Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Idiot drivers in the snow watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    Why didn't douchebag bmw driver wait until a suitable time to overtake?
    it might not of been suitable to pull over, especially in dangerous weather like this.
    (:
    I'd say if the BMW driver was behind the OP for long enough to be frustrated enough to be flashing his lights and waving his fists then there would have been somewhere he could have pulled over.

If someone needs to get past me then I let them, you don't know if they are on their way to an emergency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    I'd say if the BMW driver was behind the OP for long enough to be frustrated enough to be flashing his lights and waving his fists then there would have been somewhere he could have pulled over.

If someone needs to get past me then I let them, you don't know if they are on their way to an emergency.

Unless they have blue flashing lights, I'm not pulling over for them in this weather. Driving recklessly in this weather is what leads you to BECOME the emergency.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to stop long enough till the guy gets bored of beeping his horn, wait until he gets out then casually drive away!

ReputationRep:
    I had a massive tyre blow out yesterday at low speeds and went straight into a kerb. Bad times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Unless they have blue flashing lights, I'm not pulling over for them in this weather.
    I don't care what the weather is, if you're needlessly delaying someone else's progress then you should pull over. You may decide that the conditions are such that your limited driving skills would make it unsafe for you to proceed at a higher speed, and you may well be correct in your assessment, but what gives you the right to dictate that no-one behind you can make that decision for themselves? You don't own the **** ing road you know. If you're going less than the legal speed limit and someone is stuck behind you then you should pull in and let him past. I bet you're one of these ********s who drives down the outside lane on an empty motorway aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    It's basically an experience thing, some people just don't have the required experience to be able to drive properly in winter.
    I've never really had this problem... I learned to drive in the shetland islands and usually drive about 1000 miles a year in deep snow.

To be honest, I think there should be a skidpan assessment as part of the driving test. Winter tyres are all well and good, and they certainly help, but you can't beat a bit of skill and experience.

ReputationRep:
    People thinking you have the same grip in the snow as you do in the dry. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I don't care what the weather is, if you're needlessly delaying someone else's progress then you should pull over. You may decide that the conditions are such that your limited driving skills would make it unsafe for you to proceed at a higher speed, and you may well be correct in your assessment, but what gives you the right to dictate that no-one behind you can make that decision for themselves? You don't own the **** ing road you know. If you're going less than the legal speed limit and someone is stuck behind you then you should pull in and let him past. I bet you're one of these ********s who drives down the outside lane on an empty motorway aren't you?

I drive to the speed limit in these weather conditions. You should not make assumptions about my 'limited driving skills.' I warrant that I probably have more driving skills than you.

My response you quoted was aimed at people who EXCEED the speed limit in these sorts of weather conditions.

I bet you're one of these ********s who makes assumptions on a student forum and gets overly aggressive aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    I drive to the speed limit in these weather conditions. You should not make assumptions about my 'limited driving skills.' I warrant that I probably have more driving skills than you.

My response you quoted was aimed at people who EXCEED the speed limit in these sorts of weather conditions.

I bet you're one of these ********s who makes assumptions on a student forum and gets overly aggressive aren't you?
    Lol. Nice internet hardman act. Glad to hear you have mad good drivin skillz. I can bull **** too, check this out:

My driving is definitely better than yours. I'm an advanced driving instructor, former GP world champion and was voted "best driver in the world" for 18 straight years from 1993 to 2010, even though I actually only passed my test in 1999.

^that's what you sound like :top:^

Anyway, my posts was in response to your unnecessary antagonism towards anyone who drives faster than you, something that seems to be quite common in this thread and on TSR in general.

Look, different people feel comfortable driving at different speeds. If you are one of those who only feel safe driving at a lower speed, that doesn't make you "better" than a faster driver, it just makes you more nervous. This stupid idea that anyone who drives faster than your personal preferred speed is automatically a reckless maniac is utterly ridiculous. If you're holding someone up, then have some **** ing courtesy and get out of their way.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Nice internet hardman act. Glad to hear you have mad good drivin skillz. I can bull **** too, check this out:

My driving is definitely better than yours. I'm an advanced driving instructor, former GP world champion and was voted "best driver in the world" for 18 straight years from 1993 to 2010, even though I actually only passed my test in 1999.

Anyway, my posts was in response to your unnecessary antagonism towards anyone who drives faster than you, something that seems to be quite common in this thread and on TSR in general.

Look, different people feel comfortable driving at different speeds. If you are one of those who only feel safe driving at a lower speed, that doesn't make you "better" than a faster driver, it just makes you more nervous. This stupid idea that anyone who drives faster than your personal preferred speed is automatically a reckless maniac is utterly ridiculous. If you're holding someone up, then have some **** ing courtesy and get out of their way.
    I agree.

Then you laugh at them and drive past smugly when they fly off at the next corner! It is so full of win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I agree.

Then you laugh at them and drive past smugly when they fly off at the next corner! It is so full of win!
    I had this experience in shetland.
    I was overtaken in the snow by a guy in a mitubishi L200 pickup - he must have been doing about 50mph (I was at about 20 in my 98 civic on goodyear GT2s ).
    He didn't seem to get the idea that, whilst four wheel drive may help him get out of deep snow, it was going to do precisely sod all in his favour come the next corner...

And so, I came across him a few minutes later, standing next to his overturned pickup.
    Sadly (for him, since there's very little traffic in that part of the islands in mid-january, and there was no phone signal where he was stuck) he was on a hill, and if I had stopped for him I probably wouldn't have been able to get going again.

So I did the next best thing. I gave him a smile and a friendly wave and kept on driving

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Karma!

ReputationRep:

:rolleyes:

Internet hardman act? I think you were the one who started that my friend, due to your unnecessary name calling and assumptions.

As for my driving 'skills', I'm not claiming to be Michael Schumacher. I only mean that I have military-grade training in driving on snow and ice. My Dad was in the Paras and we got posted to Norway a year or so ago, where I was able to take driving lessons on the military camp which included snow and ice driving.

Did you not read my post? I already said that I drive to the speed limit in snow and ice (providing visibility is good, etc etc) so my 'unnecessary' antagonism towards people who drive faster than me in these conditions is not unnecessary at all.

Firstly, the speed limit is based on good conditions in mind. If someone is exceeding this in snow and ice, they are breaking the speed limit which is illegal.

Secondly, the majority of drivers who break the speed limit in snow and ice will not have the proper training to rectify a mistake they are bound to make, and are a danger to themselves and other people.

I have no qualms with them putting themselves at risk, if they die it's not my problem. But driving recklessly in icy conditions is putting other people at risk. If a relative of yours got hit by somebody driving recklessly in this weather, and came on here complaining about it (you seem like the sort of person to do so), I guarantee you nobody would call that 'unnecessary antagonism.'

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, the speed limit is based on good conditions in mind.
    While I agree with what you are saying in general (about idiots speading in the snow and ice), I don't agree with what I have quoted.

Many speed limits to seem somewhat random. Many twisty single track country lanes have a 60mph limit, despite it being near suicide to drive that fast down them. While other perfectly straight, modern bypasses are 30mph for no reason at all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah well if I drove any faster I would have ended up in the ditch with my little car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    (ps, my snow tyres = AWESOME) x
    How much are they? Do you have them on your drive wheels only?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    The thing that annoys me is when people drive with a foot of snow on top of the car and like instead of clearing the snow they just make like the tiniest hole in the windscreen.
    when he snow is falling off on the motorway people behind can't see a thing.
    You get an on the spot fine around here for that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    You get an on the spot fine around here for that!!
    killjoys

I'd let em past providing there was somewhere to pull over where I knew I could get moving again, it'd be tough titty on an uphill in these conditions.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

Internet hardman act?

I have military-grade training in driving on snow and ice. My Dad was in the Paras and we got posted to Norway a year or so ago, where I was able to take driving lessons on the military camp which included snow and ice driving.

lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Yeah well if I drove any faster I would have ended up in the ditch with my little car
    That's absolutely fine. No-one is saying that you should drive faster than you feel comfortable. But if some poor sod is stuck behind you for miles on end, then most people would pull over and let him go past. Why would you want to needlessly delay him? Do you go out with the intention of pissing other road users off? Are you some kind of motorway troll?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.