Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? Watch

(Original post by HumanNature1992)
      They're both the same
      :facepalm2:

Would you care to explain how they are both the same? Films that were in production for almost 8 years and a director who was a perfectionist who ensured that he would get the perfect shot by shooting from different angles and who also stayed impressively faithful to the source material. Oh, and the fact that it also won 11 Oscars. Or, a bunch of decent to mediocre films taken up by different directors, each of them disappointing in their own way and complete with average acting from those playing the main characters?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by karateworm)
      You think? I reckon Gandalf would be prancing around with his staff and shouting epic stuff... and then Dumbledore would turn invisible, turn Gandalfs hat into a big fat turd and create a wall of fire to pwn his arse.
      I agree In Harry Potter, the spell range is broader and more diverse. Spells in LOTR seem to take an age to cast, lol.

ReputationRep:
      You think? I reckon Gandalf would be prancing around with his staff and shouting epic stuff... and then Dumbledore would turn invisible, turn Gandalfs hat into a big fat turd and create a wall of fire to pwn his arse.
      You're ignoring the fact that Gandalf has a huge, ****-off Elven sword made in Gondolin which would pretty much just kill Dumbledore. Also the fact that Gandalf is a Maiar and thus akin to an angel...

(Original post by domino0806)
      The Lord of the Rings, obviously. People who say LOTR is a difficult read must have half a brain. The Silmarillion on the other hand...
      I get to study them next term. :excited:

ReputationRep:
      I think the more important question is:

Gandalf vs Dumbledore - who would win?

Gaaah, you beat me to it!

Harry Potter/ Dumbledore forever

ReputationRep:
      Well seeing as if you kill Gandalf, he'll just come back more powerful and his robes will just change colour...

Whereas Dumbledore SPOILER ALERT just dies.

ReputationRep:
      Lord of the Rings on both counts. Anyone thinking that the Harry Potter books match up to the LotR books is having a laugh also.

ReputationRep:
      The lord of the rings has so much more to off than the Harry Potter series does. Even if we go and talk about the films, LoTR kicks HP's arse any day! There's no contest.

Gandalf is so cool! I wish they would show him off a bit more in the films, but when they did... man, he was cool :p:

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hylean)
      Lord of the Rings for both films and books. I like the Harry Potter books, but they're not a touch on Tolkien's work.

Similarly, Harry Potter has not had much of an influence on Modern Fantasy as Lord of the Rings; the latter pretty much created High Fantasy whilst the former just works within an already established genre, which the author takes little notice of and it takes little notice of her.

Lord of the Rings will always be the more influential work.

It's not a trilogy and you make me laugh with the latter point. The book is over 50 years old and is still one the most influential and popular books in the world.
      If we forget the bigger picture for a second, from an acute point of view the Harry Potter books are so much more readable and easy to engage with. At times The Lord of the Rings saga is, well, downright boring. I'm no literary critic and nor will I ever be, and maybe I'd think differently if I was. As it is though, I'll always enjoy HP more.

ReputationRep:
      Lord Of The Rings, both bookwise and filmwise....simply due to its awesomeness....

the dull, dry predictability of Harry Potter doesn't even get close to Tolkien's masterpiece

ReputationRep:
      Harry Potter has captivated me slightly more in the past. I haven't seen a LOTR film in cinema, only on TV. aren't the movies like 3.45 hours looooooooooong bloody exhausting but good. I'm planning on watching both from the first movie to the last in a sort of marathon. for a whole day dedicated to that film. I'm also planning to do the same for star wars watch em in order from 1 to 6

this would be totally badass:sexface:

ReputationRep:
      Anyone who votes Potter is one of the following:

a child
      can't read properly
      a girl
      a gay

ReputationRep:
      Harry Potter. The books are great, and the films are generally good. The only exception would be the 5th film eurgh, but then that was my least favourite of the HP books.

I like LOTR films though. I never really understood the story when I was younger but now it makes much more sense I probably wouldn't read the books though.

ReputationRep:
      Are you crazy obviously it's Harry Potter. Most successful film franchise ever is Harry Potter...not "LoTR". kk.

(Original post by BlackVenom321)
        Harry Potter has captivated me slightly more in the past. I haven't seen a LOTR film in cinema, only on TV. aren't the movies like 3.45 hours looooooooooong bloody exhausting but good. I'm planning on watching both from the first movie to the last in a sort of marathon. for a whole day dedicated to that film. I'm also planning to do the same for star wars watch em in order from 1 to 6

this would be totally badass:sexface:
        If you're going to get any LOTR versions, get the extended boxset. The movies have a longer running time but the added and extended scenes make it much richer. Plus the extras are excellent.

ReputationRep:
        LOTR, no question film wise. The HP main characters weren't and aren't real actors, they were chosen for looks and tbh it shows quite badly at times and they can be quite unconvincing. For books, I'd agree with people who say LOTR is a bit hard going but when you get into them there is so much more depth to them. However the HP books are a light read and just enjoyable so it's a draw on books for me.

(Original post by Gryffindor)
          Are you crazy obviously it's Harry Potter. Most successful film franchise ever is Harry Potter...not "LoTR". kk.
          :eyebrow:

It's not about money, y'know. Peter Jackson wasn't in it for the money.

ReputationRep:
          LOTR for both films and books
          • PS Helper
          • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
          Films = LOTR
          Books = I haven't got round to reading LOTR yet, so Harry Potter for me, plus I found the books captured me instantly =D

ReputationRep:
          The books of Tolkien simply aren't that relevant any more. We're not in wartime Britain any more, my food isn't rationed. I don't need to read pages about what the hobbits had for second breakfast while a fight is summed in a paragraph. The Potter books were perfectly accessible to me when growing up, and I will remember them forever. So the books win out for me.

In terms of films, there is no competition. A flawless, sumptuously produced trilogy versus a mismash of ideas and directors too hampered by the studio to practice their creativity?

ReputationRep:
          And now I shall be unsubscribing from this thread. Because after reading just a couple of posts I am dangerously close to losing faith in humanity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.