Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mia_14)
    i am sorry. mistype
    Problem is, a and b are still dependant, or at least can be.

ReputationRep:
    i have couple more question is you can answer its
    1)
    What is the gradient (m) and intercept (c) for the straight line, 4y = 2x - 12 ?

2)Identify ALL of the following lines that are parallel with 2x + y - 4 = 0 .

1. 3y + 12 = -6x

2. y = 2x

3. 4 = 0.5y + x

4. y = 1 - 2x

5. y = 0.5x - 1

6. y = 2 - x

3)

Line (i) is perpendicular to y = 3x and passes through (0, 0)
    Line (ii) is perpendicular to y = 2x + 3 and passes through (2, -1)
    Line (iii) is perpendicular to 2x + y - 4 = 0 and passes through (3, 1)
    Line (iv) is perpendicular to 2x + 3y = 4 and passes through (5, -1)
    Line (v) is perpendicular to 4x - y + 1 = 0 and passes through (0, 6)

Matching pairs
    Line (i) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

Line (ii) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

Line (iii) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

Line (iv) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

Line (v) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Problem is, a and b are still dependant, or at least can be.
    tahts fine thank u so much

the thing is i am reallly ill and have to do this work before 12 nght or i am screwed . if you can help me do this work. all i can say .. your the best

ReputationRep:
    tahts fine thank u so much

the thing is i am reallly ill and have to do this work before 12 nght or i am screwed . if you can help me do this work. all i can say .. your the best
    Yeah... Sorry about that one, but something isn't coming across properly on TSR because there's no way that I can see to unravel that.

These, however...

1)
    What is the gradient (m) and intercept (c) for the straight line, 4y = 2x - 12 ?
    Imagine that is 3y = 6x + 9.

You know the general formula equation is y = mx + c, so how do you get 3y = 6x + 9 into this form?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You need the y to be by itself, so divide through by 3 to isolate it:
    (3y)/3 = (6x)/3 + (9/3)
    --> y = 2x + 3

Now just see what numbers match the position of m and c:
    m = 2
    c = 3

2)Identify ALL of the following lines that are parallel with 2x + y - 4 = 0 .

1. 3y + 12 = -6x

2. y = 2x

3. 4 = 0.5y + x

4. y = 1 - 2x

5. y = 0.5x - 1

6. y = 2 - x
    In the general graph equation, the m indicates gradient and c indicates where the lines crosses the y-axis. If two lines have the same gradient, they will be parallel; it doesn't matter where they cross the y-axis.

So this is a case of finding the gradients - you know how to do that ) - and seeing which ones are the same.

3)

Line (i) is perpendicular to y = 3x and passes through (0, 0)
    Line (ii) is perpendicular to y = 2x + 3 and passes through (2, -1)
    Line (iii) is perpendicular to 2x + y - 4 = 0 and passes through (3, 1)
    Line (iv) is perpendicular to 2x + 3y = 4 and passes through (5, -1)
    Line (v) is perpendicular to 4x - y + 1 = 0 and passes through (0, 6)

Matching pairs
    Line (i) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

Line (ii) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

Line (iii) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

Line (iv) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x

Line (v) - Select choice -y = 3x - 1x + 3y = 06 - y = xNone of the other answersy = -2x3x - 2y = 172y = -xx - 2y - 1 = 0x + 4y - 24 = 0y = -3x
    I have no idea what this is even asking, and the layout is very confusing - sorry, again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... Sorry about that one, but something isn't coming across properly on TSR because there's no way that I can see to unravel that.

These, however...

Imagine that is 3y = 6x + 9.

You know the general formula equation is y = mx + c, so how do you get 3y = 6x + 9 into this form?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You need the y to be by itself, so divide through by 3 to isolate it:
    (3y)/3 = (6x)/3 + (9/3)
    --> y = 2x + 3

Now just see what numbers match the position of m and c:
    m = 2
    c = 3

In the general graph equation, the m indicates gradient and c indicates where the lines crosses the y-axis. If two lines have the same gradient, they will be parallel; it doesn't matter where they cross the y-axis.

So this is a case of finding the gradients - you know how to do that ) - and seeing which ones are the same.

I have no idea what this is even asking, and the layout is very confusing - sorry, again.
    thank you for your help

i dont what you mean what u said about the second question.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your help

i dont what you mean what u said about the second question.
    The second question requires you to determine which lines are parallel. In order to be parallel, two lines must have the same equation. The m in y = mx + c determines gradient, so if two equations have the same value for m, they will be parallel.

ReputationRep:
    The second question requires you to determine which lines are parallel. In order to be parallel, two lines must have the same equation. The m in y = mx + c determines gradient, so if two equations have the same value for m, they will be parallel.
    this last one please. just explain to me and give them ansswer

ReputationRep:
    this last one please. just explain to me and give them ansswer
    Well, like I said before, won't give the answers because the idea is you learn what to do, not what the answer to just that question is. However, will give some hints to help you to learn.

Say you had an graph equation y = 7x - 8, so the gradient (how steep it is) is 7.

The line y = 7x + 3 would be parallel because its gradients match and therefore they have the same steepness. However, y = 4x + 2 would not because gradients are not the same - it has a gradient of 4.

The other way to check is to set them equal to one another and see if you can find an intersecting point; if you can, it's not parallel. If you can't, it is parallel.

y = 7x - 8
    y = 7x + 3
    --> 7x + 3 = 7x - 8

Can't be rearranged, you end up neutralising the x.

y = 7x - 8
    y = 4x + 2
    --> 4x + 2 = 7x - 8

3x = 10
    x = 3.33333

y = (7 x 3.33333) - 8 = 15.3

They will cross eventually, and therefore cannot be parallel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesownrose)
    well, like i said before, won't give the answers because the idea is you learn what to do, not what the answer to just that question is. However, will give some hints to help you to learn.

Say you had an graph equation y = 7x - 8, so the gradient (how steep it is) is 7.

The line y = 7x + 3 would be parallel because its gradients match and therefore they have the same steepness. However, y = 4x + 2 would not because gradients are not the same - it has a gradient of 4.

The other way to check is to set them equal to one another and see if you can find an intersecting point; if you can, it's not parallel. If you can't, it is parallel.

Y = 7x - 8
    y = 7x + 3
    --> 7x + 3 = 7x - 8

can't be rearranged, you end up neutralising the x.

Y = 7x - 8
    y = 4x + 2
    --> 4x + 2 = 7x - 8

3x = 10
    x = 3.33333

y = (7 x 3.33333) - 8 = 15.3

they will cross eventually, and therefore cannot be parallel.
    you are bestttttttttttttttttttted

lots love from here xxxx

merry xmas / happy hols

ReputationRep:
    you are bestttttttttttttttttttted

lots love from here xxxx

merry xmas / happy hols
    Merry Christmas yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.