Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by frequent_flyer)
      I got in actually
      You should have seen my face. I nearly died. But then he started laughing and I assumed he was joking... glad my future tutor has a sense of humour, but wasn't really funny to me at the time!
      Congratulations! For what subject?

I do get what you mean, it definitely isn't funny at the time, but I guess it's something you could have a laugh over in the future.

I might try it. :ahee:

Seriously, that would've knocked my confidence down ten-fold.

ReputationRep:
      that can only be a good thing! I walked in and dropped something. My tutor laughed and said 'oops, there goes your place' :O

Oh also, well done on your offer!Q
      I didn't really feel it was a bad thing, mainly because the interviewer came across as incredibly friendly during the interview. I think it was just unexpected, although I was quietly relieved I wasn't given any ice breakers on my PS.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Noble.)
      I didn't really feel it was a bad thing, mainly because the interviewer came across as incredibly friendly during the interview. I think it was just unexpected, although I was quietly relieved I wasn't given any ice breakers on my PS.

Thanks
      Isn't it great to have a friendly interviewer? This also sounds like they were so excited to meet you they were impatient to start, which can only be a good thing. Also you know they're gonna be friendly when you get there

(Original post by im so academic)
      Congratulations! For what subject?

I do get what you mean, it definitely isn't funny at the time, but I guess it's something you could have a laugh over in the future.

I might try it. :ahee:

Seriously, that would've knocked my confidence down ten-fold.
      Thank you! Experimental Psychology- can't wait, never studied psychology before so it's going too be the biggest adventure!
      Well, I drop things constantly so it wasn't really a surprise :embarrassed:
      Also before actually asking me anything my interviewer gave me a spiel about the tutorial system so I had time to calm down a bit. Maybe he felt guilty and decided to be nice?

Thank you! Experimental Psychology- can't wait, never studied psychology before so it's going too be the biggest adventure!
        Well, I drop things constantly so it wasn't really a surprise :embarrassed:
        Also before actually asking me anything my interviewer gave me a spiel about the tutorial system so I had time to calm down a bit. Maybe he felt guilty and decided to be nice?
        Good luck! You're going to love it there!

Yeah, I guess after that "comment" he made, he was trying to be nice so you won't lose your nervous.

I predict he's going to be an amazing tutor for you. He sounds awesome. :p:

ReputationRep:
        Again another person offered a place at Oxford with little EC activities. In fact during the first 5 minutes of my interview I was told that there would no mention of my PS.

It's good to put some in so long as you relate it to your subject and how it will benefit your future studies.

The best thing in your interview is to accept that you will be nervous but try to keep your discussions going, a tutor will be unwilling to accept someone who they see as dull and can't contribute much.

Good luck =]

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        Good luck! You're going to love it there!

Yeah, I guess after that "comment" he made, he was trying to be nice so you won't lose your nervous.

I predict he's going to be an amazing tutor for you. He sounds awesome. :p:
        That's lovely of you to say, I hope so , the college was AMAZING during interviews. And have been literally drooling over Oxford in a seriously embarrassing fashion for years.

My tutor is so cool, he looks like a gigantic bird with thatchy hair and thick eyebrows *worship worship* Am starting to think this is going a bit off topic though...

so yes, in conclusion kids, being lead violin in the supertalented youth orchestra of the world isn't very much more likely to get you into oxbridge than being 'grade seven standard'

ReputationRep:
        Another person here with an offer and no real ECs. Only things I mentioned were related to Law - debating club, work exp., visiting courts etc. Never brought up in my interview! Obviously if you enjoy them and can keep a good balance then by all means keep them up but I wouldn't focus too much on them in your PS

That's lovely of you to say, I hope so , the college was AMAZING during interviews. And have been literally drooling over Oxford in a seriously embarrassing fashion for years.

My tutor is so cool, he looks like a gigantic bird with thatchy hair and thick eyebrows *worship worship* Am starting to think this is going a bit off topic though...

so yes, in conclusion kids, being lead violin in the supertalented youth orchestra of the world isn't very much more likely to get you into oxbridge than being 'grade seven standard'
          I'm taking this over to PM. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
          You are better off not being house captain. The best way to achieve is to be totally focussed on your subject - read, read more, and more, tell them about it in your PS and demonstrate your love of the subject. English is VERY competitive so be prepared to find four other unis you will be happy at, thaat way you take some pressure off. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by LancashireLass)
          You are better off not being house captain. The best way to achieve is to be totally focussed on your subject - read, read more, and more, tell them about it in your PS and demonstrate your love of the subject. English is VERY competitive so be prepared to find four other unis you will be happy at, thaat way you take some pressure off. Good luck!
          Thanks! I think I'd like to go for Oxford, Durham, St Andrew's, Leeds, and either UCL or Bristol, so all of my chosen universities are very competitive!

ReputationRep:
          that can only be a good thing! I walked in and dropped something. My tutor laughed and said 'oops, there goes your place' :O

Oh also, well done on your offer!Q
          You didn't happen to drop a fish, did you?

As for the OP -- they're more interested in EC activities that relate specifically to your course. I mentioned sports, teaching and other things in my PS, and all every interviewer wanted to know about was a single line I had written about shadowing an Consultant Anaesthetist for three days.

Fortunately or otherwise, they're looking for intelligent people who they think will thrive during the course, not for clever people who will be a great asset to the college sports team (although I doubt it doesn't help a little).

ReputationRep:
          BALLS. I was hoping to use this to my advantage. I have volunteered an absolute tonne (a full week like 4 times this year, at least once a month for a day, and used to do once or more every week), and do a fair bit of EC shtuff.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by SpeedyDesiato)
          You didn't happen to drop a fish, did you?

As for the OP -- they're more interested in EC activities that relate specifically to your course. I mentioned sports, teaching and other things in my PS, and all every interviewer wanted to know about was a single line I had written about shadowing an Consultant Anaesthetist for three days.

Fortunately or otherwise, they're looking for intelligent people who they think will thrive during the course, not for clever people who will be a great asset to the college sports team (although I doubt it doesn't help a little).
          Perhaps we can glean that having a fish to hand is more useful than a plethora of extra curriculars.

Well that's more than I got from my personal statement at interview! I assume you're a medic- how was yours?

ReputationRep:
          Short answer: they don't care about ECs.

ReputationRep:
          Perhaps we can glean that having a fish to hand is more useful than a plethora of extra curriculars.

Well that's more than I got from my personal statement at interview! I assume you're a medic- how was yours?
          A medic? Dear God no. Far too much like hard work! I'm actually hoping to read Human Sciences -- assuming I get 3As, I will be -- at St. Catherine's.

How was my interview? The most harrowing, nerve-wracking, spine-shattering experience of my life. I came out of it feeling that I'd performed utterly terribly, and that I might as well kiss my Oxford dream goodbye. These fears were compounded when I was asked back for a second interview with the same people, in order so that they could ask me more questions.

Still, I got an offer from them! I guess you must be doing medicine then?

ReputationRep:
          My unrelated hobbies weren't even mentioned in the interview (music, charities, positions of responsibility etc); subject-related experiences/activities (such as work experience, trips, visits etc) were, however, so I'd concentrate more on that

Everything is taken into account so there's no harm in doing it, but just make sure your personal statement is focused on your reading and love for the subject.

ReputationRep:
          Rather than all these pointless, unrelated extra-curricular activities, you'd be a million times better offer trying to convey your passion for your subject by reading into it much deeper. On my PS, I had about 2 lines worth of unrelated extra-curricular activities (and they weren't even that far off the bat for a mathematician, one was my job as computer technician, which is vaguely related to maths by logical thinking). The only thing on my PS that they asked about was my EPQ, which was mathematical and thus related. I was fortunately interested in something which wasn't so commonly studied for an EPQ, and only after about a week or two of studying it did I notice that it was undergrad stuff (which I'm guessing is a good way to bring across my passion).

Doing an uncommon EPQ is a lot more beneficial than the time you've spent doing these rather useless things. By all means, continue doing them if you're enjoying it but don't expect it to make a difference to your application for English. I'm assuming that you'd enjoy doing an English EPQ considering that you're applying to Oxford for the subject so you should definitely give that a shot. Other than that, make sure that you give yourself the best chance by getting straight As.

Other than that, remember that they're are equally interesting in how able you are in your subject. If you can convey passion AND ability then you're in with a good shout for a place. Even though I've applied to Cambridge, I'd assume that they'd be similar in some way in terms of what they are looking for. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by SpeedyDesiato)
          A medic? Dear God no. Far too much like hard work! I'm actually hoping to read Human Sciences -- assuming I get 3As, I will be -- at St. Catherine's.

How was my interview? The most harrowing, nerve-wracking, spine-shattering experience of my life. I came out of it feeling that I'd performed utterly terribly, and that I might as well kiss my Oxford dream goodbye. These fears were compounded when I was asked back for a second interview with the same people, in order so that they could ask me more questions.

Still, I got an offer from them! I guess you must be doing medicine then?
          Human Sciences? Wow, what IS that? St. catz is a beautiful college with great facilities, you're lucky! Hopefully I'll be just round the corner at Wadham.

Oh dear, that sounds completely awful, but most probably they decided you were one of the best candidates and tried to give you a difficult interview to see if you'd cope, which you did! They probably liked you so much they asked you back again.

Thankfully at least one of my interviewers was really friendly and made lots of jokes (Even if I was the butt of one of them...) so glad he's potentially my tutor!

:no: Experimental Psychology I only thought you were a medic because you worked with an anaesthetist. I hate chemistry with a passion and find the whole 'we are doctors and work extra hard for our degrees... and therefore superior to everyone else in the world ever' a bit creepy, so medicine was never really an option. Not that all doctors are like that, just the vast majority of the ones I've met. Sad really!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.