Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Uni course should I do if i want to be a journalist Watch

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really matter. Though I guess doing something involving essays..? Though *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    A well respected London uni would be your best bet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Where is Oxbridge?
    Sorry my mistake...Oxbridge is actually a collective term for both Oxford (in Oxford) and Cambridge (in Cambridge), but me being me, I just refer to Oxford as Oxbridge :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachie22)
    thanks, i havent though about english a-level because i dislike the subject and also i have been told you don't have to have do english at uni to be a journalist. i know someone who did french and italian. i guess you just need to build up a portfolio of work experience and articles.
    I don't really get why you want to be a journalist if you won't even take Eng Lit A-Level, its the most closely linked subject..

Doing an essay based subject at university, like History or Politics would be sufficient to pursue journalism BUT still baffled by your dismissal of English.

ReputationRep:
    Anything respectable.

Not journalism.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    BA in Journalism perhaps? Isn't City University London asking for something ridiculous like A*AA because they have the best journalism course in the country?

ReputationRep:
    Go and study a traditional subject (Arts or Sciences it doesn't matter) at a top university and do as much media related work as possible when you get there i.e. student journalism, student radio, freelance, write for local paper and build up a portfolio. Then network like crazy. If you go to a London University you have no excuse not to network since there are so many events catering to young journalists. Expect to receive lots of rejections/knock backs and deterring messages about the state of the industry. Ignore them and continue to persist and build up your skill-set.

ReputationRep:
    journalism/english obviously.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of journalism do you want to go into? History or a politics-related degree would be really useful I reckon, a language would be good too, or English as others have said. You don't need to do an essay subject to become a journalist though - people go into journalism from science degrees, for example. It's far more about building up experience writing for publications as early as you can. You would fare best though doing a more traditional degree though, in general - not a degree that people may regard as a doss degree.

Oh, but don't do a Journalism degree. If you want to, do a journalism-related post grad, but as an undergraduate degree do something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menagerie)
    What kind of journalism do you want to go into? History or a politics-related degree would be really useful I reckon, a language would be good too, or English as others have said. You don't need to do an essay subject to become a journalist though - people go into journalism from science degrees, for example. It's far more about building up experience writing for publications as early as you can. You would fare best though doing a more traditional degree though, in general - not a degree that people may regard as a doss degree.

Oh, but don't do a Journalism degree. If you want to, do a journalism-related post grad, but as an undergraduate degree do something else.
    i was thinking definately french and geography or biology, but i already have some experience because i have had articles published. i guess u just have to build up a portfolio

ReputationRep:
    My friends who are journalists did, history, english, and one did Middle Eastern Studies

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.