Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tony McCoy favourite to win SPOTY.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Victoria's arms are looking a bit chubby, very nice to see. She's attractive again.

ReputationRep:
    A 36 (I think) year old winning a Lifetime Achievement award. Seems a bit wrong, no? Although Beckham has been a brilliant advocate for football in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Did someone actually suggest that a jockey puts in more effort on a daily basis than any other athlete :facepalm2:

Dave ffs :love:

ReputationRep:
    Oh god it's going to be the jockey isn't it :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    ................................ ........

ReputationRep:
    At least Jessica Ennis got some more TV time. :love: That woman is seriously attractive.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness it was never likely that all 3 winners this weekend would be deserving.

Kara last night and hopefully Stella tonight will make up for this travesty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    I am a horse racing fan and I am not supporting McCoy to win either. You are right he is the most successful jockey in the history of NH racing and one of the most talented but you can only win in NH racing if you have the best horse in the race or a horse capable of winning it. McCoy wouldn't have won the Grand National had he rode any of the other 39 horses in the race.

I accept NH racing is tremendously hard work (although there is a summer break - it is not 52 weeks a year) and McCoy is a great sportsman. His reliance on the horse however means in my eyes he should not win ahead of Daley, Williams, Taylor etc...

I know you said that you are a horse racing fan, however, have you actually watched any of AP's wins?

Have you watched the amount of times a horse was in dead last ridden along, a circuit to go, McCoy the only one off the bridal, yet come the finishing line, McCoy is the winner, when a circuit to go he was looking very unlikely.

Just see his ride on Wichita Lineman, March 10 2009 Cheltenham 2:40, heres a link:
    http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Did someone actually suggest that a jockey puts in more effort on a daily basis than any other athlete :facepalm2:

Dave ffs :love:
    Doing it on a daily basis yes.

Footballers train everyday, however, not a real match is it? Once a week, two if your lucky.

Cricket? Haha.

Athletics, training mostly, big events a few times a year.

Darts

ReputationRep:
    He had good horses, else he wouldn't have won. I bet the BBC were bribed by the rich horse owners to give it to a jockey to make their 'sport' of sitting on a horse and whacking it more visible.

If it were a fair contest, jockeys would each ride all the horses and whoever did the best overall would be the best jockey. Even then it wouldn't be a sport (still more of a sport than darts, you have to climb up and jump off your horse).

ReputationRep:
    sorry, there are so so so so so many good jockeys that would nver have won on Whitichita lineman, that couldn't have held exotic dancer, that couldn't have got out of albertas run what ap has.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe Jessica Ennis came third behind Phil Taylor! She definitely deserved to win or get at least a second place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    A 36 (I think) year old winning a Lifetime Achievement award. Seems a bit wrong, no? Although Beckham has been a brilliant advocate for football in this country.
    35:p:

while beckham has done some good thing for football, i think there are better people who impact on football is massive, a coach by the name of tong carr, his impact on football has been huge for this country, but than he is just a coach, countless others, not in the light off tv so to most is a name less face, he was just one that came to mind being a bias west ham fan and all :p:

while is great we award sporting like this, at times it makes you think you win one major thing and your in line to win it, Tony McCoy has done some great things, but his not a sportsperson "whose actions have most captured the public's imagination"

ReputationRep:
    Glad Taylor got some recognition, he's truly exceptional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Glad Taylor got some recognition, he's truly exceptional
    Yeah, it was about time Phil Taylor got credited for the success he has had. He looked absolutely chuffed by receiving that trophy too so really well deserved.

ReputationRep:
    Some mind-boggling ignorance on this thread.

i) RIISE: it is not because he has "finally" won the National. It's because he is finally being recognized for the incredible sportsman he is.

ii) Colbert: I suggest you get your facts right- Horse racing is the most spectated sport after football. (Or it was last year). Suggests that plenty of people care about it.
    There is also no summer break- jockey's might take a break, but NH racing goes through the summer, many meetings of which you'll find McCoy at, giving it the same dedication and effort that we would to win the National this year. That's why the man is such a champion and it's fantastic that it's being recognised nationally.

iii) Liam09: The term "personality" means celebrity in this case. Yet year after year people trot out the "but he hasn't got personality" line.

iv) Ataloss: not correct. By that logic, a 7lb claimer could have won the National on Don't Push It. Very unlikely. I cannot count the number of winners AP McCoy has had that other jockeys simply would not have won on. The most famous being Wichita Lineman in the WH Chase at Cheltenham last year.

And LOL at anyone who thinks that fat moron Phil Taylor should have won SPORTS personality of the year. Clue in the title. Don't get me wrong, there is a fantastic amount of skill in darts obviously. But to put a darts player in the same bracket as athletes and sportsmen is hilarious.

Flak jacket on, I suspect this post might irritate the thickets.

ReputationRep:
    Sports Personality OF THE YEAR is exactly that, an award to recognise outstanding sporting acheivement IN THAT YEAR.
    After Giggs last year and McCoy this year, it seems to have become some sort of general "well done on your career" award, because
    assuming it is actually to recognise achievement in 2010, then we are forced to conclude that AP McCoy won it solely because he won the Grand National, which of course isn't true.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, apologies, didn't realise there was a second page! I see the Wichita Lineman ride has been mentioned.

Hopple- have you got any idea how a handicap race works? Theoretically, it should be as open as it gets, obviously this isn't true in practice but you simply can't just attribute McCoy's success to being on the best horse all the time. There would have been several horses in the Grand National capable of winning, however for any number of jockey-related reasons, they didn't, such as: not seeing a stride at a fence; mis-timing; not keeping the horse relaxed; these and several more attributes are key in a jockey which could make the best horse in the race lose.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.