitude of "who gives a ****". I'm much more fun and bubbly no matter who the audience is, I geuninely don't care for their opinion as long as I'm having fun. Today I've got a lot of friends rather than just a few close ones. You don't have to be a loud ***** but I've also noticed people can mistake shyness for being miserable, so give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    Uni is so much more varied than any level before it, college etc. There are so many different clusters of people and niches that I don't think I've found someone who wasn't a part of one.

People find uni a lot easier to be themselves because they find a lot more like minded people.

Just chill out and be true to yourself. Your niche will find you.

Stay cool.

ReputationRep:
    well, im a girl and im 17, at college doing a levels. i also have a part-time job and planning on going to uni next september.
    but, i really scared of not making friends at uni, becos i am realllyyy shy when i meet new people and it takes me long to eventually open up and be ME!
    cos although people think im quiet/shy i do actually have a loud, funny side to me, but only my close friends see that.

also, i find it hard to talk in big group situations. for example, if im with my best friend i will talk to her like normal and not be shy or quiet etc. but when lots of other people come along i just go soooo quiet. im also really shy around boys that i like lol

and when i start uni, i really want to be more confident, so that people dont think im quiet and boring becos (not to be big headed) i think that i am fun to be around.

anyone got any advice and tips on making conversation with new people and how to become more confident.
    and tips on talking to boys.

thankssss!
    i used to be exactly like you, but when i started university, i became more confident, got great friends and fun to be around with. don't you worry! just don't hide on the first week of uni and you'll do just fine

ReputationRep:
    ive also found that it helps me to open up more when im around people that make me laugh a lot cos i love laughingg.. and that helps make good friendships i think

ReputationRep:
    ive also found that it helps me to open up more when im around people that make me laugh a lot cos i love laughingg.. and that helps make good friendships i think
    Top marks make a few jokes when your around people your getting to know, they laugh at them, and you will gain the confidence to speak up.
    and dont worry too much about being shy, look at my name, im a shy guy too, so your not alone

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.