Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to deal with flatmates who refuse to clean up Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoujin)
    (Un)fortunately, we have en suite toilets and showers, so can't really go for that one, but good idea though
    In that case, a big pile outside her door is the best you can do. If she just walks around it/over it, leave the bin bag open and prop it against her door so when it opens it falls out all over her floor.

I feel like kind of a bad person for suggesting stuff like this, but she is seriously asking for it at this point!

ReputationRep:
    WOW.

ReputationRep:
    You could just offer her another chore, such as cleaning the kitchen and showing her how its done first few times. It's not so bad, and at least she would be doing something. Then you won't feel so bad about taking the bins out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyoujin)
    Are you in halls? In which case, is there someone like a residential adviser you could ask to talk to her (ie. make her do it).

Is there a spare cupboard in your kitchen? In ours we chuck everything that hasn't been washed up for a few days in the cupboard under the sink. It doesn't get washed up, but at least it isn't in everyone's way.

(Original post by hothedgehog)
    Throw anything in the fridge of hers which is past its sell by date into the bin. If she complains then tell her it's not fair on you to have mouldy food in the fridge where you keep your food too and that if she keeps food in there that is mouldy or past its sell by date then you will keep throwing it away.
    This is a bit harsh. Whilst having something very mouldy in the fridge might start affecting your food, something that is a couple of days past it's sell by date, and clearly still edible, will not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steadyg)
    You could just offer her another chore, such as cleaning the kitchen and showing her how its done first few times. It's not so bad, and at least she would be doing something. Then you won't feel so bad about taking the bins out
    Sorry, but people who are going to university aren't such complete retards that they don't know how to clean.

They're either people that recognise that their behaviour has an effect on those in close proximity to them and if it's causing those people bother, to modify it appropriately, or lazy, socially inept cretins that don't give a crap about other people.

ReputationRep:
    Get some of the mouldy stuff and hide it in her room, preferably crack a couple of eggs in there to liven things up. Laugh when she starts to complain about her room smelling bad.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    put the mouldy stuff outside her door or (if you can get to it) under her bed thatll make her tidy it! while youre at it, dump all her dishes and the chores she hasnt done outside her door then tell her you were just bringing the chores closer to her to make it easier for her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Sorry, but people who are going to university aren't such complete retards that they don't know how to clean.

They're either people that recognise that their behaviour has an effect on those in close proximity to them and if it's causing those people bother, to modify it appropriately, or lazy, socially inept cretins that don't give a crap about other people.
    Well no, that's missing the point. I've not said anyone doesn't know how to clean. I'm guessing if she never cleans then the standard may not be the same as that of the OP and rest of the flat, so by showing her how you would clean you avoid being disappointed in her efforts.

It could be all about preference so, in the same respect someone would be so pissed off they would chuck rubbish over someone's bed, someone would be so against taking out bins they would just never do it. But then cleaning the kitchen may be easier and at least you're contributing rather than being a nuisance.

I'm not saying who's right or wrong, but if you don't want a black eye for pouring rubbish on someone's bed (which I would personally go for) then you gotta look at other options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    This is a bit harsh. Whilst having something very mouldy in the fridge might start affecting your food, something that is a couple of days past it's sell by date, and clearly still edible, will not.
    Yeah, I personally don't throw food out on the sell by date but in this case it's a point of giving a cut off date which you and they can both know. Messy inconsiderate housemates are the worst.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, come back a few hours later and two pages of replies already! I forgot how busy H&R was.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'm heading home for the holidays now so we'll see what it's like when I get back. We usually keep our rooms locked if we're not in them so I guess it's gonna have to be leave the binbags outside her door (though not that keen on this as like I said it's doing half the job for her).

(Original post by fantasystar38)
    At my old flat if stuff got left too long then we'd just put the dirty plates and **** back into their cupboards on top of their clean ones
    Definitely like this idea though, gonna start doing this as soon as I get back

(Original post by marcusfox)
    Sorry mate - if you've tried talking to her and she won't come in line, then there's nothing you can do, short of getting the landlord to throw her out. And if you do that, you'll need to find someone to replace her or you'll be paying her rent.

I have ample experience in this with many housemates - You think that's bad - I have just moved out of a place where one of the tenants used to get drunk every weekend and piss and **** and vomit all over the bathroom whenever he used it - I just stopped paying my rent, the landlord knew he'd get screwed unless he let me go quickly - no court in the land is going to hold you to your contract if you have a number of different pictures of a fat, naked 40 year old guy, passed out in his own filth in your bathroom, each with a Metro paper to provide date evidence and some sense of decency.

Living with other people is a gamble, pure and simple, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. I think even though some have been pretty ****, I'm winning so far. If you think you're losing, search on here for "rotting rat soup" (including quotes).

Or you could just do what one of my flatmates did with a bin that a housemate refused to empty - he emptied it into his bed.
    Wowww, I'm so glad I'm getting a house with people I've known for years next year (wanted to do the student halls experience this year - the gamble of who you end up living with is NOT worth it). I thought it was frustrating living with this girl, I can't imagine what putting up with that must have been like. Hope you've got a better deal now?

Cheers again everyone,

T

ReputationRep:
    Just **** all her dishes in the bin.
    Put the bin by her door.
    Then lol to yourself as she throws her own dishes out.

ReputationRep:
    haha im my flat we'll just shout "who's **** is this ?! Clean it up already" but that's because we all get on well and don't take offense.

If I was in your boat i'd write them a note and if they didn't respond i'd chuck their crap in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I have a similar problem. My flatmates refuse to clean up their stuff and I have actually cleaned the WHOLE kitchen... I mean ALL of it myself before. Three times. I have photos. The kitchen never looked so beautiful. The funny thing is, one of my flatmates was lying on the couch with his laptop while I was doing it all, and despite subtle hints and allusions, it didn't really 'click' that I needed/wanted help. So today the cleaners, who are only obliged to clean our bathrooms, kitchen surfaces/cookers and floors, refused to clean our flat (for like, the third time). If we don't clean it by 10am tomorrow we have to pay for the cleaners to do it. And to be honest, noone wants to pay, but also noone really seems to even be thinking about cleaning. Since I am out of our flat at 8 every morning, there is no way that I will be able to clean it up anyway, so I just decided to give up. It seriously makes me sick to come home everyday after uni, feeling tired and hungry, only to find out that someone used all my cutlery/pans (because their stuff is dirty) and I can't make myself food. Fortunately, we break up for Christmas soon and I will be able to rest in my clean, lovely smelling family home, but it's just depressing to think that I'll come back to a huge mess in January

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voldenfelden)
    Actually I have a similar problem. My flatmates refuse to clean up their stuff and I have actually cleaned the WHOLE kitchen... I mean ALL of it myself before. Three times. I have photos. The kitchen never looked so beautiful. The funny thing is, one of my flatmates was lying on the couch with his laptop while I was doing it all, and despite subtle hints and allusions, it didn't really 'click' that I needed/wanted help. So today the cleaners, who are only obliged to clean our bathrooms, kitchen surfaces/cookers and floors, refused to clean our flat (for like, the third time). If we don't clean it by 10am tomorrow we have to pay for the cleaners to do it. And to be honest, noone wants to pay, but also noone really seems to even be thinking about cleaning. Since I am out of our flat at 8 every morning, there is no way that I will be able to clean it up anyway, so I just decided to give up. It seriously makes me sick to come home everyday after uni, feeling tired and hungry, only to find out that someone used all my cutlery/pans (because their stuff is dirty) and I can't make myself food. Fortunately, we break up for Christmas soon and I will be able to rest in my clean, lovely smelling family home, but it's just depressing to think that I'll come back to a huge mess in January
    It is rubbish - especially if you have long hours! - I know that pain!

The only thing in this situation is to keep your cutlery, plates and pans in your room so only you can use them.

Petty yes - but then you won't have to worry when you get in - you can get your dinner on

Note to self - don't live with them again!

ReputationRep:
    Toss the dishes out of the window

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.