Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Darts is not a sport. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    I would appreciate it if the BBC chose to restrict its 'Sports Personality of the Year' program to sports only. Darts is not a sport and never will be.
    From Wikipedia, the definition of a sport is: 'an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs.'

Darts falls under all of that, therefore it is a sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    From Wikipedia, the definition of a sport is: 'an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs.'

But how far does that definition spread? Because I can tie that into chess or even Starcraft [a so called E-sport], does that mean we can have a scrawny Korean winning the international award next year?

ReputationRep:
    Dart is not a sport, then why did you put them in sport topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    I fear we are going to get caught into the subjective definitions of 'sport'.
    I know. There are certains ideals that I have in my head about what a sport should be. I'm not a fan of sports which use judges, such as diving and figure skating. I think a sport should have a indisputable winner and opinions shouldn't come into it. However, I accept the definition of sport as it is, therfore I would be an idiot to say figure skating isn't a sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Sorry, what's the difference between being having the skill to ride a horse and having the skill to throw darts incredibly accurately? Both require hours and hours of dedication each day to reach a professional level. But in both, the sheer physical effort of athletic sport is not present (or is performed by an animal).

Jockeys have it tough in terms of diet and fitness, but that is purely due to weight (i.e. putting as few potatoes in the sack as possible).
    So this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f824CU-F3rc

Is the same as this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLKyB8MXulk
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    You do realise that anybody who is anywhere near good at darts will spend 8+ hours each day training?

Drinking beer and eating pork scratchings whilst playing darts =/= training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I know. There are certains ideals that I have in my head about what a sport should be. I'm not a fan of sports which use judges, such as diving and figure skating. I think a sport should have a indisputable winner and opinions shouldn't come into it. However, I accept the definition of sport as it is, therfore I would be an idiot to say figure skating isn't a sport.
    Indeed! But I think Tom would be rather upset you said that!

ReputationRep:
    Define for me 'training' if 'training' isn't applied practice of the actual event?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I thought.

****ing stupid tbh.

(Original post by Cinqueta)

Failing logic.

Oh, and Wikipedia is really renowned for being indisputably accurate. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Darts is a game, not a sport.

ReputationRep:
    Darts - The only "sport" / "non - sport" you allowed to play under the influence of alcohol lol.

ReputationRep:
    No, one is horse racing and the other is darts...

Your point is, what? You show an entire horse race lasting 8 minutes and compare it to one game in a competitive darts match that can last between 2 and 3 hours and call that a fair comparison?

ReputationRep:
    Define for me 'training' if 'training' isn't applied practice of the actual event?
    For me, training is something you do to prepare for something like a competition of a sporting nature. Since darts is not a sport, you cannot really train for it. Practice, yes. Train, no.

Just look at your average darts player and then compare him/her to an average footballer, rugby player, MMA fighter, anything. The former is not how an 'athlete' is supposed to look. Granted there will be exceptions for this but I'm talking about averages here.

A sport should be defined by physical exertion and represents the pushing of your body to new extremes, be it in endurance, strength, stamina, anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)
    Darts is a game, not a sport.
    Game and sport are interchangeable words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Drinking beer and eating pork scratchings whilst playing darts =/= training.
    Ok, its quite clear that there is no point continuing this thread as its impossible to make a good argument when the OP is a complete retard.

ReputationRep:
    So your definition of a sport is based on the aesthetics of the supposed competitors?

So what if I took up darts, what would that make me? Because i would still retain the aesthetics of my swimming body. I think the point you are trying to make here is that you do not have to be physically fit in order to play darts, there is no real optimum physical condition to do it. All other 'sports' as such, including F1 and horse riding, require levels of fitness.

ReputationRep:
    A sport should be defined by physical exertion and represents the pushing of your body to new extremes, be it in endurance, strength, stamina, anything.
    Such as honing the fine motor skills and concentration abilities to throw small projectiles at a target with the consistency required to compete at the top level.

ReputationRep:
    But how far does that definition spread? Because I can tie that into chess or even Starcraft [a so called E-sport], does that mean we can have a scrawny Korean winning the international award next year?
    That's exactly what we have right now pretty much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Ok, its quite clear that there is no point continuing this thread as its impossible to make a good argument when the OP is a complete retard.
    I'd think the real retard would be somebody who cannot discern the actual OP because it is not me.

ReputationRep:
    So your definition of a sport is based on the aesthetics of the supposed competitors?

So what if I took up darts, what would that make me? Because i would still retain the aesthetics of my swimming body. I think the point you are trying to make here is that you do not have to be physically fit in order to play darts, there is no real optimum physical condition to do it. All other 'sports' as such, including F1 and horse riding, require levels of fitness.
    That's what I mean yes, generally.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.