The Student Room Group

American High school system.. help please :)

Scroll to see replies

From my understanding of it, Britain has a system in which grades 11 and 12 are more specialized?

That is not generally the case here. Some schools do track students, meaning that some students are college prep (meaning they take classes that most closely correlate to what they will need for college). Others take a lower track and just graduate. Some students do vocational training, but they also take high school classes while doing it.

If you are planning to go to college, you will probably be college prep, even if your high school does not do tracking. That means you will probably take mostly upper core classes.

In my high school, for college prep, we had to take at least three years (9-11) of English, and I think 3 of science and maybe three of history, as well as three or four of math. Anyway, you likely will have all of those. I don't remember which subjects we needed three and which we needed four.

At some point in high school you will need one fine arts (music, art) credit and one physical education (gym) credit. Each credit is a one year long class. Depending on your track and what you have already taken, you may or not may have an elective. It just depends on what else is required.

Most High Schools also offer "dual credit" classes such as writing and algebra which you can take in High School. Then you won't have to take them in college.

Are you going to college here in the U.S.?
Reply 21
OP: Having taken the SAT subject tests pretty recently, I can assure you that there is quite a bit of overlap between their content + A-level course content...if you're doing sciences and maths (can't say the same for the other subjects :/)

It is, however, worth looking at a site like Sparknotes - had I not done that, I would've been screwed. (Okay, more so because I had just started my A2 when I took the test - so teacher hasn't covered everything; but even so!)

In any case, though, most good colleges in the US see loads of applications from UK students who have done the A-level instead of the normal US high school curriculum, as long as they've taken the required standardized tests.

Just my two pence. :smile:
Original post by EskimoJo
:lolwut:

Haha oops I saw it in some BMAT revision papers and I looked it up...I guess it's an old-fashioned way of spelling "connection"? Must be more obscure than I thought. Whoops, sorry! Still, it's funny how some British English and American English words hath no connexion. :tongue:

Apologies for any clueless American behavio(u)r! :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by Clementiney921
Haha oops I saw it in some BMAT revision papers and I looked it up...I guess it's an old-fashioned way of spelling "connection"? Must be more obscure than I thought. Whoops, sorry! Still, it's funny how some British English and American English words hath no connexion. :tongue:

We're not all like this, right? :wink:
Just wanted to chime in and say I graduated from high school a few years ago, so I'm happy to answer any specific questions! Everyone else has done a great job so far!
At my high school we have to take 4 years of math (algebra, geometry, algebra II and pre-Calculus), 4 years of science (biology, chemistry, physics, and a 4th year science of your choosing), 4 years of history (world geography, world history, US history, and your 4th year you take government and economics), and 4 years of English classes. Also, you must have 3 years of a foreign language, 4 electives, 1 year of physical education, 1 year of technology, 1 year of art, half a year of health and half a year of speech.
I think that is pretty standard for a US school.
^Seconded, sounds familiar!
Original post by carolinealyece
At my high school we have to take 4 years of math (algebra, geometry, algebra II and pre-Calculus), 4 years of science (biology, chemistry, physics, and a 4th year science of your choosing), 4 years of history (world geography, world history, US history, and your 4th year you take government and economics), and 4 years of English classes. Also, you must have 3 years of a foreign language, 4 electives, 1 year of physical education, 1 year of technology, 1 year of art, half a year of health and half a year of speech.
I think that is pretty standard for a US school.

could you have say more years of art?
or is it strictly one?
because that would piss me off.
Original post by DesignFreak
or is it strictly one?

No, you can take up to 4 years of art. It's just that everyone has to take at least one year of an art related course.
Original post by Nizzay!
I wish I went to school in America. The typical high school jocks, the cheerleaders, own lockers, american football and basketball etc.

As you can tell I been watching too many of those american teen dramas lol

Why? It's awful. I spent a significant proportion of my high school education watching Disney Pixar films in lessons and copying chapters out of textbooks.

I did **** all but still managed to get on the honour roll every year.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Clementiney921

It went out of use in the 19th century :colone:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Why? It's awful. I spent a significant proportion of my high school education watching Disney Pixar films in lessons and copying chapters out of textbooks.

I could argue the same about school here in the UK too (except in my case it was Peep Show and not Disney Pixar) - but one persons reflection is hardly indicative of the wider populous now is it :rolleyes:
Reply 32

High school is a joke. I think I learned more in 8th grade than I did in 9th-11th grade. And I've taken AP's, Honors, etc. all that crap.
Reply 33
Original post by DesignFreak
or is it strictly one?

The artsy kids at my HS usually have 4 years of art. Sometimes they double block art. Which means they take two art subjects per year instead of just one (i.e taking ceramics and studio art). Plus those who do 4 years of art, tend to also do 4 years of drama.

It sounds like you just went to a ****ty school. I go to public high school in the US and I've never watched a disney film in class and it is actually school policy that all films have to be approved by the district to meet educational standards and we are not allowed to watch a film for more than 20 mins in a class period.
Original post by adam0311
We're not all like this, right? :wink:

For your sake, and for the sake of others out there, I sure hope not...:colondollar:
Original post by adam0311
High school is a joke. I think I learned more in 8th grade than I did in 9th-11th grade. And I've taken AP's, Honors, etc. all that crap.

True, just graduating (doing the minimum) is a joke. Yeah, AP's and honors classes vary in difficulty depending on where you go, but it really isn't that hard!
So basically, Americans are doing GCSE level work while we're in 6th form? :lolwut:

Well that certainly answers a few questions...
GCSEs are equivalent to a US GED. A Levels are issued as extra credit (AP). This varies by college but mostly, a 5 GCSEs will count as US high school.
Original post by Barden
So basically, Americans are doing GCSE level work while we're in 6th form? :lolwut:

No, they don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending