Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

need help gaining fat Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen)
    That's really good. WELL DONE!

I'm a girl but I'm joining the gym to get more tone legs with squats in the new year.

I had an eating disorder last year and really want to gain a few pounds.

I'll try this.
    It's worth a try, but if you really want to gain weight the best way is gym. I tried doing it at home, and the only thing it did is tone my body, which i guess was good, as i mainly only did home exercises. But ever since i started going gym is when i started gaining muscle and became more toned. So all is good so far, but still not fully happy. I guess when you start going gym, and see a difference you will always want more lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Guardian)
    i drink on average 3-4 pints full fat milk a day.

always have 3 meals a day, porridge for breakfast, sandwich for luncg then standard dinner like pasta or pizza etc, fairly normal diet. i would drink more milk but its hard to take more than 1 pint into uni. so basically i need something i can have on the go?

cheers
    Porridge, sandwich and pasta/pizza is not a lot of food, therefore it is not your metabolism holding you back.

There are countless threads on here about this topic. If you can't stomach doubling your portions, eating in between meals. Many nuts are healthy, and calorific. Eat more pizza. Eat more fruit. eat more chicken. Eat more fish. Eat more veg. Eat a few doughnuts.

There is a common theme between the second paragraph and gaining weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Guardian)
    i drink on average 3-4 pints full fat milk a day.

always have 3 meals a day, porridge for breakfast, sandwich for luncg then standard dinner like pasta or pizza etc, fairly normal diet. i would drink more milk but its hard to take more than 1 pint into uni. so basically i need something i can have on the go?

cheers
    I reckon that's only about ~2500kcals. Eat more.

Wholewheat pasta, tuna, chicken, peanut butter, cottage cheese, plenty of fruit and veg etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    Porridge, sandwich and pasta/pizza is not a lot of food, therefore it is not your metabolism holding you back.

There are countless threads on here about this topic. If you can't stomach doubling your portions, eating in between meals. Many nuts are healthy, and calorific. Eat more pizza. Eat more fruit. eat more chicken. Eat more fish. Eat more veg. Eat a few doughnuts.

There is a common theme between the second paragraph and gaining weight.
    I can never eat much in the mornings, I seem to eat 3/4 of my food after 5-6. Any way to solve this issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    It's worth a try, but if you really want to gain weight the best way is gym. I tried doing it at home, and the only thing it did is tone my body, which i guess was good, as i mainly only did home exercises. But ever since i started going gym is when i started gaining muscle and became more toned. So all is good so far, but still not fully happy. I guess when you start going gym, and see a difference you will always want more lol
    A stone in a month is crazy. I would believe half a stone of 'muscle'. What's your workout routine mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    I use maximuscle Cyclone, i know it's expensive but it does the job. I used to use a much cheaper one about half the price before i went to the gym, and to tell you the truth it was nothing compared to this one. The cheaper one didnt mix properly which meant it was hard to drink. Also another reason i take Cyclone is because it has creatine and i train nearly everyday so i need it for quicker repair.

Hope that helped.
    Hmm, I'm sortof stuck in two minds with that^ and also Promax high protein from the same brand (with creatine too). Because like you I train everyday (weights and boxing) so do need a high supply of protein, but it's a difficult decision to make.

Do you like the flavour you have also do you drink it with milk or water>

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ****sSonsFriend)
    A stone in a month is crazy. I would believe half a stone of 'muscle'. What's your workout routine mate?
    Yeah, don't believe a stone of muscle. That's like 3.5 pounds a week.
    With optimum training and diet you can hope to gain about a pounds of mass a week, maybe more if you're lucky. But not 3.5 pounds..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    With optimum training and diet you can hope to gain about a pounds of mass a week, maybe more if you're lucky. But not 3.5 pounds..
    Yeh, I can't even imagine more than 2lbs a week. Guy must be talking about trolling-stones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Hmm, I'm sortof stuck in two minds with that^ and also Promax high protein from the same brand (with creatine too). Because like you I train everyday (weights and boxing) so do need a high supply of protein, but it's a difficult decision to make.

Do you like the flavour you have also do you drink it with milk or water>

Thanks!
    The thing is i never tried the one your talking about, but just looking at my gain, and also that you do boxing im guessing you generally want to bulk out. This means you will probably workout 5 times a week, cause even with creatine you need rest days, but the one i went for is specifically designed for muscle gain, which is only achieved through working out, and the more days i can go to the gym and workout the same muscle means the bigger it will get throughout. I find that this protein drink actually allows me to do that, and theres no question that it also has high protein, as that is needed for repairing the muscles and gain (which is the whole selling point of Cyclone), but it has a higher amount of creatine which allows me to workout more which even in short term will increase my overall muscle mass.

I prefer to mix it with milk, which i usually do in the morning or in my rest days, but at the gym i mix it with water straight after my workout. Im not ganna say that i love drinking the stuff as it get repetitive and theres nothing that you will consume everyday and still love it, but comparing it to other shake i used to use it mixes well with both milk/water. I'm just about to run out of the strawberry flavor, and it tasted fine, obviously it is a protein shake and i didnt have high expectations for taste, but it was okay.

Hope that helps, obviously i have very limited knowledge of this stuff but just going by my experience of it so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    I seem to be in the position you were a month ago so i want to ask about your diet/workout plan. Any chance you could post it or pm me with it? Or do you not have nothing really planned out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    The thing is i was starting to see a breakthrough before i started going to the gym, as soon as i hit the gym, i started eating like mad plus shakes. I dont weight myself twice and i dont write it down to compare. I would say min 0.8 max 1stone. But i and others can see a big difference, especially with me being tall i workout my legs a lot and i guess some weight gain came from legs as well as body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    The thing is i never tried the one your talking about, but just looking at my gain, and also that you do boxing im guessing you generally want to bulk out. This means you will probably workout 5 times a week, cause even with creatine you need rest days, but the one i went for is specifically designed for muscle gain, which is only achieved through working out, and the more days i can go to the gym and workout the same muscle means the bigger it will get throughout. I find that this protein drink actually allows me to do that, and theres no question that it also has high protein, as that is needed for repairing the muscles and gain (which is the whole selling point of Cyclone), but it has a higher amount of creatine which allows me to workout more which even in short term will increase my overall muscle mass.

I prefer to mix it with milk, which i usually do in the morning or in my rest days, but at the gym i mix it with water straight after my workout. Im not ganna say that i love drinking the stuff as it get repetitive and theres nothing that you will consume everyday and still love it, but comparing it to other shake i used to use it mixes well with both milk/water. I'm just about to run out of the strawberry flavor, and it tasted fine, obviously it is a protein shake and i didnt have high expectations for taste, but it was okay.

Hope that helps, obviously i have very limited knowledge of this stuff but just going by my experience of it so far.
    Hmm, thanks for your insight, was helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wangelo)
    I seem to be in the position you were a month ago so i want to ask about your diet/workout plan. Any chance you could post it or pm me with it? Or do you not have nothing really planned out?
    like i was saying im still working all that out i have nearly no experience of it, a lot of stuff i did was advice i got from people at the gym and what i read. But I tried eating at least 4 good meals a day. Considering that i am working that was hard, but my work is very chilled out so i could always eat while working which helped, something like a tuna sandwich ( i always had 2 lunches) because my working hours differ each day i make sure that i had 2 big lunches. Also in the morning i always have two portions of porridge, some days i may have something like scrambled eggs plus add ons. After i finish work i buy some lunch < which is not always healthy i have to say. And at home i get cooked dinner it varies everyday as i have no choice over it, as im only 19 and still live at home before i go uni. Although it's hard to have a plan because sometimes i go gym before work, some after, somedays i work 4 hours somedays 10. But i always try to eat and somewhat balance my diet < even though that doesnt always workout.

Sorry This is not much help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    like i was saying im still working all that out i have nearly no experience of it, a lot of stuff i did was advice i got from people at the gym and what i read. But I tried eating at least 4 good meals a day. Considering that i am working that was hard, but my work is very chilled out so i could always eat while working which helped, something like a tuna sandwich ( i always had 2 lunches) because my working hours differ each day i make sure that i had 2 big lunches. Also in the morning i always have two portions of porridge, some days i may have something like scrambled eggs plus add ons. After i finish work i buy some lunch < which is not always healthy i have to say. And at home i get cooked dinner it varies everyday as i have no choice over it, as im only 19 and still live at home before i go uni. Although it's hard to have a plan because sometimes i go gym before work, some after, somedays i work 4 hours somedays 10. But i always try to eat and somewhat balance my diet < even though that doesnt always workout.

Sorry This is not much help
    No thats cool thanks. Exactly same position as you still live at home so at dinner it isnt really up to me. Thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    before you post about stone-trolling etc, My gym mebership started on november 1st, Even 2 weeks before that i started eating heavily, because i didnt want to go into the gym and look completely hopeless. I said a month because i started going to the gym on the 1st of November and started seeing noticable weight gain of about 0.7 stone in december. I said i dont constantly weigh myself or keep charts, the weight/muscle gain may have been a little over the 2 week period before i started going to gym and a little after. But i started seeing noticeable result after i started going to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    gym plus protein shakes. You need to get enough protein in your diet, but make sure you go gym 4-5 times a week, otherwise it has no effect, i have gained a stone in muscle in the last month.
    lol you on dat celltech? I got and am still getting good n00b gains too but there's no way you put on a stone in a month of lean muscle, I'm sure you put on a stone but its not all muscle

ReputationRep:
    Eat a jar of peanut butter!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol you on dat celltech? I got and am still getting good n00b gains too but there's no way you put on a stone in a month of lean muscle, I'm sure you put on a stone but its not all muscle
    Probably not all muscle, but it looks good so far, just ganna keep going gym and train and see how it goes. My main aim was to first gain weight/muscle and tone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.