Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it absolutely necessary to take maths A-level if i want to do economics in uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    Thanks for your help.
    I just wish I knew more about how hard it's going to be. I'm able at maths, got an A* at gcse, but when I see the threads on here it's just like - woah. Hope I learn to understand it all.
    The feedback from most people is that the maths in an economics degree isn't going to blow your brains out or anything, it's just that the volume of it is higher than most people expect, and you need to be good at applying it in more complicated ways. Unfortunately the best way they can guess how good you are is to look at your A level results and when they don't ask for your module scores (eg. UCL, Warwick) that makes having FM even more beneficial.

If you find bits of A level maths hard, that's no worry. If you find the whole thing a struggle you might want to reconsider, but you got an A* at GCSE so you're clearly able.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to give you some advice, based on experience, if you really really really want to do economics at uni then take maths, at least to AS level. I dropped it after GCSE simply because there were other subjects I wanted to do more and now I regret it so much!! I'm in yr 13 and I'm doing S1 (Stats module) this year, just so I have some knowledge and also I thought it would help improve my application...

I've applied to do economics/philosophy type courses, and of the unis that do that the only ones I could find that did not require maths were Exeter, UEA, Newcastle, Sheffield, Nottingham, Cardiff (and York, but they were thinking of changing it so I'm not sure anymore)

Obviously it depends what uni you're hoping to go to... if you are looking to go to some of the top ones for Economics (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL etc.) then do take maths.

I applied to Exeter and they said 'maths preferred but not essential' - I'm predicted an A* in Economics and as rejected because I didn't do maths. Basically, if a uni which does not fully require maths A level was given
    Candidate A (taking maths A level) and Candidate B (not taking maths A level), all other things being equal they will normally choose candidate A. It's a bummer, but being rejected from your first choice uni just because you haven't done one subject isn't great either.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chasing_dreams)
    I'm going to give you some advice, based on experience, if you really really really want to do economics at uni then take maths, at least to AS level. I dropped it after GCSE simply because there were other subjects I wanted to do more and now I regret it so much!! I'm in yr 13 and I'm doing S1 (Stats module) this year, just so I have some knowledge and also I thought it would help improve my application...

I've applied to do economics/philosophy type courses, and of the unis that do that the only ones I could find that did not require maths were Exeter, UEA, Newcastle, Sheffield, Nottingham, Cardiff (and York, but they were thinking of changing it so I'm not sure anymore)

Obviously it depends what uni you're hoping to go to... if you are looking to go to some of the top ones for Economics (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL etc.) then do take maths.

I applied to Exeter and they said 'maths preferred but not essential' - I'm predicted an A* in Economics and as rejected because I didn't do maths. Basically, if a uni which does not fully require maths A level was given
    Candidate A (taking maths A level) and Candidate B (not taking maths A level), all other things being equal they will normally choose candidate A. It's a bummer, but being rejected from your first choice uni just because you haven't done one subject isn't great either.
    I'm very sorry to hear about your rejection, generally 70% of Econ students at Exeter have Maths A level so yeah it's definitely preferred. However if you really wanted to show you were serious do C1 and C2, S1 is no where near as useful as those. The reason behind this is one word 'Calculus' most of the standard mathematical economics will involve calculus, especially in microeconomics.

Good luck with the other applications, I think the fact you've taken up extra maths modules will show your dedication. I did the same and took up AS maths in my last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I'm very sorry to hear about your rejection, generally 70% of Econ students at Exeter have Maths A level so yeah it's definitely preferred. However if you really wanted to show you were serious do C1 and C2, S1 is no where near as useful as those. The reason behind this is one word 'Calculus' most of the standard mathematical economics will involve calculus, especially in microeconomics.

Good luck with the other applications, I think the fact you've taken up extra maths modules will show your dedication. I did the same and took up AS maths in my last year.
    Ah okay I didn't realise that, thanks. I've applied for philosophy and political economy at Exeter as well, which obviously isn't nearly as heavily economics based and I haven't heard anything from them yet. According to the website they do not require/prefer any particular subjects but do you know anything about this subjects view of maths? I know it's sort of 'run' by the philosophy department so I'm hoping!

I know, I should have taken AS maths really. I just think now it's probably too late to start? And it's not like I can email them and say 'oh by the way I've just started C1 so give me an offer'. If the fees weren't going up I'd definitely take a gap year. Just need to think things through really, and hope for my other course. I've got an offer for PPE at another uni and no other rejections so fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice though! I'd love to have done maths and been able to apply to Durham, Edinburgh etc. But what will be will be

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.