Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    42! IT'S 42... oh damn, someone beat me =[ several people did =[

ReputationRep:
    To propogate our DNA and ensure not only the survival of our species, but the societal and technological development of it - or so says Darwinism.

In truth, there is no objective meaning of life. If you're going to get all philosophical about it.

In thousands of years, unless you discover/invent something truly amazing, you will have no legacy - you're going to be completely forgotten. Unless you're the next Shakespeare, Gauss or Newton, even your gravestone won't survive - in truth, unless the human race has completely wiped itself out, the extent of your legacy will be a couple of obsolete pieces of data stored on some hard drive somewhere.

You will never really achieve anything - we're all just a couple of sophisticated bags of water and minerals trying to make sense of things on a large rock orbitting a very uninteresting swirling ball of hot gas.

I hate to dish out advice that I don't follow, but here's what I've got to say about it - try not to make judgements about religion - take the most parsimonious explanation and believe that this life is all you've got. Live as if every day is your last and learn as if every day is your first. Try and detach yourself from the idea that you are special and look at things for what they truly are.

Only then will you have a truly fulfilling life.

The meaning of life? There isn't one.

So enjoy yourself.

That's my opinion, anyway.

P.S. I'm not a philosopher/evolutionary biologist; the extent of my qualification to speak about such a subject is my flicking through of a couple of layman's philosophy textbooks. Religion is by no means a lost cause for an answer for this difficult problem, but it certainly isn't a logically valid position.

ReputationRep:
    That's cheating.

Work it out yourself.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say on the whole we dont actually know if there is a meaning to life or not.
    we die from the moment we are created so what is the point?
    but we grow up and learn about this world: the people and creature living in it. if you think about it too much it seems to be a harsh place, people get treated unfairly and you see prejudice/discrimination. surely we can do something about this? surely we can sort out the apparent "mess" the world is in? but apparently not - Ghandi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant. But it's very important that you do it. the first part appears to be true, but the second part seems pointless - nonetheless even if it is just an insignificant effort to sort out "global warming" and reduce greenhouse gas emmissions, that little bit of effort might be worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    42. You got the question wrong

ReputationRep:
    To survive, pass on our genes, and then rot when we've served our purpose to nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    That's cheating.

Work it out yourself.

:rofl3:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.qurancomplex.org/Quran/Ta...&nAya=56#51_56

ReputationRep:
    Nobody knows for sure what the meaning of life is or why we are here. But given that we are all here, the choices and decisions that we make in our life should be based of what we think will maximise our own happiness AND everyone else's overall in the long term. In my opinion, this should be applied to any decision. We make a decision to do something if the overall benefits to everyone in the long term of the decision are greater than the overall costs to everyone in the long term.

There may be an afterlife and a God who cares about us, but there is no proof of either (that i know of) and so we just have to follow the guide above and just see what happens. Thats all there is to it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TruthJS)
    Discuss it.

Is the answer to be found in relationships, religion, quality of living or something else?
    Depends on who you are.

To be honest I don't think there is any real meaning, objectivley anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The thinker 69)
    Nobody knows for sure what the meaning of life is or why we are here. But given that we are all here, the choices and decisions that we make in our life should be based of what we think will maximise our own happiness AND everyone else's overall in the long term. In my opinion, this should be applied to any decision. We make a decision to do something if the overall benefits to everyone in the long term of the decision are greater than the overall costs to everyone in the long term.

There may be an afterlife and a God who cares about us, but there is no proof of either (that i know of) and so we just have to follow the guide above and just see what happens. Thats all there is to it really.
    This is a very intelligent answer. I like it.
    All effort should be aimed at the greater good.
    I think there must be a God. How can there not be?
    String theory doesn't make any sense to anyone who doesn't believe in it.
    And existence must have started somehow!

ReputationRep:
    There is no meaning. I personally don't understand why this bothers people.

ReputationRep:
    There's either no meaning or infinite meanings depending on how you look at it.

ReputationRep:
    The meaning of life is whatever you want it to be. The act of believing life has a meaning gives it meaning.

Yeah... I'm totally deep. Absurdism at it's best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    The meaning of life is whatever you want it to be. The act of believing life has a meaning gives it meaning.

Yeah... I'm totally deep. Absurdism at it's best.
    Therefore the meaning of life is to find truth and to then hold on to this truth and never let it go whilst simultaneously sharing this truth with as many people as possible - proving it to them.

ReputationRep:
    ah have offen been reckonin' about th' quesshun: "Whut in tarnations th' meanin' of life". Some varmints reckon love is th' meanin' of life, but it's jest, in mah mind, an illushun nature haf givin' yo' t'have sex an' reprodooce. An' we keep on reproducin' an' reproducin' junerashun af'er junerashun, but fo' whut? ah mean we develop an' acheive great thin's an' all but only fo' our own benefits. ah's sho'nuff thets whuffo' varmints inventet religion on account o' thar is no higher reason fo' life. Atheist like me hafta live fo' reasons like survivin', reproducin' an' gittin' th' bess outta life. Life is not simple an' easy. Yo' hafta hoof it through hard times an' wawk them out yo'seff. Eff'n jest we c'd jest live in a wo'ld wif no fear, no obligashuns, no wo'ries, no nothin' but pure happiness. Jest bein' in a eupho'iant state fo'evah an' evah doin' nothin' but partyin' an' havin' sex. Eff'n so we'dn't wonner whut th' meanin' of life was. Hope thar is a place like thet af'er death? This hyar is not a cornclushun of "whut th' meanin' of life" is, on account o' thar is none, it's indivijool, but yo' hafta live fo' sumpin o' else yo' simply kin't live.

ReputationRep:
    Therefore the meaning of life is to find truth and to then hold on to this truth and never let it go whilst simultaneously sharing this truth with as many people as possible - proving it to them.
    no

ReputationRep:
    No, it means everyone has their own personal meaning and they have no business trying to force their meaning onto someone else. As long as everyone is content in themselves then that's fine, there is no single universal 'truth' that applies to everyone. Meaning (and value) depends on perception, and perception is very much personal to each individual.

In essence: Whatever helps you sleep at night...

ReputationRep:
    Someone once said everyone has their own individual truth but how can this be?
    That we all believe whatever we want to believe... I think if this were so some people would be right and others would be wrong. Unless of course there are no absolutes. Perhaps some people believe in degrees of truth but certainely as we do not know what happens after death the search for this ultimate truth would be of paramount importance.

Infinite afterlifes? No this cannot be for what about the athiests who have demanded proof prior to believing? No God at all? Well how can existence exist...

ReputationRep:
    There is no meaning to life. We are a complex composition of matter. What you do now matters not and neither does what you do later.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.