The Student Room Group

Is being quiet the same as being shy?

Scroll to see replies

i'm shy and unconfident to an extent...not quiet.
yeah i know what you mean OP, they're different.
i have the same problem.I'm quite but people think i'm shy and not confident and thats why i'm not talkative.
I don't think they're the same thing. I'm quite quiet but I wouldn't describe myself as shy. I can be very confident when I want to be, especially with strangers actually which is weird, but when it comes to day to day conversation with people I know I usually stay in the background, especially if there's a big group. I'm rubbish at small talk, so don't say anything if I don't have anything worthwhile to say. If I'm with only a few other people, whether I know them or not, I tend to be a lot more talkative though.
Reply 23
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
No.

Being quiet is when you do not want to say something, or feel as though there is no need to speak.

Being shy is when you want to say something, but you can't bring yourself to say it.

You can be a confident quiet person, but you cannot be a confident shy person.

I hope that helped.

Original post by schnapster
I don't think they're the same thing. I'm quite quiet but I wouldn't describe myself as shy. I can be very confident when I want to be, especially with strangers actually which is weird, but when it comes to day to day conversation with people I know I usually stay in the background, especially if there's a big group. I'm rubbish at small talk, so don't say anything if I don't have anything worthwhile to say. If I'm with only a few other people, whether I know them or not, I tend to be a lot more talkative though.

Totally agree! People seem to think I'm shy, whereas I am pretty confident, however because I don't always find the need to talk I am quiet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm often described as being 'quiet' which I don't think is meant to be an insult (hopefully). However, I do think being 'shy' or 'unconfident' is a negative thing. Do you think they are the same thing? Can someone be quiet and confident at the same time? What are the main differences do you think?

Shy people use to be quiet.
Quiet people don't have to be shy.
Reply 25
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
No.

Being quiet is when you do not want to say something, or feel as though there is no need to speak.

Being shy is when you want to say something, but you can't bring yourself to say it.

You can be a confident quiet person, but you cannot be a confident shy person.

I hope that helped.

i disagree tbh..

i think shyness is related to human contact. you can be quiet and confident yet prefer to avoid human contact at the same time because it makes you uncomfortable/etc
Original post by arabie
i disagree tbh..

i think shyness is related to human contact. you can be quiet and confident yet prefer to avoid human contact at the same time because it makes you uncomfortable/etc

No, if you feel uncomfortable by human contact then you are shy.
A quiet person does not have to feel uncomfortable or avoid human contact.

I would agree that it is easy to go from being a quiet person to a shy person though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending