Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why isn't Wenger under any real pressure to deliver trophies? watch

The football might be attractive, but when it does you no good, it can get a bit annoying. It may win over a few fans, and get you kicked around by Stoke but things need to be changed if Arsenal really want to win something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slawaccess23)
    lol, nice response. I agree it's suicidal for 10 men to even think about playing properly in Barca, but two lines of defensive in front of the penalty box isn't everyone's cup of tea. It was entertaining to see how Barca would try to get through the brick walls though, good show of defensive strength.
    Yea it was a good game with the best defence vs best attacking teams in europe. I think if Wenger doesn't deliver a major trophy within 2-3 years he might walk away himself. I don't see him getting sacked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    It's that he coaches a punch of pussies who can't rough it, or at least doesn't teach them how to rough it.
    A bit harsh? I agree, they need to get into teams harder, but then again, if you teach a team to keep the ball, they won't have to worry much about trying to get it back. I think against Man city, Arsenal showed they generally didn't need the defensive discipline City had in order to control the play. Even though City roughed up Chelsea, who are probably the strongest side in the league.

ReputationRep:
    Because Wenger is an absolute legend. His tactics and squad selection, based on complex statistical analysis, have changed the way managers manage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    I don't see him getting sacked.
    Me neither tbh.

ReputationRep:
    A bit harsh? I agree, they need to get into teams harder, but then again, if you teach a team to keep the ball, they won't have to worry much about trying to get it back. I think against Man city, Arsenal showed they generally didn't need the defensive discipline City had in order to control the play. Even though City roughed up Chelsea, who are probably the strongest side in the league.
    I think he means when for example stoke play arsenal the players don't seem to know how to counter their aggressiveness and basically get pushed all other the place. When a team comes to rough up and defend rather than play is when arsenal fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrappy-coco)
    I think he means when for example stoke play arsenal the players don't seem to know how to counter their aggressiveness and basically get pushed all other the place. When a team comes to rough up and defend rather than play is when arsenal fail
    I guess yes. There are some really rough sides out there who have nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, he will win us something this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    Its a good question which I have wondered about too. His stubborness of fielding young players without buying big names (whether the money has been there or not) has failed for the last 5+ years. Any other manager would of been sacked a long time ago, so its a strange one.
    Not when the shareholders are making big bucks due to the lack of transfer investment and continuous top four finishes. If he failed to get into the top four, it'd start hurting them financially and then Wenger may be under more pressure, same applies if he had spent a lot in the transfer windows. Currently he doesn't so none of the shareholders really care.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the trophy drought is gonna end with success in the carling cup but we have lost so many careless points this season (e.g vs spurs) and I can't see us progressing in the champion's league. Wenger's job is safe because of his past achievements but I think it's right to question his transfer policy- losing Hleb and Flamini was a mistake on Wenger's behalf, Henry has yet to be replaced and we are missing the leadership of Vieira. The latter two players were also sold on the cheap- Vieira could have been sold a year earlier to Real for £30M (went for £12.5M) and likewise Henry to Barca for £35M (went for £16.5M).

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal has had plenty of chances to win something since 2005. The biggest opportunity was in 2008, and after Eduardo got injured, the team pussied out and lost the league after leading it for much of the season. Arsene had the ability then to instill some balls in the team, and had they had some they would have won the league that season.

ReputationRep:
    He is under pressure to deliver trophies. But I could be under pressure and be well up for fighting David Haye, truth is he'd batter the absolute crap out of me. It's easier said than done. His more positive attitude towards the Carling Cup this year was a surprise.

(Original post by Christien)
    The holier-than-thou attitude belonging to Wenger and Arsenal fans in general is a constant annoyance. Wish they could transfer the silence of Highbury and the Emirates to their general lives tbh. :teehee:
    Wenger maybe, but making out Arsenal fans in general are the same? That's asinine.

The supporters know it's a results business just as well as anyone.

Knock the home support as much as you want, it's a poor atmosphere. The away fans however are always in great voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Not when the shareholders are making big bucks due to the lack of transfer investment and continuous top four finishes. If he failed to get into the top four, it'd start hurting them financially and then Wenger may be under more pressure, same applies if he had spent a lot in the transfer windows. Currently he doesn't so none of the shareholders really care.
    Yea thats a good point. As long as he ''nearly'' gets there whether its a close race to the title, the quarters/semis of the champions league and maybe a carling cup win (which they should win this year), he will stay.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the farce that is Man City.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    arsenal are just boring now, u know they are gonna do good passing but you also know they are not going to win anything and you also know wenger will blame the ref or the way the other team played.............snooze

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hass147)
    That's asinine.
    I actually had to look this up. Sweet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    The Inter Barca game at the Nou Camp was one of the best matches of the season.

Yeah you're absolutely right, if by 'match', you mean where theres only one team playing.

ReputationRep:
    Because trophies are not the be all and end all, whilst he hasn't done an outstanding job over the past 5 years, he hasn't done a bad one. There is significant pressure from a section of the fans and a large proportion realise that he has made mistakes. Thankfully we have a board which is sensible and knows that it isn't easy to find a better replacement and that firing and giving someone new a £50m budget isnt necessarily the solution.

ReputationRep:
    Because there isn't a winning culture ingrained in Arsenal, they haven't won anything for 5 years ffs, and also they're always using the excuse of youth, and have been for 5 years, which placates some fans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Because there isn't a winning culture ingrained in Arsenal, they haven't won anything for 5 years ffs, and also they're always using the excuse of youth, and have been for 5 years, which placates some fans
    Wenger's excuses sometimes are laughable and sadly repetitive. He says that they are still young, and then gets even younger players in the starting line-up. His post-match comments are cringeworthy at times.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 19, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.