Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    my opinion would be that you have nothing to lose and at the very least get a kick up the bum to get your PS sorted

each to their own
    But you should be tailoring your PS to the specific job that you're applying for.

We were told by the people who deal with job applications in this Trust that you must mention the hospital/department/ward in your PS and say what you know about working in that area or why you want to work there and how your experience makes you the best candidate for that job.

You also need to cover all of the essential requirements and most of the desirable qualities/experience and how you meet those requirements in your PS.

There's no way that they will process an application which is obviously just a generic PS with no relevance to the post.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a PS sorted doesn't mean you send a generic one for the application. I have a basic PS but then tailor it to the place I'm applying. A lot of the stuff such as my degree course and my experience on placements will go for all of them. I'll then build in stuff to cover the specific job requirements

Given that some jobs only stay open for a few hours, there just isn't time to write them completely from scratch

ReputationRep:
    Ha! Well that was prophetic. I checked on NHS jobs yesterday and there was a band 5 job at George's! I was so excited, the place feels like home, it's great rotations and I know so many people there already. Trouble was the jobe xperience said "at least one year's experience", but that could include undergrad stuff, and I felt it was worth a shot as what with observation pre-degree, I was up to about 42 weeks, and someone with several weeks annual leave would only have a few weeks more experience than that. I decided to give it a shot, so I downloaded the spec, tweaked my supporting statement, and went to open the application bit. It said the job no longer existed!

Was it posted in error, or had it just filled up so quickly? I was really frustrated, and it hasn't been posted again today. It was odd in that it said it was open on the 22nd and closed on the 21st, so I really don't understand it.

It has made me think of doing some bank work though - as I want to get in there with the best chance possible if another opportunity opens up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlejumper)
    But you should be tailoring your PS to the specific job that you're applying for.

We were told by the people who deal with job applications in this Trust that you must mention the hospital/department/ward in your PS and say what you know about working in that area or why you want to work there and how your experience makes you the best candidate for that job.

You also need to cover all of the essential requirements and most of the desirable qualities/experience and how you meet those requirements in your PS.

There's no way that they will process an application which is obviously just a generic PS with no relevance to the post.
    I think you'll find I never even mentioned putting in a generic PS

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find I never even mentioned putting in a generic PS
    These are your exact words.

'my opinion would be that you have nothing to lose and at the very least get a kick up the bum to get your PS sorted'

Note you say 'your Ps', singular. There is no mention of tailoring it to a vacancy. The inference is clearly that you do it once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlejumper)
    These are your exact words.

'my opinion would be that you have nothing to lose and at the very least get a kick up the bum to get your PS sorted'

Note you say 'your Ps', singular. There is no mention of tailoring it to a vacancy. The inference is clearly that you do it once.
    I think you'll find that Physio students are encouraged to have one basic PS - the basic requirements of a band 5 job description are essentially the same from trust to trust, with the odd amendment and they are then encouraged to then tweak as new jobs come out after they have checked the personal spec. As Iain said, jobs are currently only usually advertised for between 3-12hrs so there is not time to write a brand new personal statement from scratch. My inference was actually that it gave them oppportunities to get that basic one done.....

I'l be more specific next time

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find that Physio students are encouraged to have one basic PS - the basic requirements of a band 5 job description are essentially the same from trust to trust, with the odd amendment and they are then encouraged to then tweak as new jobs come out after they have checked the personal spec. As Iain said, jobs are currently only usually advertised for between 3-12hrs so there is not time to write a brand new personal statement from scratch. My inference was actually that it gave them oppportunities to get that basic one done.....

I'l be more specific next time
    It's Christmas. Peace on Earth and goodwill to all men and women.

ReputationRep:
    Right - well I've been checking NHS Jobs every few hours so hopefully I won't miss out on a job at a big hospital, but no luck. The jobs all seem to either:

1) Band 6 and above
    2) for internal applicants only
    3) miles away like Devon - and I'm not at the stage of wanting to relocate yet
    4) very short term contracts

On the plus side I've received two offers of work, as well as getting through another one that was in the pipeline. The especially good bit is that after several frantic days juggling, I've managed to cobble together the various bits of part time stuff into pretty much full time work. It gives me variety, gives me some good money and keeps the options open for looking for other work.

The best paid work is at my old teaching job. If it had been long term I'd have said no, but it's only for a month, so will fill the coffers nicely. It did look like scraps meaning travelling into town each day just to teach one class, but I've pursuaded them to give me work in blocks.

DR teaching at George's keeps going, and now there's the possibility of some weekend cover on a research project headed up by Rachel Garrod, who's quite well known in COPD/pulmonary circles. It's working with our dissertation supervisor who's great so I'm going to enjoy it.

The other bit of new work is working with Fiona Jones, who's done some brilliant pioneering work in stroke rehab, and originated the Bridges programme, which is the big idea in the area. It's a bit of a mish mash job, but she'd great to work with and it'll look good on the CV. It's not bad pay at all, she's flexible so no problem popping off to interviews, and it will potentially go on as long as I don't get other work.

I've also applied for bank work at George's. This'll take several weeks to come through so I'll have finished with the teaching at my old job by then. It gets me more experience although it's not particularly well paid, but will get my face even more known at George's, which can be no bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainmacn)
    Right - well I've been checking NHS Jobs every few hours so hopefully I won't miss out on a job at a big hospital, but no luck. The jobs all seem to either:

1) Band 6 and above
    2) for internal applicants only
    3) miles away like Devon - and I'm not at the stage of wanting to relocate yet
    4) very short term contracts

On the plus side I've received two offers of work, as well as getting through another one that was in the pipeline. The especially good bit is that after several frantic days juggling, I've managed to cobble together the various bits of part time stuff into pretty much full time work. It gives me variety, gives me some good money and keeps the options open for looking for other work.

The best paid work is at my old teaching job. If it had been long term I'd have said no, but it's only for a month, so will fill the coffers nicely. It did look like scraps meaning travelling into town each day just to teach one class, but I've pursuaded them to give me work in blocks.

DR teaching at George's keeps going, and now there's the possibility of some weekend cover on a research project headed up by Rachel Garrod, who's quite well known in COPD/pulmonary circles. It's working with our dissertation supervisor who's great so I'm going to enjoy it.

The other bit of new work is working with Fiona Jones, who's done some brilliant pioneering work in stroke rehab, and originated the Bridges programme, which is the big idea in the area. It's a bit of a mish mash job, but she'd great to work with and it'll look good on the CV. It's not bad pay at all, she's flexible so no problem popping off to interviews, and it will potentially go on as long as I don't get other work.

I've also applied for bank work at George's. This'll take several weeks to come through so I'll have finished with the teaching at my old job by then. It gets me more experience although it's not particularly well paid, but will get my face even more known at George's, which can be no bad thing.
    There was a band 5 rotational at Ipswich up yesterday, no idea if it's still there though! Only reason I know is that I loved my placement at Ipswich and really wanted to apply for it (only 9 months too early!).
    Good luck with the job hunting though, keep us updated, will let us 2011 graduates know what the waters are like.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw that, shame it was so far away/I'm not more easily uprootable!

My guess would be that things might be marginally better - I guess now people may be holding off recruiting new band 5's until they know what's happening with the cuts. Then again, if the cuts are tougher than expected it may become even worse next year

ReputationRep:
    No news yet on the Slough job, alhough I guess Crimbo might have got in the way a bit.

I did say I wasn't going to settle for anything less than a big London hozzy for a while yet, but there's an interesting job which has potential at Guildford, which is a bit of a push but commutable. It looks interesting and either way will be good interview experience. Just a shame I'll lose at least half a day's pay to attend due to the fact that the work on the day is hourly paid so if I don't do it I don't get paid, and it's potetnially £100+

ReputationRep:
    Back at my old job teaching three days a week now. I'd forgotten just how much I hated commuting.

I'm quite enjoying it, it's ok, I've slipped back into it, but somehow I'm finding it difficult to really give a monkey's about it. I guess the move away from it was right. Can't wait to start physioing people

ReputationRep:
    Teaching at my old job done, nice little earner but realised I'd definitely made the right choice to get into physio. A nice reprise though.

Since then been applying to occasional jobs, including one at Guy's and one at Bart's, as well as a few others. No interviews though - so after some input from George's I changed my supporting statement. I figured I'd be good at it as being older I've done lots of job applications, but I got some good suggestions. Tried it for the first time with Bart's but no lcuk, but then I imagine that had tons of applicants. Then today, out of the blue, a job I'd forgotten about got back to me offering an interview later on in the week

So - a chance to praqctice interview technique if nothing else, but it does look like a good job. Not quite my ideal job but would certainly be a good introduction and start racking up experience. I could decide to wait for a job in a big teaching hospital, but I might regret that in six months, and I can always apply for them in a year. Anyway - I've got to get this job first!

Meanwhile, I've been helping out on the Bridges Stroke project - developed by Dr Fiona Jones at St George's and generally recognised as being a damn good thing, so it's all good experience and looks good on a CV. Even if I get offered the job I won't start for 6-8 weeks so it's good to have. Plus I've had some possible other work with another lecturer at the National Hospital for Neuro stuf, and I can still do DR teaching.

It's all a bit scary in many ways - I haven't been on a ward for just over a year and haven't done some rotations for two years or more, and starting off as a band 5 and having responsibility for patients is quite frightening. Okay I've had my own patients before, and while I treated them on my own, the buck stopped with my educator. Now supervision will be a lot more hands off. I guess it's in at the deep end!
    Right - better get off here and read up on some policy stuff before the interview!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - how quickly life can change. The Tuesday before last I got a call to invite me for interview on the Thursday, cue a mass rush to print out my portfolio and read through Equity and Excellence.

Horrible journey to get there but I arrived in time, and cue a written test that they hadn't told me about. It wasn't entirely unexpected but they said "arrive early to complete some paperwork" which I took to mean copying HPC registration details etc. Anyway no matter. The exam should have been simple but I realised how rusty I was. I was good at reading chest X rays as I had an ITU placement where nearly every patient required them, ut under pressure my brain turned to mush.

The interview went well, I was nervous and had a dry mouth but seemed to give good answers. Generally I was pleased with it, except for the written exam bit. I wasn't reaslly expecting an offer, so put it down to experience. Then lo and behold, a few days later they called to make me an offer

Cue much thinking - it had been a nightmare to get to and would be even worse at the time of day I'd be making the journey, plus a couple of other things I won't go into. I may live to regret it, but I turned it down. Time will tell whether it was a good decision or not, but even if I don't find anything for a few months I'm still happy with my decision right now.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm - well there I was, cursing the lack of band 5 jobs appearing on NHS jobs yesterday, and went off to check my email to see if there'd been any response to my application for bank at George's.

Much to my surprise, there was a mail from Guy's and Tommy's! Inviting me for interview on Monday. I could have sworn they'd rejected me. Do I care now if they rejected me, they're now inviting me for interview. With a big scary test first. :woo:

Cue hitting the books. I got away with doing a rather lame attempt at the East Surrey test, I think Guy's might be a bit more picky. Plus I'm going to have to do it sometime.

Bit weird, there's apparently going to be an OSCE stylee station as well - what do I wear? Physio gear for that and take my smart stuff up in a bag? Do the OSCE in a smart outfit, or the interview in my blue trousers and polo shirt? Hmm - I feel a phonecall coming on.

Other than that, been working on the Bridges Stroke project, which as well as being fun is also insightful - learning loads about what's needed to get a new idea into practice, as well as about stroke, and reading loads putting articles together for the newsletter on early supported discharge (sounds like a posh phrase for tossing off).

Up to town this afternoon for a meeting with someone at the institute of neurology in Queen's Square, probably the top neuro research place in the country, about a potetnial research post. Again set up by one of the lovely neuro lecturers at George's. I have to say that they've been brilliant about passing on jobs and bits of work to help those of us without jobs have somethign useful to do

ReputationRep:
    Oops - my bad, they didn't reject me before, I was getting confused with Bart's

ReputationRep:
    Well...

I'll post again later to do full justice to the recruitment process, yesterday was a loooooooooooong day!

Anyway - the headline news is..................drum roll...............subject to references...................... .....drum roll................

I have a job as a band 5 physio at one of the top hospitals in the country

:party::party:

So...absolutely knackered after a very long stressy day yesterday.

Elated that I have a job that I'd struggle to design better - great rotations, not miles away, seem to be nice people, really great teaching etc

Scared sh*tless at the thought of flying solo - I'm told this is pretty normal and that I'll settle down in a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Well...

I'll post again later to do full justice to the recruitment process, yesterday was a loooooooooooong day!

Anyway - the headline news is..................drum roll...............subject to references...................... .....drum roll................

Elated that I have a job that I'd struggle to design better - great rotations, not miles away, seem to be nice people, really great teaching etc

Scared sh*tless at the thought of flying solo - I'm told this is pretty normal and that I'll settle down in a couple of weeks.
    Woop, well done!! You deserve it after all your hard work!
    I'm already petrified at the thought of flying solo, and I still have 6 months to go!

ReputationRep:
    Right - well a bit more about the interview process:

Turn up at 8:40 (so make that 8:10 to allow time for train problems which didn't happen).

1) 20 minute multichoice exam on loads of bits and bobs from across the physio spectrum. Seemed to go well.

2) Given a 20 minute timeslot for the OSCE - 3 stations, one for MSK< one for resp and one for neuro

3) Drink coffee as my OSCE isn't for a couple of hours with some of the other guys. A really nie atmosphere, helping each other out with stuff that might crop up, even though we're actually in competition

4) Go and do the OSCE - did decently on resp, was okay on the others but still did a few dumb things that I kicked myself for afterwards

5) Drink coffee, chat, wait for the phonecall to tell us if we'd made it through to the next round (reminded me of X factor)

6) Phone call comes through - mine was second to come, got a place, fist pumped Andy Murray stylee. As more of our group of six got interviews, the remainder got less confident, but we all got through. We did wonder if they'd decided not to cut people as we didn't find anyone who hadn't got an interview, but then I guess they wouldn't hang around

7) Did the interview, seemed to go really well, nice open questions so plenty of chance to find out how I thought and what my priorities were

8) Travel home, shattered, after a long day. Only about 50 minutes of "action" but a lot of stressing and sitting around. Hoping for a phone call but found out it wasn't going to happen until the next day

ReputationRep:
    Well...

Rock on Iain - been a 'journey' as they say in X Factor.

Pleased for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.