Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pretty children don't tend to grow into pretty adults. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I agree with babies being ugly.
    xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escriba)
    Really? I don't know what babies you've been looking at. Maybe I'm just surrounded by people who have nicer gene pools...
    Perhaps. I'm just really not a maternal person at all, so I don't find babies cute, or whatever. I find kids quite repulsive

ReputationRep:
    I know. I used to be ugly as sin when I was a kid, and look at me now!
    oh wait...
    nothing's changed.
    goddamit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Perhaps. I'm just really not a maternal person at all, so I don't find babies cute, or whatever. I find kids quite repulsive

LOL! To be honest, I'm not that into kids myself but they are nice to look at. About 1 in every one-hundred children is nice to look at and be around. My little brother happens to be one of them.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely look a lot better now than I did when I was ten, but that's down to four or five years of orthodontics.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looking)
    I agree. The older they get, the sexier they aint:confused:
    This thread gets the...

ReputationRep:
    It's called peaking too early and mostly affects complete sluts.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this, OP. Never really thought about it much before but, when I was a bit younger I used to get told I was pretty quite often, not only by family members, but other school parents and randomers on the train/in the shop/even on an airplane. However now at 17 (not so old, but still old-er), I don't get the same approach. I've either got gradually less pretty-looking or now I'm older people feel they don't need to tell me. Probably the former haha I have noticed though, those who weren't so good-looking a few years ago have now changed a lot. There's this one girl nobody really noticed: personality wise she's much the same, a bit more talkative than her old shy self, but she gets called pretty 24/7 and boys are all over her - everyone notices her now. She looks completely different than she did before, but she's lucky it was a wonderfully natural change.

Maybe we just notice this more because pretty people won't want to make themselves ugly, but if they're already pretty there's not much for them to change. With the 'ugly', the only thing they'd want to do is make themselves prettier (as you get older.. make-up etc).

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my primary school was rather average. They're still average.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty girls tend to also be pretty women, pretty boys often look weird as adults as the features which are seen as 'attractive' on a boy aren't the same which are on a man.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just that what's considered 'pretty' as a child isn't the same thing that would be considered pretty as an adult - different criteria are used to judge them, so people may be described as pretty when they're 10 and not when they're 20 (or vice versa) simply because what makes a child attractive is different to what makes an adult attractive.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this with most people I've grown up with tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree. I remember adding someone from school on Facebook, and she used to be a little dorky and skinny and shy, and I was shocked when I saw her profile picture how elegant and beautiful she looked. I was really pleased for her actually!

I think a good example is Macaulay Culkin - he was adorable as a child but his baby face didn't change that much so he looks kind of odd as a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    Generalization I know, but most of the 'pretty' children I knew in primary school when I see now look quite odd. I guess because their face never really develops from that so when they have the same features on an adult body they look weird.

Those people who are constantly being told that they are pretty or good looking, I remember this boy in my primary school who was really good looking but now he hasn't changed AT ALL, so looks incredibly strange.

Now I was nowhere near pretty in my former days, I used to be a right tomboy and had eczema so that never helped. I think I look better now as a 18 yo than the rest of my former life.

I know at lot of examples of girls and boys alike who weren't the typical 'pretty' but now they are very attractive.

And of course there will be exceptions to the rule but I noticed this to go on all the time.

Oh and before anyone wants to digress and say 'but beauty is in the eye of the beholder' please refrain.
    Thoughts.
    Yeah happens a lot. Not always because the pretty young ones don't change but because they do. Most people's appearance develops as they get older so if your good looking young you could say that if yuo develop theres a good chance it wont be for the better. on the other hand ugly people cant get any worse so they get better looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    Generalization I know, but most of the 'pretty' children I knew in primary school when I see now look quite odd. I guess because their face never really develops from that so when they have the same features on an adult body they look weird.

Those people who are constantly being told that they are pretty or good looking, I remember this boy in my primary school who was really good looking but now he hasn't changed AT ALL, so looks incredibly strange.

Now I was nowhere near pretty in my former days, I used to be a right tomboy and had eczema so that never helped. I think I look better now as a 18 yo than the rest of my former life.

I know at lot of examples of girls and boys alike who weren't the typical 'pretty' but now they are very attractive.

And of course there will be exceptions to the rule but I noticed this to go on all the time.

Oh and before anyone wants to digress and say 'but beauty is in the eye of the beholder' please refrain.
    Thoughts.
    Yeah, I used to wish that I looked like my best friend when we were in primary school... she was petite, with wavy blonde hair and a sweet little-girl face and a snub nose and bright blue eyes. She hasn't really changed now she's 15 (her face is a bit of a weird shape, and her eyes are really small) and she's also gone from being angelically chubby to a bit overweight. In contrast, age has definitely benefited me and my face looks much better now it's more developed.

Another girl has gone from being absolutely beautiful a couple of years ago to gaunt and unhealthy-looking, though that's probably more to do with dieting, smoking, and constantly dying her hair.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's true. I wasn't the best looking guy in school. As I got older my features started to define more, I improved my dress sense, my hair etc and now I'm a lot better =]

However about 90% of my school mates have all gone downhill lol.

ReputationRep:
    Most of these 'pretty children' are people who have 'baby-faces', so in the end it evens out in their favour when everyone else is hitting middle-age and looking like a gargoyle, and they still look like they're in their 30s. With the obvious exception of the people who go downhill and turn into walking piles of pudding, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree. If I fb all the girls who were attractive in years 5-6, even the 'hot' ones in years 10 and 11, they all look quite unattractive. I think some guys I know have definitely got more attractive with age, me included. I used to have quite a pudgy face, snubby nose and was short and fat when I was 15 (about 5'8") - now I've got up to 6', really good underlying body shape (but still fat ) and have got the big aqualine nose. My best mate was a squinty screwfaced kid at about 15-16, then he developed a bit and has really striking Jewish features now.

ReputationRep:
    I was an ugly kid and now I'm average/decent I guess.

Most people I know who were pretty when they were younger are probably still pretty now, you just can't tell because they plaster their faces in terrible make-up and dress like trash.

By the way, I agree with all babies being ugly. They look like freaky little aliens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.