Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otilov)
    unless you dont know alot of people on BBM.
    Or you can just use SMS. You know, that thing that pretty much every mobile phone can do.

BlackBerrys are falling really far behind in terms of both hardware and software, but I still love mine purely for the fact you can easily hit 60 wpm on the keyboard. It doesn't lag or freeze like touchscreen keyboards do. If you want a social phone and not a toy, a BlackBerry is a good choice.

ReputationRep:
      My HTC Legend costs me £20 a month with 300 mins, Unlimted texts and 500MB of data
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      Well, I want to stay away from Windows anything because I know how bad they are under the bonnet, having seen the code. Also, I know someone who had a Windows phone, and it bluescreened several times a day, so no thanks. Maybe Symbian, looks better.

@jumpingjesusholycow: no. I want a phone. iPhone isn't a phone, it's a very, very expensive toy.
      The new Windows 7 OS is the most repsonive OS out there, under the hood it's probably the cleanest. Seriously don't confuse windows mobile with windows phone 7.

BB phones are med-low end, they have bad hardware and are rubbish as multimedia devices, this is the truth. There are good for email, calendar sync and other business related functions, and even so other OS's are catching up. With WP7 and its exchange support and Gmail integration with Android BB's are fast becoming known for what they truely are (in the general consumer subspace), a fad.

Get into a conversation with any BB user and ask them what makes BB so good. EVERY single one will say BBM first, when you ask for more, they will have nothing. Seriously try it.

ReputationRep:
      Simple answer to this thread:

If you call/text people abroad, or go abroad yourself quite often, then you you need BBM = SAVE MONEY

If you don't, then get another phone

ReputationRep:
      Nokia e72 is a pretty good phone, with a keyboard and better camera than on the BB Curve. However the main plus of having a blackberry is BBM so i'd say go for it if you've got lots of mates with BBs!

:nope:

(Original post by yoyo462001)
        The new Windows 7 OS is the most repsonive OS out there, under the hood it's probably the cleanest. Seriously don't confuse windows mobile with windows phone 7.

BB phones are med-low end, they have bad hardware and are rubbish as multimedia devices, this is the truth. There are good for email, calendar sync and other business related functions, and even so other OS's are catching up. With WP7 and its exchange support and Gmail integration with Android BB's are fast becoming known for what they truely are (in the general consumer subspace), a fad.

Get into a conversation with any BB user and ask them what makes BB so good. EVERY single one will say BBM first, when you ask for more, they will have nothing. Seriously try it.
        OK, so BlackBerry isn't right for me. I'll trust you on that. But I am not going to accept that there is a good version of Windows on any system. I know Windows of old, and it rolled majestically downhill after NT 4. Like I said, I've seen the code, and I know how clumsily things are done, and Microsoft have been like that since the beginning: ever seen the code for FDISK in MS-DOS 6? I'm sorry, but if a software house has even a single piece of production software whose source code comes bundled with an apology for not doing things properly, I'm not going to trust them to write software for any machines of mine.

TL;DR version: Windows of any sort is not an option, and never will be. So please stop suggesting it or trying to convince me that it won't break.

ReputationRep:
        I adore mine! I wasn't too sure when I got it, but now six months on and I wouldn't want to be without it! EVERYTHING comes to the same place- IM, BBM, Email, Text, MMS.. it fascinates me that it's even possible!

The internet is good too, and I use it a lot. Especially for Facebook

ReputationRep:
        Phone noob here. Just curious, BB works for abroad? Then I guess that's pretty awesome for international students ay?

(Original post by HayThereMardyBum)
          Phone noob here. Just curious, BB works for abroad? Then I guess that's pretty awesome for international students ay?
          Yeah BBM works internationally, but then so does PingChat.
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          OK, so BlackBerry isn't right for me. I'll trust you on that. But I am not going to accept that there is a good version of Windows on any system. I know Windows of old, and it rolled majestically downhill after NT 4. Like I said, I've seen the code, and I know how clumsily things are done, and Microsoft have been like that since the beginning: ever seen the code for FDISK in MS-DOS 6? I'm sorry, but if a software house has even a single piece of production software whose source code comes bundled with an apology for not doing things properly, I'm not going to trust them to write software for any machines of mine.

TL;DR version: Windows of any sort is not an option, and never will be. So please stop suggesting it or trying to convince me that it won't break.
          Im not trying to convince you to get a windows 7 phone but I'm trying to educate you on the market. Atm I think android and ios are the way to go but in a year or so WP7 will be very compelling.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by otilov)
          definetly, unless you dont know alot of people on BBM. You have a computer for super fast internet...phone is for staying social!
          yhh i agree blackberry is worth getting if ur friends hav blackberrys coz of bbm but if u want a nice new phone i wud go for the iphone if ur alright wiv the price of it

ReputationRep:

I will never use Windows again either!
          unreliable software.
          I just don't trust them as a company anymore.
          I don't like blackberry's so i can't form an opinion of them other than they're boring. xD
          I would just go to a phone shop and try out the phones, or watch reviews on the internet and come to your own conclusions.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by FXX)
          Yeah BBM works internationally, but then so does PingChat.
          Oh I see, though PingChat requires you to be constantly online no?

ReputationRep:
          is bbm free to use?

(Original post by HayThereMardyBum)
            Oh I see, though PingChat requires you to be constantly online no?
            In that you need a connection to a cellular network with an internet connection, yes, but so does BBM.

(Original post by bengalisoldier)
            is bbm free to use?
            You need the BB internet service which is normally included as the internet bundle if you get it on contract, but if not it costs around £5 a month.

ReputationRep:
            Blackberry is the worst "smartphone" on the market. It really is scary and shocking how some people who are seemigly normal and intelligent end up getting a blackberry phone just because theyve heard its "good" because a friend has one lol.

iphone, android, and windows phone 7 massively beat the blackberry in terms of speed, , apps, ease of use, camera, web browsing, social networking integration, and the most important thing, user interface. Picking up and using a blackberry phone is like using soething from 4 years ago, nasty, slow, cumbersome, dated, useless at pretty much everything except making calls and texting.

All reviews of the latest blackberry torch with its updated operating system say its a step in the right direction but still miles behind android and iOS.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Wenger)
            Simple answer to this thread:

If you call/text people abroad, or go abroad yourself quite often, then you you need BBM = SAVE MONEY

If you don't, then get another phone
            Again why the hype about BBM. Most phone contracts come with unlimited, or a large number of texts. Even PAYG deals can give you unlimited texts if you top up each month.

ReputationRep:
            He's saying BBM works internationally, with no added costs, I can't verify the correctness, but if it works that would be a very big bonus! Unlimited texts will never work abroad, you'll be charged outside the standard text prices, either to credit on the phone or to your contract, usually which can end up into massive bills

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.