Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What British people mean when they say "you right?" Watch

ReputationRep:
    It can mean either, depends on the tone of your voice. It's the same as "You alright?" it can mean a greeting or the literal meaning.

ReputationRep:
    When a person says that, they aren't actually saying 'you right', it does kind of sound like it, but they're actually saying 'Alright' or 'Y'alright'. A shortened version of 'Are you alright?' , which means 'How are you?'.
    I've a few times said to an American person 'Are you alright?' and gotten a reply along the lines of 'Yes, why wouldn't I be?' haha. Even when said clearly they don't seem to take it as me asking how they are, but rather as me questioning whether they have something wrong with them!

It is a shortened version of 'Are you alright?' but really, most of the time, the person just means 'hi', so you just say hi back, or 'alright' back, maybe with a little nod of the head, haha.

It hasn't replaced 'Hi', that is still used just as frequently. It seems to be mostly lads that use 'alright', girls do as well though.
    It's basically the same thing as when an American says "Sup", "Alright" is our version of that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.