Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what age would you let your children have a mobile phone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got mine aged 15, however I think about 13-14 is the usual age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    My first phone was when I was 14, and I was quite late in getting one compared to some of my peers.

Meh. I hate phones anyway, I've got one because people expect me to for some dumb reason.
    How can you hate phones? You hate communicating with people or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    So 12 is okay but not 11? Why does 1 year make a difference?

As soon as my child started secondary school at 11 I'd give them a mobile phone. Normally parents take their children to school and take them back from school. I'd be extremely worried if my 11 year old child was making a half hour walk to school and a half hour walk back from school by themselves everyday and didn't have a mobile phone with them. Giving one to them at 12 just takes away a whole year of protection.
    Why?
    Yet another cotton wool wrapping parent.

How does a mobile phone protect them?

ReputationRep:
    when they start making their own way to school they would have something cheap, then around 13 they could have something a little better.

ReputationRep:
    As with most people on here I'd probably go with 13ish. I used to coach gymnastics for a while and girls as young as 7 or 8 were coming in with their phones (and often losing them or forgetting to take them home again), and it just looked so... wrong :p:

ReputationRep:
    How 'bout when they start university? Worked for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Why?

Normally parents take their children to and from primary school. What parent isn't going to be worried about their child's safety after 7 years of taking them to school and letting them go by themselves to secondary school at 11?

When I was 11 my friend and I were walking home by ourselves and she got hit by hit and run driver. Luckily I had a mobile phone so I could call an ambulance. She would have died if I didn't have a phone with me. Obviously the chances of this happening are very rare, but then so is any accident that occurs when an adult carries a mobile phone; I don't see the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    11 with Pay As You Go. If they get pissy about that, the phone is gone and replaced with a paper, pen and some stamps. Yes, they will be contacting their friends via post.
    LAD

ReputationRep:
    I would have boundries for it with my kids:

10/11 to 14 - cheap phone on pay as you go with only £10 on at most (unless they were on a school trip or something then maybe more)
    15 to 16 - normal phone with pay as you go with only £20 on at most (unless they were on a school trip or something then maybe more and if they want to add more themselves)
    16 to 21 - low contract free phone (£20/£25 a month) with the bills addressed to me and if they go £20 over and cant pay me back then they lose the phone for a month for every £20 they are over. Im not going to leave them without a phone its just they will have to go back on the 15 to 16 pay as you go one
    21 + - they should be able to afford their own so their getting nothing off me

I may have over thought about this

ReputationRep:
    I had one when I was eight and never really used it :/
    I didn't start using it more regularly until I was in secondary school, and even then, not very much.
    It would be pay as you go as well, no contracts for the little *******s, they'd spend all my money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    I had one when I was eight and never really used it :/
    I didn't start using it more regularly until I was in secondary school, and even then, not very much.
    It would be pay as you go as well, no contracts for the little *******s, they'd spend all my money!
    is their anyway (im sure their is) to cap the contract so when they hit a limit overtheir contract it cuts out until you reactivate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    If you have / had children.
    11. That's when they go to secondary school, and I want mine to be at boarding school so they'll need a personal route of contact with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Why?

be quiet you gypsy

ReputationRep:
    Probably when they start secondary school, along with their own house key, that gives them independence :yep: But definitely no earlier than 11, kids should be kids.

ReputationRep:
    Probably when they start secondary school. So about 12

ReputationRep:
    11. When they start secondary school.

Nothing fancy, mind, some pay-as-you-go cheap thing :p:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely when they start secondary school. Just a cheap pay as you go phone and they can have something a bit better when they're 13/14.

I got one when I started high school, my kids will be the same. If they whinge and moan about not having the latest phone, they will be writing letters to their friends until they stop moaning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mewtwo)
    is their anyway (im sure their is) to cap the contract so when they hit a limit overtheir contract it cuts out until you reactivate it
    There might be, but if you just pay automatically it doesn't teach them as much about the value of money.
    If you instead give them £5/£10 and tell them to go buy their own top up, hopefully they'll respect it more and not use more credit than they bloody need to.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    start of secondary skl 11/12 ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen angel9)
    When they start secondary school.
    This

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.