Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are people on TSR cruel? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green chica)
    people like taking the piss for the hell of it. i mean, they're obviously on here because they're bored or procrastinating. plus, with this new system of reps, it's easier to see whether or not people like a post, and people tend to give positive rep to posts that make fun of the OP. therefore, people are rude more often then they normally would be. at least, that's what i think.
    I actually prefer this new system in a way. In the past, I used to get loads of nasty anonymous neg rep messages, especially for the most dumb reasons, which was especially a bit more of a shock as a newbie. Plus, when I'm depressed, reading that stuff doesn't particularly help either. At least now that people can't do the neg rep messages anymore, it's a bit better, so if they want to be nasty to you now, they can't be as "username anonymous" so easily.

ReputationRep:
    It's called boredom.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just you. It's an internet forum full of strangers so they're bound to be many keyboard samurais. This sight in particular has a few arrogant buggers who think their academic achievements makes them more of a human being. Also, some on here are supposedly ‘legends’ but in the real world, they’re nobody, so it's a win win situation. People will take the piss because they know you can't do anything to them expect maybe to neg rep them...No, not the nep rep!! Anything but that! I'd rather die than get negged!! (Joke )

No take it heart mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I actually prefer this new system in a way. In the past, I used to get loads of nasty anonymous neg rep messages, especially for the most dumb reasons, which was especially a bit more of a shock as a newbie. Plus, when I'm depressed, reading that stuff doesn't particularly help either. At least now that people can't do the neg rep messages anymore, it's a bit better, so if they want to be nasty to you now, they can't be as "username anonymous" so easily.
    Same! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    For teh Lulz!!!

ReputationRep:
    I only target stupidity and arrogance,I do......when the need arises give advice and support......but mainly mock people who are seriously misinformed.

ReputationRep:
    Internet anonymity makes people a lot more abrasive.

ReputationRep:
    it is harsh but fair

ReputationRep:
    "Cruel"? I'd call the majority of it banter.

Cruel would be someone posting something obviously serious and people giving them strong personal abuse. But 99% of the **** you see is banter and spans from the OP/poster being a noob at life. And when they do **** up they either learn from it or cry that everyone here is "cruel"

If it wasn't like this TSR would..... well, answer if for yourself.

Trolls are essentially just lonely. They crave human interaction, they want someone to give a damn about what they say for once, to feel like they matter. It is their own insecurities that they expose.
    I should know lol

ReputationRep:
    The internet is a cruel place where hope goes to die. Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedperson)
    ? They seem very quick to take the piss out of you, always try to put you down. I mean, wtf?
    *Random insult directed towards the OP*

ReputationRep:
    I suppose certain people like being bullies and making people feel small because they feel small themselves.

I don't see why people can't be nice! It isn't that difficult to respect other people...the internet is no excuse to treat people like they are something dirty you fell into!

Plus a lot of things that people think are "funny" are just rude, especially if someone is looking for a serious answer rather than:

"Oh, of course you didn't get in!! Look at your grades!!!! hardyhaha I got 10 A* at A2 hahahaha"

A lot of people forget there is more to cleverness than A-Level's. lol

ReputationRep:
    Haters gonna hate...don't take it personally. It's easy to be rude behind a screen where there are going to be no real repercussions, so anyone who regularly takes advantage of this is really a coward. Having said that, I think there are plenty of nice, friendly people on TSR, for example looking at the classic "Am I Ugly?" threads, I find mostly that the positive, constructive comments greatly outweigh the negative sarky ones. I have to say, that some of the threads that have the piss taken out of them, really are asking for it, mainly due to the naivety of the poster who sometimes needs a kick up the backside.

ReputationRep:
    That's how the internet works

ReputationRep:
    I think it's also down to the amount of trolling that goes on. When i first joined this site i tried to be helpful but then you have so many stupid topics you don't know who's serious and needs help or who's just taking the piss

ReputationRep:
    ? They seem very quick to take the piss out of you, always try to put you down. I mean, wtf?
    Yeah a lot of people here are quite arrogant/lacking in self-confidence and really want to come across as inteligent.

Putting people's views down tactlessly is an effective way to subdue their inferiority complex.

Of course, there are plenty of clever and delightful people here aswell. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hello confusedperson,

The world is a cruel place, and there are lots of bad, nasty people about that sit at their disks, lit with a pale eerie glow from the computer screen who have absolutely no care for how rude they are.

Best wishes, the internet.

ReputationRep:
    That's the anonymity of the internet for you. Don't worry about what these people say because they aren't experts after all and many do try to give genuinely helpful advice, but there are some out there who just like to put people down. Chances are they wouldn't do it in real life to someone's face, so who cares!

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.