Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mac users: Office for mac or iwork? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I use iWork 09 to write all of my essays and any presentations.

I did however also buy Office for Mac 2010 as we often get given .doc and .ppt files that would not render properly in other software packages.

So, really, while I now prefer iWork, I still have Office for Mac installed to open documents I am sent.

ReputationRep:
    Office 2011 seems much better than 2008 or even 2004. However, I still use Keynote for presentations, as it blows PowerPoint out of the water. Excel however is far superior to Numbers. And for word processing, I use LaTeX/TeXShop because Word sucks and Pages sucks even more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasp)
    Office 2011 seems much better than 2008 or even 2004. However, I still use Keynote for presentations, as it blows PowerPoint out of the water. Excel however is far superior to Numbers. And for word processing, I use LaTeX/TeXShop because Word sucks and Pages sucks even more!

Never heard of that! is it free?

ReputationRep:
    Never bothered with iWork - Office was only £30 and at least you don't have to worry about compatibility, but can't really say much as I haven't used both options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    Never heard of that! is it free?
    TeXShop is totally free! http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/ (that's the Mac version, there are others for Windows, for those who are interested)

Be warned though there's virtually no user interface like Word and is not a WYSIWYG editor ("what you see is what you get" - when you format something in bold, you see it in bold on the screen, in LaTeX you just see the bold code, similar to HTML). There is a learning curve to get used to it, but it produces far superior looking reports to Word, especially if you're doing a lot of mathematical equations. Its referencing system is also vastly superior to Word, so is great for dissertations, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say download the iWork trial, see what its like, and if you don't like it then get Office

ReputationRep:
    office for mac, saves you a lot of grief if stuff doesn't work

software4students

two licenses for 40 quid so chip in with a mate and you can get a copy for 20 quid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    iWork for Mac as its faster.

Then a special version of Office for Windows in Bootcamp for compatibility.

I also have special versions of Adobe CS5 Master Collection for Windows Really good - Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Photoshop, Soundbooth and so on.

Also have Photoshop Portable, iWork Portable & FrontPage Portable.

I also have a special version of Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 64bit on my hard drive of special stuff for university.

Spoiler:
    Show
    special = 01100011011100100110000101100011 01101011011001010110010000101111 01100100011011110111011101101110 01101100011011110110000101100100 01100101011001000010111101110100 01101111011100100111001001100101 0110111001110100

You need to read binary to understand what special means

I love all these freebies especially because they are all virus free All my good research saved me thousands.
    There any reason you are using the Windows versions of CS5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    There any reason you are using the Windows versions of CS5?
    yes because I'm using it on a Windows 7 64 bit machine with 8gb ram - iLove Power

I only use office in the virtual machine sorry, not bootcamp, I use parallels.

ReputationRep:
    yes because I'm using it on a Windows 7 64 bit machine with 8gb ram - iLove Power

I only use office in the virtual machine sorry, not bootcamp, I use parallels.
    NICE!
    i have 8GB of RAM in my Macbook Pro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    NICE!
    i have 8GB of RAM in my Macbook Pro.
    I'll be getting 8gb as well in my MBP when I go to university

How does it run? I'd like to get a user opinion beforehand.

I'll be purchasing it with 4gb but then getting 8gb ram from Crucial.

Apples ram is way too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be getting 8gb as well in my MBP when I go to university

How does it run? I'd like to get a user opinion beforehand.

I'll be purchasing it with 4gb but then getting 8gb ram from Crucial.

Apples ram is way too expensive.
    I got mine from Crucial as well! I agree with apple being expensive.
    4GB would of been sufficient for me, but i couldn't help getting the 8GB, it runs brilliantly, easy to install also and i'm **** with technology and a girl :P
    if you have the money for 8GB it's worth buying it as the extra power does help especially when multi-tasking with different intensive applications (photoshop, final cut etc).

DDR3 has become cheaper recently so it's definitely the right time to buy it, a few months ago i remember it being £400 for 8GB of ram :eek:

ReputationRep:
    bit of both iworks for everything other than number then its excel as so many more tutorial etc to get things done than for numbers.
    Wish i could get iworks on my windows laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    I got mine from Crucial as well! I agree with apple being expensive.
    4GB would of been sufficient for me, but i couldn't help getting the 8GB, it runs brilliantly, easy to install also and i'm **** with technology and a girl :P

Don't underestimate the power of a girl + technology

if you have the money for 8GB it's worth buying it as the extra power does help especially when multi-tasking with different intensive applications (photoshop, final cut etc).

I use a lot of these programs - Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator and so on for vector images and website creation + I use CAD. 8gb ram is definitely worthwhile for me.

DDR3 has become cheaper recently so it's definitely the right time to buy it, a few months ago i remember it being £400 for 8GB of ram :eek:
    Yeah its quite cheap on crucial yet Apple want £275 for it which is a bit of a joke.

It costs £96.34 on crucial and its easy enough, as you've said, to install.

I might even get a SSD once they drop in price.

£238.51 for a 128GB SSD from Crucial.

So the total of both the SSD & Ram is roughly £334.

At Apple it would cost an extra £275 just for the extra RAM, and I heard the RAM Apple use is not that good anyway. I'd rather pay the extra £59 and have a SSD as well, plus if anything ever goes wrong with them then I still got the original hard drive and the original 4gb ram.

Apples prices on extras are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    bit of both iworks for everything other than number then its excel as so many more tutorial etc to get things done than for numbers.
    Wish i could get iworks on my windows laptop
    You can but its illegal.

Spoiler:
    Show
    convert your Windows Laptop into a Hackintosh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its quite cheap on crucial yet Apple want £275 for it which is a bit of a joke.

It costs £96.34 on crucial and its easy enough, as you've said, to install.

I might even get a SSD once they drop in price.

£238.51 for a 128GB SSD from Crucial.

So the total of both the SSD & Ram is roughly £334.

At Apple it would cost an extra £275 just for the extra RAM, and I heard the RAM Apple use is not that good anyway. I'd rather pay the extra £59 and have a SSD as well, plus if anything ever goes wrong with them then I still got the original hard drive and the original 4gb ram.

Apples prices on extras are a joke.
    Getting the SSD is well worth it at that price. I'm looking at getting one soon when the price drops a bit more!

One bit of advice i will give you if you ever have to send your Macbook back to Apple for whatever reason is to swap the SSD for the original HDD as i've heard stories of Apple technicians taking out the SSD in Macbooks and replacing them back with a HDD and claiming that the SSD in your machine is broken, i've only heard it a few times and i'm struggling to find the thread on Mac Rumours about it.
    it could possible be some dickish technicians though probably nothing to worry about that much.

You can but its illegal.

Spoiler:
      Show
      It's against the EULA. It isn't illegal if you buy a copy of OS X from Apple.

ReputationRep:
      You can but its illegal.

Spoiler:
      Show
      too much hassel really, looking to get a ipad to use as a netbook

ReputationRep:
      Depends entirely on how picky you want to be. I write my non-scientific assignments in iWork's Pages, which does the job nicely. As long as you type most of your documents on your Mac and then simply print out, it's more than sufficient and Word offers no extras. Obviously, if you want to view your documents on a Windows PC just print the document as a PDF and you'll be fine.

In terms of numerical stuff, Excel seems to be the package of choice still but Numbers is pretty damn good. Equally - this depends entirely on what you're using it for.

Also - Keynote, as far as I'm concerned, has the edge over PowerPoint.

ReputationRep:
      You can but its illegal.

Spoiler:
      Show
      As already said, its not really illegal.
      Just against the User Agreement.
      But I agree with whats been said - its too much hassle. If you are building a desktop, then you can make sure you get specific parts that are known to work well. But with a laptop you generally get too many issues.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.