Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anna Karenina is better IMO. Tolstoy isn't difficult to read though, it's just the length that makes it daunting. To be honest, I preferred Les Miserables, which is another epic comparable in size to War and Peace. I just prefer the writing of Hugo.

ReputationRep:
      I definitely intend to read it someday! It's sort of like a literary Everest. When I was about ten, I remember reading the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy in about three days and I don't know how I've lost that focus since I got older, I thought my concentration was meant to improve! Anyways, I'll probably try and go head-on during the holidays sometime though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by riotgrrl)
      I definitely intend to read it someday! It's sort of like a literary Everest. When I was about ten, I remember reading the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy in about three days and I don't know how I've lost that focus since I got older, I thought my concentration was meant to improve! Anyways, I'll probably try and go head-on during the holidays sometime though.
      :shock:

I find this really hard to believe.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ferrero Rocher)
      :shock:

I find this really hard to believe.
      It's true, I used to be a proper little nerd xD But like I said, somehow my concentration levels have got worse- blame the internet!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by maskofsanity)
      I think you have to have a really keen interest in history and war to appreciate this.. which I do not! I thoroughly enjoyed the philosophical aspects but as far as the classics go; this is one of few novels I do not rate as highly as others, purely because of the main subject matters.

It felt very similar to Dostoevsky's 'The Brothers Karamazov', i.e. many characters with numerous nicknames are introduced at the start and the plot weaves over a broad range of topics; expressed through appropriately chosen characters.

It's certainly a book you'll want to read on its own and preferably not in an extensive time frame; summer holidays perhaps?
      (I should finish War and peace within a few days)

_ _ _ _ _ _

I disagree. Myself having a very poor knowledge of this time period, I found the historical backdrop all the more complelling. Not that I think the historial context is what makes the novel.

This book really is an EPIC.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.