Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Letter to your younger self. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it's stolen off Stephen Fry, it's a pretty obvious idea.

Mine:

Dear Me Age 15,

Stop being such a total ****wit. In particular:

1. If you fancy someone, ask them out. I know you have a lengthy and detailed list of excuses, including a few you think are so solid and inescapable that even to argue the point is lunacy, but you are, quite simply, totally wrong. You are being retarded.

2. All of your academic interests and career ambitions are based on ridiculously naive, stupid and idealistic beliefs about the world. Do not go anywhere near politics or the armed forces, and sure as hell do not join any sort of military organisation or do a degree in politics. Maybe study maths and computing, or if that sounds too boring perhaps maths and philosophy. Take a foreign language at A-level. You should have studied two rather than one at GCSE, but if I had sent this letter a year earlier you probably wouldn't have had the wherewithal to understand it.

3. Whatever you do, do your best. Don't do things (let alone everything) in a half-assed fashion. "But noone cares how well I do" isn't a valid excuse. Do it for yourself.

4. Travel as much as you can when you are young, it makes you grow up and learn some independence and self-reliance.

Yours Sincerely,

You

ReputationRep:
    Good thread btw!

(Original post by boromir9111)
      Your sig, the writing part that is lol is a soooo "true dat" comment :yes:
      :yep: It's from a song by the amazing Arcade Fire.

ReputationRep:
      Dear Gemma, aged 16,
      He doesn't like you because he's scared to. He doesn't feel grown up enough to give you what you deserve. He will tell you this eventually, but only far too late, when you're with someone else.
      Don't get with someone just so that you won't be alone, because you're very much loved by your friends and family, who I think you take for granted.
      Look forward to university. It will be a completely new life for you. You will fly high academically, and you will meet three of the most amazing people in the world, who love you for exactly who you are.
      Don't let the past get you down; concentrate on the future, and I promise you you'll shine sweetheart.
      Love from Gemma, aged 20 xxx

ReputationRep:
      Dear Ideot (12),

Yes I know this seems strange, and very like a game, but stick with it and be daring - people in school are very stupid, do your own thing, stand up to Rambo and Thin Connie. Don't be afraid to love your books, even when you are mocked for it. I know you will go through some funny phases, don't worry, you will emerge from them sadder but wiser. Please don't look for the Freemason Lodge. Be kind to people, but don't let them get too close. Keep your ambitions and interests - but please get rid of that awful black hoody, I know about the holes under the arm pits.

:hug:
      Ideot (16)

ReputationRep:
      Dear Xhotas aged 13;

You don't like the taste of beer. You can't physically stand whiskey and it makes you sick afterwards. Please stop drinking it before you start to love it, yearn it and overall blow all your money on it at age 18.

Love, Xhotas aged 18

PS - Man up, pussy emo *****.

ReputationRep:
      Dear 15 year old self,

That dorky hairstyle won't last forever - you'll wise up and decide that long layers are better than extremely long, one-length hair. And you'll feel happy that you trumped your mum in deciding a good haircut, for once. :P

Also, it doesn't matter that your old school teachers didn't like you just because you had a mind - and wasn't afraid to voice it out. Sure, they'll do whatever they can to make life as a school prefect horrible for you. But you'll end up leaving that comprehensive in Malaysia and getting a music scholarship to a kick-ass English school in Taunton, where your sort of behavior is pretty refreshing. Especially when it's not peppered with profanity like some people.

Your "fall for a guy only if he's been a good friend" mantra is perfect - don't give it up just because no boy liked you enough in year 7-9. Come Sixth Form, that amazing guy who actually found you "annoying" when you first came to England actually ends up being your best friend, then falling for you later on. Kinda like the movies/fantasy-land; but it's true. And you'll end up going out for at least 10 months (and counting?)

People will still be pretty *****y in England, more so because you're not their stereotypical Asian student (you TALK, for a start. IN ENGLISH.) Two of your dorm-mates will end up climbing out of a window to avoid meeting you before breakfast, but you three will end up laughing about it later on.

Even the Asians in your school will be mean to you, and that's their problem. Your time in Malaysia is a gift; that exposure to people of different races is what sets you apart from them (being mostly from Hong Kong.) Your Chemistry teacher will actually make a note of this and comfort you - after you give a chemistry presentation to your chem class when they "evil-eye" you. So what if you're more accustomed to hanging out with the Brits? You don't diss your Cantonese classmates for their choice to "stick together", so why should they do that to you?

Sincerely,
      Your 18 year old self.

ReputationRep:
      Dear me (11)

You actually ain't that bad looking, you could probably get some 11 year old-minge with only a bit of effort.
      Also:Brush your god-damn teeth, actually go to school, avoid fights (even if you would happen to triumph in most), eat some fruit, don't wait until 23 to go to Uni, don't bother with college, computing is boring, there is no God, and drinking is pretty cool so start earlier.

ReputationRep:
      Age 11:
      I think you should go to a comp and not the grammar school. The supposed "worse" standard of teaching there would probably be balanced out by the higher amount of happiness you would have.

The kid who takes the piss out of your PE shorts will randomly start laughing at your jokes in 4 years time. Yeah, I don't know either.

Wear suncream when going skiing. Yeah, I know it sounds like a pointless idea but you're weird and you will get sunburnt in sub-zero temperatures. You learn a little bit about yourself and your peers on that trip but you will never want to go on another trip with them again.

Although you cried when we got knocked out, England's run in the '06 World Cup is more fun than their effort in 2010. We don't even qualify for Euro 2008! Try and get that girl's attention in the airport in Summer 2010, at least try and make eye contact, she's hot!

As I write this letter to you, at about 10 past 10 at night on Sunday the 19th December, you will be bored but content and that's OK.

You're a good lad and don't forget that.

Love Fandabidoze!

ReputationRep:
      It feels good doing that. I can actually picture me standing in front of this 11 year old me and telling him these things. Some peoples' letters are really heartfelt too.

Dear Self - Aged 13,

Never, ever, think that not caring makes things easier. It may seem that way, but it just makes it all the harder to find a reason to... Exist. Even when it seems hard, or if it feels like there is no one to care about... There always is... And you should appreciate that... For which I know you do. Just make sure YOU know you do.
      In the end, things turn out like that fairy-tale... You just need imagination to see it that way. Everything you care about falls into place, but it took so much longer because, even for that one second, you thought about not caring... That is never the way. Caring may hurt... It may leave you in agony... But its better than the emptiness of knowing you lost all those who you could care about.
      Remember... It is ALWAYS better to care enough to lose everything than to not care at all... And have nothing.

Yours Most Caring,
      Myself - Aged 18

ReputationRep:
      Dear Jenny, age 15

There's a world out there beyond curfews, boys and so-called friends. When he says jump don't say how high. Save your savings for Uni beause you end up getting into a really good course at a really decent Uni. Don't be so generous because nobody gives two ****s about you. Sleep with one eye open.

Love- Jenny, age 18

ReputationRep:
      This is a really really excellent thread. As Fandabidoze! said, it feels good.

ReputationRep:
      Dear Swabbie, aged 15.

Stop wasting so much time with those guys. They're boring, and that girl be crazy. Get out while you can.

Extend your wardrobe and get a haircut while you're at it.

Captain, aged 18.

ReputationRep:
      Dear lovely,

Dumbledore dies!

Regards baby.

ReputationRep:
      dear younger self:

start the GTL lifestyle, when jersey shore blows up you will have an advantage over the non-believers.

your GTL'd up self.

ReputationRep:
      15-year-old me,

It gets better from here. Don't give up.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by no chance)
      you won't go to Hogwarts, you know that already but really you should stop learning incantations.
      There is still hope...

Isn't there? :sad:

ReputationRep:
      Dear me aged 5,

Respect your parents because one day they won't be around to fall back on.

Also, don't water the plant by the TV. Despite good intentions, it will NOT go well.

From you, 12 years later

ReputationRep:
      Dear Portia (aged 13)

Mummy wants the best for you however she doesn't know what is best for you. Medicine wasn't ever for you, you will eventually do law.

The next few years are going to take you to places you could never imagine. Your going to go through more heart ache and carry more burdens than most people go through in a lifestyle.

I'm not sure why these things will happen to you however I must give you a heads up that they will.

Fear not though everything from the abuse to the drugs to the crazy friends you will meet and eventually fall out with are all going to make you a better person and things will get better.

Stop beating yourself up. Your human and we all make mistakes how you rise from the mistakes is all that counts.

The things you will go through will give you the wisdom to help others. As it all happens take it all in. Don't bury it cry and let it all out.

All your experiences will be a magic carpet which will transport you to the future.

DON'T do drugs in sixth form and go off the rails. You will have to repeat the year. Drugs are never the answer.

Most importantly Portia , LOVE yourself and accept yourself. Your insecurities and need to be someone else will lead you to embark on relationships you don't need and seek love from men who will never know the real you.

I do hope you realise you are amazing as you are.

Good Luck.

Love you

Portia (aged 19)

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.