Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Conservatives now the gay friendly party? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Tories are not necessarily THE gay friendly party, but they are certainly a lot more friendlier than Labour it now seems.

ReputationRep:
    http://mygayvote.co.uk/

That would suggest that it is the lib-dems who are the most gay friendly. Tories are far in the rear (Haha...urgh).

Though the tories having more gay MP's has been a long-running trend. I also know they get a good percentage of the vote.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/b...-election-2010

39.1% for Labour, 22% for Conservatives according to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehjonny)
    http://mygayvote.co.uk/

That would suggest that it is the lib-dems who are the most gay friendly. Tories are far in the rear (Haha...urgh).

Though the tories having more gay MP's has been a long-running trend. I also know they get a good percentage of the vote.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/b...-election-2010

39.1% for Labour, 22% for Conservatives according to that.
    According to that - 28.9% planned to vote Conservative compared to 27.5% for Labour in the 2010 election.

That said it was from Gaydar - which is basically a site where horny gay men go looking for sex - so it isn't entirely representative of the "gay community."

The Conservative party isn't one single unit with one set of values. There are hundreds of different MPs, thousands of different members and millions of different voters. All you can really do is discuss general rules. You'll always find some individuals who are openly gay, or some individuals who are raging homophobes.

Traditionally the Tories have been bad on gay rights, especially the backbenchers. But I would say things are definitely changing, quite rapidly as well. With some e.g. David Cameron I don't really see the change as being genuine, its simply because popular opinion means that being anti-gay is a vote loser. But among the young conservative movement it is definitely the norm to be genuinely pro gay rights.

The homophobes in the party are definitely most common amongst the older generation, so they will quite literally die out. By the time people our age are leading the country, gay rights won't be an issue whatsoever as all mainstream parties will support gay rights. Already its getting to the stage where you can't really base your vote for any mainstream party on the gay issue, since there is now so much consensus between them all.

ReputationRep:
      Pretty sure all three main parties are pretty gay friendly on the whole, there will of course be the odd nutjob in all three, but mostly homophobia has no place in main stream politics.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ataloss)
      According to that - 28.9% planned to vote Conservative compared to 27.5% for Labour in the 2010 election.

That said it was from Gaydar - which is basically a site where horny gay men go looking for sex - so it isn't entirely representative of the "gay community."
      I just linked the site, didn't research the actual sampling, my bad. Either way, that is like saying a singles site doesn't represent the straight community. It represents at least a proportion of it obviously. I'm not surprised Labour's 2010 vote was down, they're incompetent and self-interested beyond compare.

Either way the voting records show which party is least in favour of gay rights and equality etc. Tories are my party of choice, but no point pretending to be something you are not.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Teveth)

Labour is the only gay friendly party.
      Here, here. I believe in yesterday.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      they are certainly a lot more friendlier than Labour it now seems.
      Baroness, I think you're telling porkies again.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      most conservatives are closet gays

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Teveth)
      1. The Tories have the most gay MPs because they have the most MPs.

2. No, the Tories are not the most gay friendly party. The party is led by a former (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt) homophobe who once voted against the repeal of the homophobic Tory legislation Section 28, and accommodates a number of openly homophobic MPs, such as Anne Widdecombe, who was until May 2010 an MP. Most Tories hate gays.

Labour is the only gay friendly party.
      What a bizarre assertion. I dare say there's only a handful of parties that aren't friendly to gay people, and they don't have MPs. On s.28: supporting it did not necessarily make for homophobia. I had a long talk with a (gay) Tory councillor who actually supported it on the basis that it is opposed to the promotion of homosexuality by the state. The reasoning is that the state shouldn't be pushing any kind of 'ideology'. With regards to 'gay rights': not voting on them doesn't mean you are opposed to gay liberties. I don't think that people should be punished more for murder because it was due to some kind of gay hate, not because I hate gay people, but because I think people should be equal under the law.

The statement that most Tories hate gays is... it's ****ing vile. It's an horrific smear, and you should be ashamed of yourself. Politics is now more important to you than any sort of integrity. You're not even convincing anyone. You're like an alcoholic screaming obscenities into the dark.

ReputationRep:
      Let's be clear: Half the party is gay.

ReputationRep:
      They have quite a few homosexual MP's. But then again it's hardly surprising is it? Often the most vehement opponents of homosexuality are closet homosexuals themselves. Now all the furore over homosexuality has died down and its ok to be gay, they are all coming out of the woodwork.

ReputationRep:
      Its quite simple, in my opinion, out of the top 3 party's

Two are have leader who are in support of full gay marriage
      One opposes full gay marriage, can you guess which one? =P

Just because the odd person is/ isn't homophobic doesn't mean the party is/isn't gay friendly

(Original post by LawBore)
        What a bizarre assertion. I dare say there's only a handful of parties that aren't friendly to gay people, and they don't have MPs. On s.28: supporting it did not necessarily make for homophobia. I had a long talk with a (gay) Tory councillor who actually supported it on the basis that it is opposed to the promotion of homosexuality by the state. The reasoning is that the state shouldn't be pushing any kind of 'ideology'.
        The councillor's decision doesn't make sense. If he was opposed to the state promotion of any ideology, he should support a bill that rules out any biased discussion of the moral acceptability of relationships. A bill that rules out some ideologies, while tacitly permitting other ideologies, is just as bad as coming straight out and promoting an ideology. By supporting s28, he was effectively promoting the ideology that it is OK to speak of heterosexual family relationships as 'normal', 'natural' and 'acceptable', but not homosexual relationships.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.