Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Staying in hostels - have you ever had stuff stolen? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, you need to be careful in the hostel but you need to be equally careful while abroad anyway. Plenty of horror stories about people who have lost everything that was in their backpack. When I went to Quebec over the summer I split my money between a small amount I took out each day and the rest stayed locked in the room. It's just sensible.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed at a hostel in Berlin,in eastern area,near the Ostbahnhof and I didnt have anything stolen,which I am glad for,considering I saw a few dodgy characters around when I was there(i'm 16 and there were a few creepy 30 something german men who I found intimidating,but I stayed away from them lol)

We had card operated locks on our doors and lockers with security codes on them in our rooms aswell.But I have stayed in hostels worse than that where I was really worried for things being stolen.

ReputationRep:
    Never leave your kit lying around when there is a frenchman about! ....Bah!.... Once had €200 and about £150 of jordanian dinars pinched from my bag in Damascus by some unwashed bearded frenchie.

Apart from this i've never had any problems - had some great times in some real dives in far flung places.

A word of advice - go for the cheapie cheapie places - people tend to be more "interesting" and you avoid jolly ruger bugger/buggeress types on holiday courtesy of mummy and daddy (seems to be alot more of them about nowadays than a few years ago).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    I've been alright - tend not to take any valuable gadgets with me and guard my money and paper. My XGF was robbed in hawaii though, before I'd met her. she had her plane ticket stolen - pre 9/11, back then catching a plane was pretty much walk-on.

She reckons it was the hostel owner (
    I know it"s a ghost thread but this post is so BS, I feel compelled to respond. Plane tickets are personalised, they are completely useless to anyone but yourself. Unless ofc you are a master spy and can fake passports as well as appearance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.