Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New found respect for Russell Brand... Watch

ReputationRep:
    He does make some good points about the daily mail. And paxman makes some good points about the false sense of significance of a celebrity.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen his vids on Mark Collett (leader of Youth BNP)?
    Fantastic stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbAKUdEWzq8
    (it's in 3 10min parts, but well worth a watch if you're anti racism/bigotry/ etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuAndMma)
    By using the term "superfluous" as well as saying that it "really isn't necessary" your use of the term "superfluous" is actually superfluous.
    That is quite extremely true and correctly right.
    I'm such a tit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    See below, yes I agree he speaks very well. However, its not his silver tongue which impressed me but the actual things he was saying. If he had said them in much more simplistic terms, I would have still been impressed. Its the fact that he is actually very different from the usual media picture painted of him.
    Yeah, I can understand why you might think that, but what he says is not that deep or profound to be honest: it's the kind of thing that one would read in a pop psychology book. He just says it with gusto and dramatism -- which, considering he went to drama school, is understandable.

He's got charisma, but that's all: a symbol of modern life really.

(Original post by miranda-ae)
    That is quite extremely true and correctly right.
    I'm such a tit.
    Not really. You were using the one word, rather than three, for concision: there's a purpose to it. Brand just uses lots of incongruous long words to make the squirrel droppings that pass for his thoughts seem interesting.

ReputationRep:
    same
    that interview was something special

ReputationRep:
    Brand is fairly charismatic and articulate, I will give him that. Paxman also ought to be credited as a very capable interviewer, something increasingly rare in these days of aesthetically pleasing but let's face it, slack jawed idiots moronically questioning the 'celebrities' on what kind of biscuit they prefer.

I read his book and I didn't find it particularly well written. (Are celebrity autobiographies ever? :rolleyes:)

He has some merit as a comedian, however I think it's safe to say Socrates has nothing to worry about yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    He has some merit as a comedian, however I think it's safe to say Socrates has nothing to worry about yet.
    On that note, the one thing that I will say in his favour, is that he was very amiable towards the Youth BNP bloke in his Naziboy documentary posted above (at least at first), almost to the extent of Socratic irony, which was a nice way of going about it; that's an interpersonal skill more than anything though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuAndMma)
    By using the term "superfluous" as well as saying that it "really isn't necessary" your use of the term "superfluous" is actually superfluous.
    Well spotted. Hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    He can be funny when I can understand what he is saying. I hate him though because he has Katy Perry.

EDIT: I'm not sure what to make of him as a general person though. For all I know, most of it could be an act but I don't think I would get on with him (I'm sure he's gutted about that). I hope he (and Katy) stop mentioning his sexual past soon. Yes, he shagged many women and you apparently trust him 100%, we get it, however you two are both successful and don't need to rely on that to get attention.

ReputationRep:
    I have always felt that he has the potential to be an excellent celebrity commedian, but unfortunately he feels the need to do things like the Andrew Sachs incident, though god knows who he is trying to impress.

ReputationRep:
    He's deep.

ReputationRep:
    he's still incredibly annoying tho...

ReputationRep:
    There is no excuse for anyone who has ever seen his stand up or Ponderland not to realise that Russell Brand is:
    a) a genuinely really nice and thoughtful person.
    b) an erudite and intellectual person who can spot inconsistencies and hypocrisy with razor sharp precision. Very 'old fashioned' in that sense - that must annoy the heck out of people who think that they can pigeon hole him as some louche young upstart.
    c) and simultaneously a charismatic entertainer.

I have long said that he is, to all intents and purposes, the closest that we can hope for to a new Kenneth Williams. Pigeon holed for his campness by some, he is a complex person who may oddly appear ineffectually frothy to some but he is a keen wit and deeply serious person at heart.

There are other parallels too - neither has had the great education that many like to see in wits (Oxbridge etc). Therefore he will, unfairly, almost certainly never get universal acclaim for his use of vocabulary - he will be seen as above his station basically.

He made absolutely the right decision to move to America (as did Dudley Moore) where the class bound prejudices (and anti-intellectualism) that exist in Britain will not hinder him and where they will embrace his 'eccentricity' , confidence and appreciate his charm. LA is perfect for him. In some ways he is a Warhol like person - people have a certain image of him and erroneously do not move past that.

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail is vile but Brand's wife is a minger.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand the man. He acts and looks hideous and I don't find him remotely funny. The best thing he has got is Katy Perry!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.