Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a good business studies degree from the "Universität Mannheim" enough for IB? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grt)
    Gosh, it's been two and a half years already... right. Well, enjoy your last months :P
    Thank you

And I do plan to continue one year!

ReputationRep:
    I am a student at WHU and have lots of friends who were interning last summer at bulge bracket banks in London (including Goldman, JP, Morgan Stanley, Deutsche, Nomura, BarCap, UBS, Credit) after they had finished their second year of bachelor studies (having one more year to go). More than half of them will start on fulltime-positions next summer. Also, even though it might be more prestigious, a friend of mine at JP Morgan told me that WHU interns in London all got job offers after their internship while some from MIT/Wharton/LSE did not. I, myself, did interviews with JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs for London. You always get invited for Frankfurt first, but it is normally not much of a deal to ask for London (all my friends that asked went to London), just because it is so much bigger and because half or more of most German teams cater the German market while being based in London. It might sound a little tough for all the OxBridge and LSE students but German students from WHU/EBS/Mannheim/Karlsruhe/Munich have excellent opportunities in I-Banking and might also perform better, since especially the education at WHU/EBS is very focused on banking and consulting.

It does not really matter if you are attending WHU or Mannheim or any other German target uni: It will always be possible for you to grab an opportunity in London. Just be within the top 25% (for the American banks) or at least in the upper half (for Deutsche or Credit Suisse). Then just participate in some workshops (to which you will get invited at Mannheim or WHU every year) and there you go. This was for example the case for me last year (being in the top 25% concerning grades). For New York it will be much much tougher (at least I do not know many people at WHU who got to go there), because apparently it just does not make a lot of sense for the banks. They want to serve the German market with German-speakers. You do not really have many opportunities to serve the German market in New York. If you wanted to go there, you probably had to start off in London for 2 years before you get to go to NY.

And by the way: Even though people make fun of EBS, it still has an incredible placement record and at least some very bright students.

@grt: It surprises me to hear that Deutsche, Commerzbank and Dresdner should be the first banks to go to from Mannheim. From my experience and my fellow students I can not confirm that (see above), maybe to some extent for Deutsche.

@ferreir: What you said does not take into account that top German business schools have altered their courses to the demand of banking. If youre coming from a top-school you will have a good chance to get into the industry.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this one, I did an assessment center for a US BB in London last week, I met a lot of German people ( maybe 8 out of 20), and most of them were from Manheim, EBS and WHU....

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying at Mannheim and can confirm what Gottesschaaf said. If you want to get into I-Banking, Mannheim/WHU offer probably the same chances to you as LSE/Oxbridge (after all, Germany has the biggest M&A Volume in Europe). A lot of students from higher semesters got recruited by the BB's, since Mannheim introduced the Bachelor's degree a couple of years ago, so there is now also in Germany no need to complete a Master's degree befor starting at an IB.

Beside that, tutution fee in Mannheim (500 € a Semester) is nothing compared to the other target universities so you won't have to use your first bonus for repaying your student loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bacano)
    if you want to get into i-banking, mannheim/whu offer probably the same chances to you as lse/oxbridge
    looooooooooooollll!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwinsOrAlpha?)
    looooooooooooollll!!
    laugh until you're staffed on a deal or join a German team... then you'll see the difference between a tea time & continental Europe and the German desk.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this great discussion ......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crocker)
    laugh until you're staffed on a deal or join a German team... then you'll see the difference between a tea time & continental Europe and the German desk.
    great. +rep

ReputationRep:
    Maybe true for sales, but Mannheim/WHU does not offer the same chances for German people like me who don't want to do German sales. Also, I would like to know how many of those start out in Frankfurt.

So generally speaking imo (and as an German Oxbridge student who also studied at a German uni): Oxbridge >> Mannheim/WHU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    Maybe true for sales, but Mannheim/WHU does not offer the same chances for German people like me who don't want to do German sales. Also, I would like to know how many of those start out in Frankfurt.

So generally speaking imo (and as an German Oxbridge student who also studied at a German uni): Oxbridge >> Mannheim/WHU.
    I agree. Even though UK banks are quite intl. there is an inherent advantage to study in the UK if u wanna work in finance in London. The equivalent of non-oxbridge/ LSE schools in continental Europe will not get u as many invites as non-oxbridge/ LSE UK - schools (eg. UCL, Imperial).

So yes, Oxbridge's reputation is ahead of Mannheim/WHU. The brand is just more developed.

However a degree from Mannheim is most certainly good enough. And I believe admission for business/ econ. is just as hard as for oxbridge. Plus your parents can't buy your way in the school as well. To "value" degrees I am also looking at the field you have it in. Sry, but everybody can get into some random PG programs in Oxford, while this is not the case for the MFE course. Same holds for many other schools.

I think a lot of ppl in FFM are from WHU, HSG, EBS, Mannheim

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Even though UK banks are quite intl. there is an inherent advantage to study in the UK if u wanna work in finance in London. The equivalent of non-oxbridge/ LSE schools in continental Europe will not get u as many invites as non-oxbridge/ LSE UK - schools (eg. UCL, Imperial).

So yes, Oxbridge's reputation is ahead of Mannheim/WHU. The brand is just more developed.

However a degree from Mannheim is most certainly good enough. And I believe admission for business/ econ. is just as hard as for oxbridge. Plus your parents can't buy your way in the school as well. To "value" degrees I am also looking at the field you have it in. Sry, but everybody can get into some random PG programs in Oxford, while this is not the case for the MFE course. Same holds for many other schools.

I think a lot of ppl in FFM are from WHU, HSG, EBS, Mannheim
    Good point about postgrad degrees. Not all degrees from Oxbridge increase your chances, even though I wouldn't support the statement about buying your way into Oxbridge.

Example:

Masters in Philosophy from Oxbridge not necessarily better than BSc Econ from Mannheim.

On the other hand I've seen many interviewers very impressed by e.g. MPhil Econ from Oxbridge or Part III Maths Cambridge. Those are in my mind also far more competitive to get into than BSc Econ Mannheim because the minimum standard is a 1st (< 1.5 in German terms) and you have to get letters of recommendations, do very well in the maths part of the GRE, etc... .

ReputationRep:
    So how competitive is it to get a place in Mannheim for BSc BA?

ReputationRep:
    Good point about postgrad degrees. Not all degrees from Oxbridge increase your chances, even though I wouldn't support the statement about buying your way into Oxbridge.

Example:

Masters in Philosophy from Oxbridge not necessarily better than BSc Econ from Mannheim.

On the other hand I've seen many interviewers very impressed by e.g. MPhil Econ from Oxbridge or Part III Maths Cambridge. Those are in my mind also far more competitive to get into than BSc Econ Mannheim because the minimum standard is a 1st (< 1.5 in German terms) and you have to get letters of recommendations, do very well in the maths part of the GRE, etc... .
    I absolutely agree. But isn't Mannheim more like 1.2 Abitur? Come on. Eaton A Level + not completely retarded = Oxford... But I don't really wanna argue about that. I very much respect an econ degree from oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvincrew)
    So how competitive is it to get a place in Mannheim for BSc BA?
    You just need a good Abitur (german high school degree). I just don't believe that admission to oxbridge is much harder than for Mannhein. Both are top schools in their respective countries. True, Oxbridge has prob. a higher intl. student body, but German has more potential students than the UK. Anyways, I don't really know much about admissions for undergrad.courses in the UK.

All I am saying is that Uni. of Mannheim is good enough for IB.

btw: I am not a Mannheim grad.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're good enough for IB.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely agree. But isn't Mannheim more like 1.2 Abitur? Come on. Eaton A Level + not completely retarded = Oxford... But I don't really wanna argue about that. I very much respect an econ degree from oxbridge.
    I got a spot at Mannheim BSc Econ (admittedly four years ago) with a South German 1.6 Abitur. In the end I went to a different German uni though closer to home. But yeah lets not argue.

P.S. When I say < 1.5 for Oxbridge I mean your uni degree to gain entry to postgrad (+ gre, etc...). For undergrad its a Abitur of 1.0 - 1.6 depending on the subject, your interview skills, the German state you did Abitur in, etc... I have rarely met Germans here with an Abitur of worse than 1.3.

ReputationRep:
    You just need a good Abitur (german high school degree). I just don't believe that admission to oxbridge is much harder than for Mannhein. Both are top schools in their respective countries. True, Oxbridge has prob. a higher intl. student body, but German has more potential students than the UK. Anyways, I don't really know much about admissions for undergrad.courses in the UK.

All I am saying is that Uni. of Mannheim is good enough for IB.

btw: I am not a Mannheim grad.
    Totally agree. Mannheim and a few more are good enough. On the wider continent I have also met SSE, St. Gallen, Maastricht, etc... Crocker, you wanna get into IB?

ReputationRep:
    I got a spot at Mannheim BSc Econ (admittedly four years ago) with a South German 1.6 Abitur. In the end I went to a different German uni though closer to home. But yeah lets not argue.
    Interesting. Can we be certain to say that the average grade for BSc BA would be similar or would it be even more competitive?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i have been trying very hard to find the admission grade bracket to Mannheim BSc BA to judge if i stand a chance. I am looking forward to soon applying to a German university with a vocational college diploma equivalent to the artibur grade of 2.0~2.3.

Since Mannheim Business School is one of the few universities with a fall semster admission (in DE), I would effectively waste half a year should I be rejected, and can only try to apply to another university in the following winter semester.

It seems like I should give up Mannheim and consider other universities instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvincrew)
    Interesting. Can we be certain to say that the average grade for BSc BA would be similar or would it be even more competitive?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i have been trying very hard to find the admission grade bracket to Mannheim BSc BA to judge if i stand a chance. I am looking forward to soon applying to a German university with a vocational college diploma equivalent to the artibur grade of 2.0~2.3.

Since Mannheim Business School is one of the few universities with a fall semster admission (in DE), I would effectively waste half a year should I be rejected, and can only try to apply to another university in the following winter semester.

It seems like I should give up Mannheim and consider other universities instead.
    Business Administration at Mannheim is by far more competitive than Economics at Mannheim. So with a 2.0~2.3 you will not stand a chance to get into the BSc BA. The cut-off point for the BSc BA in Mannheim is somwhere between 1.4-1.6 (having some friends who do their BSc BA in Mannheim).

Reasons are pretty simple: Public German unis chose their cut-off points (Abitur averages) in terms of supply vs demand. Everyone (okay I am exaggerating right now to make things clear) in Germany wants to do Business Administrations, because everybody believes he/she will become a high-paid manager. Economics is not really as popular.

If you look at the best German unis for Business Administration: Cologne, Munster, Munich or Karlsruhe (their Wirtschaftsingenieur is outstanding) - all these unis accept students up to ~1.X, with X being a value around 5 (might be a little higher for Munich).

However, you should never give up. I mean its not like applying is really going to cost you a lot of money?

Back to topic: Bacano is still correct. If you are a student at WHU/Mannheim and willed to go into I-Banking (let it be M&A or Sales&Trading, rather rarely Structuring) WHU/Mannheim will offer you the same opportunities. Bare in mind, that it might be easier to get accepted in Germany than in London and that once you are accepted it is still possible to get transferred to London. On top I know for a fact that the largest part of WHU students got job offers after their internship. And a job offer is something no uni reputation can get.

(Even though I would not understand why someone would chose London over Frankfurt. You get paid less and have to compensate higher costs of living. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gottesschaf)
    Business Administration at Mannheim is by far more competitive than Economics at Mannheim. So with a 2.0~2.3 you will not stand a chance to get into the BSc BA. The cut-off point for the BSc BA in Mannheim is somwhere between 1.4-1.6 (having some friends who do their BSc BA in Mannheim).

Reasons are pretty simple: Public German unis chose their cut-off points (Abitur averages) in terms of supply vs demand. Everyone (okay I am exaggerating right now to make things clear) in Germany wants to do Business Administrations, because everybody believes he/she will become a high-paid manager. Economics is not really as popular.

If you look at the best German unis for Business Administration: Cologne, Munster, Munich or Karlsruhe (their Wirtschaftsingenieur is outstanding) - all these unis accept students up to ~1.X, with X being a value around 5 (might be a little higher for Munich).

However, you should never give up. I mean its not like applying is really going to cost you a lot of money?

Back to topic: Bacano is still correct. If you are a student at WHU/Mannheim and willed to go into I-Banking (let it be M&A or Sales&Trading, rather rarely Structuring) WHU/Mannheim will offer you the same opportunities. Bare in mind, that it might be easier to get accepted in Germany than in London and that once you are accepted it is still possible to get transferred to London. On top I know for a fact that the largest part of WHU students got job offers after their internship. And a job offer is something no uni reputation can get.

(Even though I would not understand why someone would chose London over Frankfurt. You get paid less and have to compensate higher costs of living. )
    London's more interesting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.