Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Yes, but if the application is meant to be blinded then it would be silly to allow students' place of study to be identified by using the letters no?
    well yeah it would be. wasn't me asking the question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Just a little point. Surely though your clinical aptitude is primarily gained from the clinical school you trained at (and obviously bettered in the FYs), but the basis is from your original institution. So in that regard, your argument implies that your choice of institution will in fact make a difference. :p: But I do see where you are coming from with the prizes and commitment to the specialty. That's also important.
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeell...yes and no, haha. I'd argue that the majority of the clinical skills you learn are in your allocated hospital on clinical placements, which at least to me seems separate from the actual medical school teaching me them (I still remember them trying to teach us venepuncture on a dummy arm...all i have to say to that is...yikes)...but you have a valid point

ReputationRep:
    Things that matter for post-graduate jobs (even for FY1 level):-

Audit
    Publications
    International/national presentations
    Demonstration of commitment to teaching

For CT1 and above:-

As above
    Plus progress in post-graduate exams.

Which medical school you graduated from is not in the list. (Incidentally that doesn't inherently mean that the medical school you attend doesn't matter as some may be better at facilitating the opportunities to achieve these things).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Things that matter for post-graduate jobs (even for FY1 level):-

Audit
    Publications
    International/national presentations
    Demonstration of commitment to teaching
    I was thinking about this the other day. Do these all have to be post graduation from your medical degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    I was thinking about this the other day. Do these all have to be post graduation from your medical degree?
    No, you can still use publications/presentations etc from your medical degree, but you should continue to try and get these things after graduation too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, you can still use publications/presentations etc from your medical degree, but you should continue to try and get these things after graduation too!
    I didn't mean from the undergrad degree, I meant before even applying to med school! Publishing in medical science but not clinical, although I have presented to clinicians internationally. Of course it's a continuing process though, I was just wondering if I'd get credit for stuff I'd done in a "previous life".

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean from the undergrad degree, I meant before even applying to med school! Publishing in medical science but not clinical, although I have presented to clinicians internationally. Of course it's a continuing process though, I was just wondering if I'd get credit for stuff I'd done in a "previous life".
    I believe so, certainly for foundation jobs, not 100% sure about higher up but don't see why not.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can refer to old work, but remember that the older it is, the less relevant it is to you.

ReputationRep:
    Some CT1/ST1 applications are also blinded when it cones to which medical school you went to. I personally don't think it has any influence, even if it did, a week spent doing an audit would be worth so much more that it's irrelevant anyway!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.