Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The help has been really good so far, thanks! Though the more opinions the better.

ReputationRep:
    Is there internet access in the study bedrooms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Yep, and a bloody good one at that. Don't download more than 5Gb in 24hrs or they will ban you (each time a longer ban).

Also don't do anything less than legal with it, they punish very severely if caught.

You will need an Ethernet cable for the port, isn't wireless.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a very, very fast one. As said, it isnt wise to torrent, or do anything shifty (DDoS, CP etc.)

As for what someone asked before, the gym is incredibly good, and free (except a one time 30 quid admin fee or something), and is open until 10pm on weeknights and 8pm on weekends.

The workload is hideous if youre aiming to get a good grade. If youre cool with a 2.2, then you have time to party, but be warned, people can, and are kicked off the course for doing badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Yes, a very, very fast one. As said, it isnt wise to torrent, or do anything shifty (DDoS, CP etc.)

As for what someone asked before, the gym is incredibly good, and free (except a one time 30 quid admin fee or something), and is open until 10pm on weeknights and 8pm on weekends.

The workload is hideous if youre aiming to get a good grade. If youre cool with a 2.2, then you have time to party, but be warned, people can, and are kicked off the course for doing badly.
    Slight exageration? All my friends had fun and got 2.1/1st (well one got a 2.2 a high one though...) and I got a distinction. It isn't crazy volumes of work, more than a history degree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Slight exageration? All my friends had fun and got 2.1/1st (well one got a 2.2 a high one though...) and I got a distinction. It isn't crazy volumes of work, more than a history degree...
    Course?

ReputationRep:
    Course?
    Me? Medicine.

My friends - EEE, Chemistry (quite a few), Physics, Materials (amusingly the 2.2), Maths, Civ Eng. So a fairly broad mix from the imperial tree

Edit: oh and a Bio med.

ReputationRep:
    Me? Medicine.

My friends - EEE, Chemistry (quite a few), Physics, Materials (amusingly the 2.2), Maths, Civ Eng. So a fairly broad mix from the imperial tree

Physics and EEE are pretty bad.

I'm doing Mech Eng. 2nd year in particular is an ass-kicker.

ReputationRep:
    Physics and EEE are pretty bad.

I'm doing Mech Eng. 2nd year in particular is an ass-kicker.
    Yes, I seem to know the alchy of EEE who still does well though

I don't really know any Mech Engers so I will have to take your word for it!

The last 3 weeks of med we hell last term though 5am wake up time! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Me? Medicine.

Why is the materials person getting the 2.2 amusing?
    Is it regarded a lesser subject?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies regarding Internet access.

How heavy is the workload in EEE? I am definatly aiming for a 1st, or a 2.1 at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmm_66)
    Why is the materials person getting the 2.2 amusing?
    Is it regarded a lesser subject?
    They have half days, more than one a week, so it is in part a jealousy at a less work thing :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies regarding Internet access.

How heavy is the workload in EEE? I am definatly aiming for a 1st, or a 2.1 at the very least.
    Doable. But there is a fair bit.

ReputationRep:
    Doable. But there is a fair bit.
    You tell us there's a lot of work but how comes you're on TSR so much? And you're a medicine student as well! I'm :confused:.com!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)
    You tell us there's a lot of work but how comes you're on TSR so much? And you're a medicine student as well! I'm :confused:.com!
    Hahaha. Because I seem to be able to get away with it. Plus it is holiday, no work till after christmas, most of those posts are pre imperial/ in the holiday.

I am more of a cramming kind of guy...I don't make notes etc.

I think I am just lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha. Because I seem to be able to get away with it. Plus it is holiday, no work till after christmas, most of those posts are pre imperial/ in the holiday.

I am more of a cramming kind of guy...I don't make notes etc.

I think I am just lucky!
    Methinks you're just Mensa smart I was told Imperial isn't the place for me if I'm going to choose to be an "academic slouch". If you don't mind me saying you seem like an academic slouch Or do you have photographic memory or sumink?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)
    Methinks you're just Mensa smart I was told Imperial isn't the place for me if I'm going to choose to be an "academic slouch". If you don't mind me saying you seem like an academic slouch Or do you have photographic memory or sumink?
    I think i am an academic slouch of sorts :P

I don't have a photographic memory no, but I tend to understand things as soon as explained to me which helps. My memory is pretty good though...

My EEE friend is very much an academic slouch, though she is crazy smart. She went into two exams an taught herself what to do in the exam...though this was programming so it is possible...

ReputationRep:
    Are the chances of living in their halls for people who can commute to the uni slim?

ReputationRep:
    Gym is great, if a little busy at certain times mostly due to it being free; workload can be absolutely horrendous but everyone sorta helps each other out with it - I daresay it brings your class that bit closer together. Accomodation-wise, people tend to live around 30 - 40 mins walk away from uni, and quite a lot of people cycle - I do and it's pretty fun It's not too hard to find people to live with in 2nd / 3rd year, and I'd say it was better than a lot of other unis as you're generally looking for places in around June, compared to January. I found out the hard way, but the best piece of advice I could give you is to use your time wisely and balance it between stuff, that way you can get involved in quite a lot of clubs / socs.

Back to revision for my 5 january exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student29)
    Are the chances of living in their halls for people who can commute to the uni slim?
    I don't recall reading any bias towards long distance students.

My real home is 30 mins commute from South Ken and I got allocated the closest hall (Southside) to my department.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.