Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student revolts, police brutality, Jody Mcintyre... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    WTF are you on about? Police brutality? A few rioters get what was coming to them and now the police and the government are corrupt!

Try protesting in burma, then you'll see ****ing brutality!
    its very dangerous to start considering yourself lucky because you live in a country where you will not get gunned down for peaceful protest.

There were over a thousand people in that kettle on Thursday 9th and there is no proof that they were all being violent or even provocative.

and there are already many reasons to think the government are not democratic and in some respects seriously corrupt- the protests just bring a small aspect of that to some people's attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Not particularly. You're playing a game of 'blame the victim'. Police were provoked by missiles as well as violent students. There is no 'puppet master', so throw your nonsense elsewhere.

The politicisation of student sympathies have nothing to do with the issue. It's a simple case of police trying to minimise violence, and detain those responsible. If you encourage violence, then I have absolutely no sympathy, and I'm a student and a Liberal at that.

Moron.
    I'm not playing any games & I used the plural when referring to the puppet masters behind the public politicians. Nonsense? I don't think so; in fact if you bother educating yourself on the history of zionism and control over populations you will find otherwise Ash. The majority of the students were provoked to defend with items in their near vicinities otherwise they would have taken weapons to the majority peaceful protest. No I don't encourage violence I encourage justice and freedom of speech aside from blasphemy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flob)
    Martial law? Civil war?

Get some perspective.
    I have and suggest you get some as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auR4RumZEnQ

''Current events form future trends''- Gerald Celente.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Someone got punched by the police, someone got beaten very badly by the police, someone was denied medical treament by police, a protestor was dragged frm his wheel chair by police. Yes on their own these incidences are very much an outrage but considering that they appear to be the only instances of use of necessary violence from a protest that had 10s of thousands of people, I dont think it really constitutes the widespread "police brutality"or lack of ethics that you speak of. Its always a little patronising when people talk about oppressive nature of the police or government in this country and try and paint themselves as some sort of resistance fighters.

Where is this martial law that you speak of?
    This is the just the begining of martial law in England. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auR4RumZEnQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Nope.
    Wtch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auR4RumZEnQ

ReputationRep:
    If you've studied history you will know that it is cyclical. The world we live in is becoming ever more greedy and the only people who benefit are a very rich few. Sooner or later people will realise they're being exploited and will fight back, as has already started to happen. At some point this century we will have world war 3, whether that be civil wars or international wars, we simply cannot carry on the way we're going. Balance will be restored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)

No but seriously. Are police are brilliant, grow up, you should see how they deal with riots in other European countries.
    Very true but it is only going to get worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auR4RumZEnQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tesla1993)
    This is the just the begining of martial law in England. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auR4RumZEnQ
    No that is not Martial Law. All that video has done is bunch together a few incidences in order to make out that they represent something more than they are. That video is not supportive of your claim of martial law in this country, please read what martial law actually is. Yes, I am sure there was a tense atmosphere in the USA after 9/11 but it wasnt martial law and to say so is an insult to those who have had to live under it. I must say that any thing you say has already lost credibility in my eyes from the point where you said that once serious instance of police violence in a protest of tens of thousands constituted a widespread culture of police brutality. These arent student revolts, they are protests consisting of a mixture of students genuinley pissed off at how education is being treated, people up for a bit of violence and a bunch of hipster kids who think that burning a bench and spraying the word "****" on a wall is fighting some sort of injustice. Im pretty sure the rioters of Italy and Greece are looking at coverage of our one and laughing, especially at people like you who describe it as some sort of "revolt".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Seconded. You should take every story with a pinch of salt. Jody McIntyre is a not a student; he is a left-wing anti-government activist and freelance journalist. He describes himself as a "revolutionary freedom-fighter" and has given several anti-UK, anti-USA, anti-Israel, and pro-Palestine speeches.

Student fees are just an excuse for him and his sort to get involved in any anti-establishment confrontation."

He can, apparently, walk up to 100 yards unaided. He has an axe to grind and will deliberately 'set himself up' in this way in order to have a go at the police.

If you use Google, you can read his words about him being part of the rioting violent mob that stormed Millbank (albeit he puts a slightly different spin on it) being one of the rioters that reached the roof during that orgy of destruction.
    He has a right to be anti Israel, uk and USA. After all they fund the historicaly long masacare going on in Palestine. I am also anti Israel, i absolutely despise the place and the people governing and funding the place. You sound like you are for the supremecy of some and against equality for all.

WATCH THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnObt94TmE

ReputationRep:
    The majority of the students were provoked to defend with items in their near vicinities otherwise they would have taken weapons to the majority peaceful protest. No I don't encourage violence I encourage justice and freedom of speech aside from blasphemy.
    Justice and freedom of speech is not arming yourself and bashing a public servant with placard sticks and missiles and attempted homicide by throwing a fire extinguisher off a roof. You are nothing but a thug and that is why you have lost public support.

ReputationRep:
    He has a right to be anti Israel, uk and USA. After all they fund the historicaly long masacare going on in Palestine. I am also anti Israel, i absolutely despise the place and the people governing and funding the place. You sound like you are for the supremecy of some and against equality for all.

WATCH THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnObt94TmE
    Sure he does. He has the right to be anti-anything.

He does not have the right to climb onto private property and riot. He conducts himself as though he is not letting his disability get in the way of him, yet hides behind it when it makes him look like a martyr.

He was perfectly able to move himself (with or without wheelchair) when the police asked, like he was perfectly able to move himself up to the Millbank roof. I suppose that's his view of equality.

Why not hijack a peaceful protest on student fees to further his own anti establishment agenda?

In any case, since I am agaiinst violence, my opinions of Israel and Palestine are that they are equally as bad as each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    No that is not Martial Law. All that video has done is bunch together a few incidences in order to make out that they represent something more than they are. That video is not supportive of your claim of martial law in this country, please read what martial law actually is. Yes, I am sure there was a tense atmosphere in the USA after 9/11 but it wasnt martial law and to say so is an insult to those who have had to live under it. I must say that any thing you say has already lost credibility in my eyes from the point where you said that once serious instance of police violence in a protest of tens of thousands constituted a widespread culture of police brutality. These arent student revolts, they are protests consisting of a mixture of students genuinley pissed off at how education is being treated, people up for a bit of violence and a bunch of hipster kids who think that burning a bench and spraying the word "****" on a wall is fighting some sort of injustice. Im pretty sure the rioters of Italy and Greece are looking at coverage of our one and laughing, especially at people like you who describe it as some sort of "revolt".
    Look at the bigger picture, as Gerald Celente says: 'Current events form future trends.' Ever since 9/11 people have lost a significant amount of trust in government and international leaders. True i am talking of martial law in the lighter sense of the word, though i feel things are only going to get worse with the economic situation and as more and more people become desperate. This is going necessitate some harsh population control. No I’m pretty sure you will be seeing some more violent retaliation from the unemployed and students in 2011, if Gerald Celente says so it is very likely. Take a look at his damn track record, near perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Justice and freedom of speech is not arming yourself and bashing a public servant with placard sticks and missiles and attempted homicide by throwing a fire extinguisher off a roof. You are nothing but a thug and that is why you have lost public support.
    I never said that was justice, though it is certainly possible to ascertain the reasons people had for carrying out such actions. In circumstances of life and death these actions are just in my opinion, though I am not saying they existed in these student protests. I was not trying to canvass public support (nor do I need it), if I was I certainly wouldn't be doing it over TSR.

Thug? I never knew that was the term used to describe people with generally different views due to consideration of a broad range of information!

I guess 99% of people can now justly call each other thugs.

I hope you can forgive me for calling you a Moron earlier, regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Sure he does. He has the right to be anti-anything.

He does not have the right to climb onto private property and riot. He conducts himself as though he is not letting his disability get in the way of him, yet hides behind it when it makes him look like a martyr.

He doesn't really hide behind it more than he acknowledges it exists to hinder his efforts

He was perfectly able to move himself (with or without wheelchair) when the police asked, like he was perfectly able to move himself up to the Millbank roof. I suppose that's his view of equality.

Why not hijack a peaceful protest on student fees to further his own anti establishment agenda?

I think he was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, though his concern for equality in education for all students is of primary care in this protest imo

In any case, since I am against violence, my opinions of Israel and Palestine are that they are equally as bad as each other.
    No that’s illogical it’s like a fight between a harmless child with a toy gun and an evil mercenary with an m16, though it is conveyed very differently in big brother media.

ReputationRep:

He doesn't really hide behind it more than he acknowledges it exists to hinder his efforts.

I think he was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, though his concern for equality in education for all students is of primary care in this protest imo

No that’s illogical it’s like a fight between a harmless child with a toy gun and an evil mercenary with an m16, though it is conveyed very differently in big brother media.
    Well, it suited him to play up to the TV cameras of the police dragging him out of his wheelchair when he was perfectly capable of moving himself under his own power.

If you mean the type who'd like to kill two police with one fire extinguisher, then you might well be right. He has no concern for the students, just to further the anarchist anti establishment agenda, and whenever a large protest is organised, whatever it's objectives, the likes of him are there to stir up trouble - the irony is that they couldn't have done a better job of discrediting the cause of those to whom it really matters.

I suppose all those suicide bus bombs and rockets fired into Israel are made up then? I'm not trying to argue that Israel are not a belligerent party, but quite often it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

And to be fair, if you're running about with something that (whether close up or at a distance) looks like a weapon around soldiers that are expecting the locals to take pot shots at them, it's no surprise that they get shot. Yes, it's harsh, but it happens. I'd not be surprised if it had happened in Northern Ireland in the 80s and I'm not surprised it happens near a flashpoint like Israel/Palestine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowwdaisy)
    its very dangerous to start considering yourself lucky because you live in a country where you will not get gunned down for peaceful protest.

There were over a thousand people in that kettle on Thursday 9th and there is no proof that they were all being violent or even provocative.

and there are already many reasons to think the government are not democratic and in some respects seriously corrupt- the protests just bring a small aspect of that to some people's attention
    Undemocratic? Balls.

You only have to look at what happened at Millbank during the first protest when the police let the protesters protest without any intervention whatsoever, clearly it showed that they couldn't be trusted - I suppose it's the police's fault that it all kicked off then?

After that fiasco, it was obvious that the protesters were going to be kept under much stricter control, the police were clearly going to ensure that the same didn't happen again.

Even if the police hadn't been there, there were still plenty of people who turned up intent on criminal damage and rioting.

If you want someone to blame for getting everyone kettled, don't blame the police, blame the likes of Jody McIntyre and the rest who trashed Tory Party HQ in the first instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimme More)
    The police should step aside and let the students do what they have to do.

It will work wonders for the prospects of future generations in this country.

Otherwise, all I can see is Civil War.
    Why should students be above the law? Students broke the law with rioting, so the police stepped in, to stop it, thus protecting the innocent, and stopping damage to public property, students are NOT above the law, or more important than everyone else, how would you like it if the law stepped aside while your house got burgaled?

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, another hyped up conspiracy theorist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    Why should students be above the law? Students broke the law with rioting, so the police stepped in, to stop it, thus protecting the innocent, and stopping damage to public property, students are NOT above the law, or more important than everyone else, how would you like it if the law stepped aside while your house got burgaled?
    I think we can agree on the fact that the majority of violent people were not true students, rather yobbos looking to vent their anger. Students are not above the Law, though there should be freedom of speech etc without the police having to march at protestors on horseback. The root cause of these troubled times and violence is the invention of fiat currency anyways, even if there was a 10% gold standard to back the currencies that would give a heck of a lot more economic stability.

The damage to Millbank wasn't enough. The banks have broken enough laws, destroyed many people’s lives and deserve some rough justice and this certainly was nothing imo.

About the burglary: Preventative measures can make it pretty difficult to burgle a property, if I was ever confronted by a burglar in my residence they would not be leaving conscious for sure.

If the burglary was successful then with all major items insured I wouldn't be too bothered, more annoyed at myself if anything for lack of security.

ReputationRep:
    I think we can agree on the fact that the majority of violent people were not true students, rather yobbos looking to vent their anger. Students are not above the Law, though there should be freedom of speech etc without the police having to march at protestors on horseback. The root cause of these troubled times and violence is the invention of fiat currency anyways, even if there was a 10% gold standard to back the currencies that would give a heck of a lot more economic stability.

The damage to Millbank wasn't enough. The banks have broken enough laws, destroyed many people’s lives and deserve some rough justice and this certainly was nothing imo.

About the burglary: Preventative measures can make it pretty difficult to burgle a property, if I was ever confronted by a burglar in my residence they would not be leaving conscious for sure.

If the burglary was successful then with all major items insured I wouldn't be too bothered, more annoyed at myself if anything for lack of security.

Freedom of speech? Criminal damage is not freedom of speech, in this country, we have a right to protest, not to riot, the police did what needed to be done, it was always known that thier would be a riot, (since the previous protests it seems the students get all hyperactive and start being violent, but kids will be kids I guess), so to be honest, if the police stepped aside and let the students have thier little tantrum, damage public (TAXPAYER) property, attack royals, and damage war memorials, you can be sure that me and most of this country will be facing you with baseball bats

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.