Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buggery buggerbags... any help? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Didn't say it was easy.
    I'd say it's about as unlikely as the normal application route, though this depends slightly on what he is looking for and how strong the connections are. Best way to go forward is a masters for this guy. While getting a job without internship experience off of a MSc is still a task, I know that people have gotten interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    I know how easy it can be based on observing and emulating people who are successful in a number of fields. Your posts in this thread indicate a lack of self confidence, and that's probably what's holding you back from doing whatever it is you really want to do.
    That may or may not be my issue, but in the current market it's not easy. One guy from uni got onto a grad scheme through a personal contact (though to be fair he was probably almost competent enough to do so anyway, just needed the contact to push him over the edge), but plenty of others haven't been able to gain anything useful from contacts they made over the course of their internships.

For me personally, I've gone from having an offer to extend my internship and a "call us if you ever become interested in banking again" to "hiring freeze"

(though to be perfectly fair I am pushing for another team from the one I interned in and am not really being super proactive because I kind of like the thought of doing a MSc anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Apply for summer internships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Apply for summer internships.
    This. If you're in your final year tell 'em you're doing an MSc.

Way too late for that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
      That may or may not be my issue, but in the current market it's not easy. One guy from uni got onto a grad scheme through a personal contact (though to be fair he was probably almost competent enough to do so anyway, just needed the contact to push him over the edge), but plenty of others haven't been able to gain anything useful from contacts they made over the course of their internships.
      Who got onto a grad scheme??

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fblade)
      No one you know

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sammyrj)
      Thanks a lot. I don't want to keep bothering, but do you have any tips for specific internships? Which banks are offering decent 6-12 month ones?
      My brother went for an interview at Morgan & Stanley for an internship and hes a 2nd year in Cardiff doing business, so I'm sure you will be fine :-)

(Original post by natashapt)
        My brother went for an interview at Morgan & Stanley for an internship and hes a 2nd year in Cardiff doing business, so I'm sure you will be fine :-)
        80% bid ops.

(Original post by fblade)
          I know it's possible for people to get 'pushed' onto them.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.